Wakefield Stadium News

FFS. Not another stadium topic.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

52 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry, mate!

Wasnt sure if it was new or old news, or even moving the story on.

Guess it depends on how much teeth a parliamentary rugby league group can have in an age of austerity?

Well they've written a letter. If that doesn't make things happen I don't know what will.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well they've written a letter. If that doesn't make things happen I don't know what will.

is it registered postage though? it might get lost if its not signed for

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry, mate!

See what you've done now, you've woke the kids up again.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Has it been built yet? :ph34r:

I walked across the site on Sunday and left a brick.  That puts us just one brick in front of Cas. ;)

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

no rl club is capable of building a complete new stadium on its own without the help of the local authority that's a fact !

You also need the help of other outside bodies like developers or soccer clubs fact !

In Wakefield we have a situation where the general public have had a rl club since the start of the game and it has performed reasonably well throughout its life time. However since the late 90's a guy took over the running of the council who totally hates the club. There is no point beating about the bush and making promises and  plans, whilst ever Box is in charge Wakefield will never get a stadium.

So should we kick the club out of SL and let it die

Or should we wait for Box to go and get a reasonable LA who are prepared to work with the club and find a solution ?

Even the mighty Leeds have not been able to do their ground development without local authority help. Carter has put a similar proposal together which copies the Leeds financial model, Box turned it down flat!

If the RFL wind the club up on Monday , that's their choice I suppose. But it is also a win for Box

2 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

no rl club is capable of building a complete new stadium on its own without the help of the local authority that's a fact !

You also need the help of other outside bodies like developers or soccer clubs fact !

In Wakefield we have a situation where the general public have had a rl club since the start of the game and it has performed reasonably well throughout its life time. However since the late 90's a guy took over the running of the council who totally hates the club. There is no point beating about the bush and making promises and  plans, whilst ever Box is in charge Wakefield will never get a stadium.

So should we kick the club out of SL and let it die

Or should we wait for Box to go and get a reasonable LA who are prepared to work with the club and find a solution ?

Even the mighty Leeds have not been able to do their ground development without local authority help. Carter has put a similar proposal together which copies the Leeds financial model, Box turned it down flat!

If the RFL wind the club up on Monday , that's their choice I suppose. But it is also a win for Box

I completely agree, being in Box's fiefdom has been dreadful for trin.

10 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

aren't other sports organisations in his fiefdom?

Indeed, but none have recieved anything like the contempt and lack of help as Trin. For example the official advice to Carter not to buy back Belle Vue/Superbowl from Bank of Ireland, the complete inaction on the councils part to ensure anything happens at Newmarket, more committed Wakefield fans could tell you more I'm sure. 

I'm not defending the financial mismanagement of the club by any means, but to ignore the role of the top levels of the council would be to deny reality also.

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, but none have recieved anything like the contempt and lack of help as Trin. For example the official advice to Carter not to buy back Belle Vue/Superbowl from Bank of Ireland, the complete inaction on the councils part to ensure anything happens at Newmarket, more committed Wakefield fans could tell you more I'm sure. 

I'm not defending the financial mismanagement of the club by any means, but to ignore the role of the top levels of the council would be to deny reality also.

well the other two clubs in wmd have in one way or another and with different results just got on with it themselves.

Just now, Tongs ya bas said:

well the other two clubs in wmd have in one way or another and with different results just got on with it themselves.

Cas don't have a brick laid at a new stadium and Fev have lingered in the second tier for god knows how long - their stadium is alright but they have the luxury of owning it, unlike Wakey. If you think wakey have not tried to just "get on with it" then I'm afraid you're not seeing the facts. Wakey have been persistent in trying to, with Council assistance, find a way to play in an improved stadium in the City of Wakefield. That this has abjectly failed is not the Clubs fault.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Cas don't have a brick laid at a new stadium and Fev have lingered in the second tier for god knows how long - their stadium is alright but they have the luxury of owning it, unlike Wakey. If you think wakey have not tried to just "get on with it" then I'm afraid you're not seeing the facts. Wakey have been persistent in trying to, with Council assistance, find a way to play in an improved stadium in the City of Wakefield. That this has abjectly failed is not the Clubs fault.

That's what I meant by different results tommy. Owning isn't a luxury, Wakefield owned their stadium. Why don't they now? And Featherstone have made it 'alright': more than alright actually with their own bare hands and initiative. Both Featherstone and Wakefield had their stadiums bought from them by the council in the eighties and rented back to them on very favourable terms including maintenance. The council sold them back to the clubs extremely cheaply. So in that sense both were on an equal footing. Featherstone now have a very well appointed stadium with still to be fair some room for improvement, whilst Wakefield despite being in super league, with let's face it next to nothing to show for it, play in what looks like down town Tirana. And still blaming the council. Work has started on castlefords stadium, or at least they are making it looks like it had. The whole story is one of wasted opportunity in a large rugby league friendly confirmation.

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes, and I believe he's a shareholder of one of them.........

I don't see how that is relevant at this level. Box has all sorts of rugby league interests including disabled rugby league. He cares about the sport. Do you really think he would do down one club because he supported another? I honestly don't believe that to be right.

1 minute ago, Tongs ya bas said:

That's what I meant by different results tommy. Owning isn't a luxury, Wakefield owned their stadium. Why don't they now? And Featherstone have made it 'alright': more than alright actually with their own bare hands and initiative. Both Featherstone and Wakefield had their stadiums bought from them by the council in the eighties and rented back to them on very favourable terms including maintenance. The council sold them back to the clubs extremely cheaply. So in that sense both were on an equal footing. Featherstone now have a very well appointed stadium with still to be fair some room for improvement, whilst Wakefield despite being in super league, with let's face it next to nothing to show for it, play in what looks like down town Tirana. And still blaming the council. Work has started on castlefords stadium, or at least they are making it looks like it had. The whole story is one of wasted opportunity in a large rugby league friendly confirmation.

Come on. You can get away with peddling half truths on the nut job forum., but not on here. 

True, the council took over the stadium when the clubs existence was previously under threat, but they made a tidy profit on the rent and resale. The £1 often quoted was the nominal amount paid at work exchange of contracts. The full price was more than the council paid. 

Archived