Player of the season (regular season)

ram1999k

Now the split is among us and there is no rugby to talk about for a week thought I'd give my opinion on who's been my stand out players this season so far: 

Aaron Brown - The lad has been unplayable at times under Kelly, the freedom he is being given is really showing as he is the Brown we saw three seasons ago; a real loose canon all over the park again and is a pleasure to watch.  

Dom Speakman - A controversial pick I suppose as I know more people who don't rate him than do however he is one of the few players who held his hand up from the start of the season now; surely played some of the most minutes for us this year! He isn't scared to try different things at the line when we are struggling to break through a defence and has a solid tackle rate too -- very underrated in my opinion. 

Gareth Moore - In his short time at the Rams Moore has unlocked defences tirelessly, added on field passion to the team, given us the moment where our season flipped against Oldham and delivered us with what we have all craved since Thacks' departure (real scrum half). As long as he doesn't grow his hair back I'm sure we will continue to see the best of Moore. 

Jack 'TEANBYYYYY' - Takes three men with him almost every time he has a carry, frequently breaks tackles and one of the best work rates in the squad. Definitely the future of the Rams is Jack. 

Dale Morton - The consistent superman, that's all I'll say. 

Honorble mentions for Glover, Walshaw, Day, Ward and Sherife. 

Defo A. Brown :girlglasses:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

A few candidates for me,more so since Neil Kelly took charge.

Josh Guzdek.I know he's missed a big chunk of the season but he's a joy to watch,hope we can keep him.

Dale Morton.Mr consistency,I know he's got his critics, especially on the south stand but for me he does alot of good things but unfortunately some supporters pick up on his odd mistake he makes.

James Glover. Another player that's really improved as the season as progressed, especially under Ned Kelly, play's anywhere he's asked, unfortunately I can't make my mind up which is his best position.

Paul Sykes. Again under Ned Kelly he's come to the fore and really helped the younger players around him, just wish he had a better relationship with officials.

Jode Sheriffe. Been one of the best signings we've made this season, always ready to take the ball up and never shirks when it's getting a bit heated,alot of supporters me included was a bit sceptical when we signed him due to his history with injuries.

Jack Teanby.Had another good season for me, another player that as got a good future in the game, hopefully it will be at the Rams.

Toby Adamson. He's been a different player since his brother Luke left the club.

Robbie Ward. Been another good signing,good defender and quick round play the ball.

Sam Day. I know he's not been here long but for me he's been impressive, I'd love to see him sign a permanent contract.

Lucas Walshaw. Tbh I thought he was pretty average at beginning of season along with majority of the team but since Neil Kelly came in he's been the player we knew he was, good going forward and aggressive in defence,but imo he's a 2nd row and not a centre.

Aaron Brown. Had a great season for me,my nomination for player of year. Unfortunately is upturn in form as as brought him to the attention of the so-called bigger championship clubs.

Dom Speakman. Been impressed with Dom this season, always puts his body on the line and aggressive defence, another player that as plenty of critic's amongst the supporters.

Special mention to Garreth Moore, Macaulay Hallatt & Shaun Squires who've all contributed to the Rams since Neil Kelly brought them to the club.

I think that we have to look across the whole season, not just the recent games where we have enjoyed success and euphoria. Whilst I, like many, prefer to consign the memories of those early games to the back of my mind, we should consider those players in particular who were performing creditably in adversity. My three would be:

1. Dale Morton - he has been consistent throughout, never let us down, putting a real shift in every game and brave as they come.

2. Jack Teanby - not the biggest prop that you will ever see but never takes a backward step, played on through injury and played as many minutes as he was asked without complaint.

3. Jode Sheriffe - the surprise package for me. Takes the ball up into the hard areas, plays it quickly, never stops, a real workhorse and very consistent. the kind of player without whom a team cannot function.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think that we have to look across the whole season, not just the recent games where we have enjoyed success and euphoria. Whilst I, like many, prefer to consign the memories of those early games to the back of my mind, we should consider those players in particular who were performing creditably in adversity. My three would be:

1. Dale Morton - he has been consistent throughout, never let us down, putting a real shift in every game and brave as they come.

2. Jack Teanby - not the biggest prop that you will ever see but never takes a backward step, played on through injury and played as many minutes as he was asked without complaint.

3. Jode Sheriffe - the surprise package for me. Takes the ball up into the hard areas, plays it quickly, never stops, a real workhorse and very consistent. the kind of player without whom a team cannot function.

Can't argue with any of them choices, and all the players have played a part for me this season.

Dale Morton for my vote

For his consistency and never say die attitude. 

56 minutes ago, coolie said:

Can't argue with any of them choices, and all the players have played a part for me this season.

Dale Morton for my vote

For his consistency and never say die attitude. 

I probably wont be voting for Dale because of his occasional defensive aberrations but if  we were voting on effort and attitude over a whole season it would be hard to choose someone else and he would be a worthy winner.  Jodie and Jack have also been immense and would also begood choices.  However, and despite what BSJ says about the whole season  I will be voting for Gareth Moore.  He has only played 7/8 games to date but has another 7 to come and I think he's been the catalyst (along with Ned of course) for our sudden change in fortune.  It's not just his skills but the effect he has had on others; Sykes is a new man as are Speakman and Browny.  The upping of their games since Gareth appeared is incredible.  As I've posted before I also love his attitude and believe this has been a massive factor. Check out the highlights; Gareth is always first to congratulate the try scorers, usually be leaping all over them and this is something that we were really missing.  If he stays fit for the next 7 games and things continue the way they are he has my vote.

Special mention too for Daniel O.  He was immense at a time when we were truly shocking...

49 minutes ago, NickD said:

Special mention too for Daniel O.  He was immense at a time when we were truly shocking...

Daniel O?

Daniel O'Donnell? A tactical signing by Ned from his times at Ulster RU!

1 hour ago, NickD said:

I probably wont be voting for Dale because of his occasional defensive aberrations but if  we were voting on effort and attitude over a whole season it would be hard to choose someone else and he would be a worthy winner.  Jodie and Jack have also been immense and would also begood choices.  However, and despite what BSJ says about the whole season  I will be voting for Gareth Moore.  He has only played 7/8 games to date but has another 7 to come and I think he's been the catalyst (along with Ned of course) for our sudden change in fortune.  It's not just his skills but the effect he has had on others; Sykes is a new man as are Speakman and Browny.  The upping of their games since Gareth appeared is incredible.  As I've posted before I also love his attitude and believe this has been a massive factor. Check out the highlights; Gareth is always first to congratulate the try scorers, usually be leaping all over them and this is something that we were really missing.  If he stays fit for the next 7 games and things continue the way they are he has my vote.

Excuse my pedantry once more Nick but the original poster did specify the "regular season", i.e. the games up to and including last Sunday's, hence the reason that I didn't include GM in my picks. This does not diminish in any way my admiration for his input since he joined us, I'm just a stickler for them rules.

:P

When it comes to voting for the player of the season after the 8's then my choice might well be different, of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, NickD said:

+1

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Excuse my pedantry once more Nick but the original poster did specify the "regular season", i.e. the games up to and including last Sunday's, hence the reason that I didn't include GM in my picks. This does not diminish in any way my admiration for his input since he joined us, I'm just a stickler for them rules.

:P

When it comes to voting for the player of the season after the 8's then my choice might well be different, of course.

Damn your Vulcan logic BSJ. I will still be voting GM even if it's on 7 games?

Just now, NickD said:

Damn your Vulcan logic BSJ. I will still be voting GM even if it's on 7 games?

:yahoo:

If you go the full season for me - Aaron Brown, 2nd Jack Teanby 3rd Dale Morton.

most improved - Don Speakman.

ones to watch for the future IF they stay - Sam Day, James Glover

Honourable mentions and would keep them all - Sheriffe, Sykes, Hallett, Adamson, Moore ?

Up The Rams

Mirfield Rams

10 minutes ago, MirfieldRams said:

If you go the full season for me - Aaron Brown, 2nd Jack Teanby 3rd Dale Morton.

Honourable mentions and would keep them all - Sheriffe, Sykes, Hallett, Adamson, Moore ?

Agree 100%

12 minutes ago, MirfieldRams said:

James Glover and Lucas Walshaw are on 2 year deals for 2017 and 2018.

Sam Day will return to Fev at the end of the Season.

I also agree with keeping all the players mentioned but doing that is only governed by 2 factors - what we can afford to offer and what other clubs offer them.

1 hour ago, Wilsden Ram said:

I also agree with keeping all the players mentioned but doing that is only governed by 2 factors - what we can afford to offer and what other clubs offer them.

Does this mean we won't be signing Sam Day then?

I think Sam day and Dewsbury are a good fit,and it would be the best move for Sam...sometimes been comfortable and relaxed in your surroundings should outweigh a quest for money,lads learning his trade,getting first team rugby at a club far more stable than Featherstone. 

I'll await robin & his merry men to come knocking ;)

Team o cast-offs :tease:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

14 hours ago, Wilsden Ram said:

Well I admire your honesty Wilsden. It seems the general opinion on here is that without the inspired signing of GM, the other players would already be scratching round for new clubs next season - even with Ned in charge. Whether it be Moore or somebody else, we need a quality scrum half for next season, or we might well be looking over our shoulders again come the eights. If our budget IS so tight, It would seem our best hope is that the Rams set up best suits Moore's business commitments.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I don't think it is either allowed or correct to talk with players who are still contracted to other clubs, is it? Maybe something might emerge with Sam but only after the deadline, whenever that is.

42 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I don't think it is either allowed or correct to talk with players who are still contracted to other clubs, is it? Maybe something might emerge with Sam but only after the deadline, whenever that is.

Think you right BSJ about not talking to players that are under contract, doesn't seem to stop clubs approaching our players though does it?

Archived