Wolfcast Toronto going to SOME of the Super 8s

Hello everyone..  finally getting around to this.. :)

We (Wolfcast Toronto) are a pair of new(ish) rugby fans following the Toronto Wolfpack and all things rugby now that we've become hooked. We've managed to book our flights out to Manchester for August 5th and trying to see as much Rugby (and possibly other events when we are there) and would really appreciate any thoughts on what to see / who to see / where to go etc from those of you immersed in the Rugby world.

Ideally, something on Twitter (@wolfcastto) would be the best way to communicate to us, as only 1/2 of us is on this site, at least via the login with twitter option.

We will be there from the 5-15 of August and have already been in contact with Keighley Cougars (apparently pronounced Keeth-lee?? Not sure how it reads that way.. ) who have set us up for that game and invited us to the post game karaoke with the team. 

Look forward to a great rugby adventure..

Chris
Wolfcast Toronto

Wolfcast Toronto
https://twitter.com/wolfcastto

1 hour ago, wolfcastto said:

We (Wolfcast Toronto) are a pair of new(ish) rugby fans following the Toronto Wolfpack and all things rugby now that we've become hooked. We've managed to book our flights out to Manchester for August 5th and trying to see as much Rugby (and possibly other events when we are there) and would really appreciate any thoughts on what to see / who to see / where to go etc from those of you immersed in the Rugby world.

Ideally, something on Twitter (@wolfcastto) would be the best way to communicate to us, as only 1/2 of us is on this site, at least via the login with twitter option.

We will be there from the 5-15 of August and have already been in contact with Keighley Cougars (apparently pronounced Keeth-lee?? Not sure how it reads that way.. ) who have set us up for that game and invited us to the post game karaoke with the team. 

Chris
Wolfcast Toronto

Top place and a great bunch at ' Keeth lee ' despite being Yorkshire , you'll enjoy your visit 

1 hour ago, wolfcastto said:

Chris
Wolfcast Toronto

Where you staying (area)?

Morning,enjoy your rugby adventure but also remember that you are very close to numerous glourious areas.With the best will in the world,some traditional rugby grounds are located in not the most pleasing of positions,yet within a short drive there are loads of delightful places to see.

For example,nobody would go to Keighley for a day out,yet you will get a very warm,homely friendly welcome.However,just north is the market town of Skipton - the Gateway to the Dales - with the villages of Grassington and Burnsall close by.Harrogate/Ilkley are very prosperous.Alternatively,south of Keighley is Bronte Country and Haworth.

Same on the other side of the Pennines(Lancashire),a traditional industrial area,yet you are within an hours drive of the Lake District - Keswick is truely delicious,located immediately adjacent to the Lake and maybe Kendal,or drive west to north Wales and Snowdonia,or even south into the exclusive Cheshire towns/villages of Knutsford,Nantwich etc.

Finally,on the Lancashire side you have the tourist,Roman town of Chester or on the Yorkshire side,York itself.

I assume you'll be based in either Manchester or Leeds,both are now major,successful,international,cosmopolitan cities.

What I'm trying to say politely,is to enjoy your homely,rugby days but on other days take in the countryside/tourist spots et - the contrast is enormous.It's not like Canada,most places are within an hour or so's drive of Manchester/Leeds.Try and get a ticket for one of the newer Super League grounds like Warrington or St.Helens but remember Leeds(Headingley) is about to under go major redevelopment,so you'll be unlikely to get a ticket for their remaining home games.

2 hours ago, wolfcastto said:

Great stuff, are you taking in just TWP matches or going to some Qualifiers and Super 8 games?

I'm off to see The Dragons v Centurions in my Catalan shirt on the 19th can't wait should be a cracker!

And by the way, although you may not realise this you're a wonderful reminder of why we're all here and what a great sport this is which is all too easy to forget in the mid-rant and posturing that forums tend to be all too often.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Great stuff, are you taking in just TWP matches or going to some Qualifiers and Super 8 games?

I'm off to see The Dragons v Centurions in my Catalan shirt on the 19th can't wait should be a cracker!

And by the way, although you may not realise this you're a wonderful reminder of why we're all here and what a great sport this is which is all too easy to forget in the mid-rant and posturing that forums tend to be all too often.

We are planning to get to the two TWP games (home team kind of mentality) but also some of the other ones as well.. now the fixtures are out (and some delayed) we will have to have a look and see.. also get some suggestions and thoughts of what we should try to get to...

Want to see if we can get to the Worcester Warriors friendly on the 12th (or maybe if the team has practice day) but not sure scheduling will allow.

Turns out my friend in Toronto (who now I chat about rugby with) went to high School with David Denton.. :) Small rugby world.

I don't realize it, or at least I didn't. What I do know is that I don't know enough to rant or posture, nor do I want to. (posture, not know more)

Wolfcast Toronto

4 hours ago, wolfcastto said:

Chris
Wolfcast Toronto

If you were planning to go to Leigh SV and have googled "Leigh Rail Station" yes it's true, your eyes are not deceiving you. Railway Road in Leigh is also a red herring ;)

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you were planning to go to Leigh SV and have googled "Leigh Rail Station" yes it's true, your eyes are not deceiving you. Railway Road in Leigh is also a red herring ;)

Had not previously heard of Leigh SV. This is the sports village complex, I gather? Looks pretty good.. the one location we looked up was Sixways.. which was slightly terrifying learning it was so named for the 6 major access paths to it.. :)

I need more time (no, coffee) to fully understand and research what exactly google is trying to tell me.. it, after all, is 6:02am right now and I've been awake a while checking the fixtures...

Wolfcast Toronto

39 minutes ago, wolfcastto said:

I don't realize it, or at least I didn't. What I do know is that I don't know enough to rant or posture, nor do I want to. (posture, not know more)

Neither does anyone else. In fact knowing nothing is the prerequisite of being angry so that won't defend you against becoming one of the unhappy *( sort of like Zomby for Forum Dweller) but the standby trusty weapons like garlic for the ones who voted Brexit, a silver bullet for anyone anti Wolf-pack and a sense of humour that has weathered most storms in a teacup will see you through.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, wolfcastto said:

Chris
Wolfcast Toronto

Chris I think the key is finding out when teams have their game days and working around that. Leeds and Wigan for example, often play on Fridays and clubs like Castleford, Wakefield etc. regularly play on Sundays for non-TV games. Most non-televised Championship and League one games are Sunday afternoons. However, a few in League 1 (Hemel, Toulouse, Skolarls) prefer a Saturday. This can really help with planning.

If your at a loose end, you would be able to turn up to one of the many amateaur clubs and reciebe a really warm welcome. 

There may be junior festivals on too, you'd be really surprised at the skill and ability of he budding youngsters. 

Great to see you coming over. if you're unfamiliar with the differences then please note that Worcester Warriorsare a Rugby Union side and not a Rugby League side, they are different sports with very different rules. Also Worcester is quite a way south of Manchester. Rugby Union is a slower and more complex game than you might have gotten used to watching Rugby League

If you are not familiar, it might be smart to get a bit of history behind the two different sports, there's a very strong rivalry and rich history. Personally I enjoy both, but find league more entertaining overall.

Basically, but not exclusively, Northern England, Australia, Auckland, Perpignan, PNG and now Toronto = League. Rest of UK, Ireland, France, Rest of New Zealand, Pacific Islands and South Africa = Union

Here's a video on YouTube that may help out a lot if you are unfamiliar

3 minutes ago, Roughyedz said:

As an introduction to why Rugby League came about, may I suggest you get hold of a paper back book called "Rugby's Berlin Wall"

1501069668400274129833.jpg

The Forbidden Game would be a great read too.

IMG_1172.JPG

If you are looking to fill the time between attending games I would recommend the National Coal Mining Museum near Wakefield/   Huddersfield/ Leeds. They will take you deep underground and show you the conditions people endured. It fits well with your tour of Rugby League land as a lot of the early Rugby League players were miners and you will get a sense of the background from which League was born.

( Of the 2300 reviews on trip advisor 85% rated it excellent. The conditions for the children working underground were mind blowing.)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1886505-d188691-Reviews-National_Coal_Mining_Museum_for_England-Overton_Wakefield_West_Yorkshire_England.html

6 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Where you staying (area)?

Great question..  nothing like the answer I have for you..   uhm..  the UK? :)

Dario - the other half of us is putting that all together as that's one of his " things "

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.. but better to be tweeted if possible, as that's Dario's area more than here.

Wolfcast Toronto

29 minutes ago, Yosser said:

If you are looking to fill the time between attending games I would recommend the National Coal Mining Museum near Wakefield/   Huddersfield/ Leeds. They will take you deep underground and show you the conditions people endured. It fits well with your tour of Rugby League land as a lot of the early Rugby League players were miners and you will get a sense of the background from which League was born.

( Of the 2300 reviews on trip advisor 85% rated it excellent. The conditions for the children working underground were mind blowing.)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1886505-d188691-Reviews-National_Coal_Mining_Museum_for_England-Overton_Wakefield_West_Yorkshire_England.html

Thanks.. will pass that along.

Wolfcast Toronto

Hello all..

Would it be possible for anyone that wants to discuss anything regarding our trip to the UK to do so on our twitter account? It would be helpful for my partner in crime (the " planner " for trying to schedule things and find out about things to do) as he doesn't connect here.  More followers wouldn't hurt us or be a bad thing for rugby either. :)

Chris

Wolfcast Toronto

1 hour ago, Forestgravy said:

Great to see you coming over. if you're unfamiliar with the differences then please note that Worcester Warriorsare a Rugby Union side and not a Rugby League side, they are different sports with very different rules. Also Worcester is quite a way south of Manchester. Rugby Union is a slower and more complex game than you might have gotten used to watching Rugby League

If you are not familiar, it might be smart to get a bit of history behind the two different sports, there's a very strong rivalry and rich history. Personally I enjoy both, but find league more entertaining overall.

Basically, but not exclusively, Northern England, Australia, Auckland, Perpignan, PNG and now Toronto = League. Rest of UK, Ireland, France, Rest of New Zealand, Pacific Islands and South Africa = Union

Here's a video on YouTube that may help out a lot if you are unfamiliar

Lol!! I think it was one of our followers that sent us that link a while back.. great video! Certainly getting to know the differences and a little bit of the history, but not enough of the nuances. Fortunately, one of my friends is a massive rugby fan so every other weekend or so, I go to his place, watch the weekend F1 race and then he " tutors " me on the recorded games and explains things bit by bit.

Getting there.. but a long road ahead.

Wolfcast Toronto

Archived