Rugby League World Magazine - On Sale Now

RLWAug17_sidebar.png

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 426 (AUGUST 2017) - IN SHOPS FRIDAY 28th JULY

DIGITAL EDITION AVAILABLE ONLINE NOW - www.totalrl.com/rlw436

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR...

It’s been a long time coming, but Salford Red Devils finally seem to be emerging from the shadows to establish themselves as a major force in the game. After last season’s great escape in the Million Pound Game, they are challenging for top honours this year and we take a look at how our cover stars have turned things around in a special feature.

Should Rugby League players have more of a say in how the game is run, how much they earn and more control over their welfare at work? How can they achieve that following the demise of the players union League 13? We investigate those issues and contrast the situation here in Britain with the position in Australia where players have much more clout.

Staying down under, as the Queensland Maroons chalk up another State of Origin victory, we ask if the success of that tournament could actually be damaging the NRL.

Former England boss Steve McNamara has returned from the NRL to take up the challenge at Catalans Dragons and he tells us about his plans to revitalise the underachieving French club.

We catch up with Super League stars Morgan Knowles (Saints), Tom Briscoe (Leeds), Tony Clubb (Wigan) plus Leigh’s new signing Daniel Mortimer and ask top Championship coaches if there is a glass ceiling blocking their chances of progressing to a higher level.

In addition to all this we have our regular line up of grassroots, women’s and international features to make Rugby League World a great read for the whole game.

If you haven't bought the mag for a while, now's the time to dive right back in. If you're new to Rugby League World, give it a try, we hope you enjoy it!

Once you had a read, come back and tell us your thoughts, we encourage feedback from our readers and use it to make the mag even better in future.

John Drake, Editor

Not got mine yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I see the 'Curse of the RLW Cover' is atill alive and kicking.;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:59 PM, tonyXIII said:

Not got mine yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I see the 'Curse of the RLW Cover' is atill alive and kicking.;)

Let us know what you think of the mag once you receive it, Tony.

Rather than there being any kind of 'curse', we like to think of our covers as displaying the unpredictability of Rugby League. Honest, guv! ;)

We prepare the covers a month in advance, so it's nigh on impossible to know if whichever club or player we choose to put on there will be flying high by the time it lands on the shelves. 

The next one's due out the day before Wembley, so if we put both Wigan and Hull FC on the cover, we can be 50% certain I suppose!!

With Salford, we thought they were overdue a cover, and the feature inside is more on the general transformation that has taken place since the Million Pound Game last year that has put the club in the top four and the Cup semi final this year. Even if the season doesn't end with silverware, the Reds have been in the hunt for it, rather than battling relegation, so that kind of genuine progress deserves acknowledgement, I think.

But yeah, if they'd won the semi final, we'd probably have sold more copies.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I bought a copy, enjoyed the writing and can recommend to others.

In fact, I wish it was bigger and personally would pay more for it, but I accept there's probably a sweetspot with the pricing.

Will Rugby League World be planning an end of season type review?

Glad you enjoyed the mag. :)

We'll be having a wrap of the domestic season in the issue due out at the end of October, which will also be our World Cup preview issue. Something for everyone!

I've sent you an email, John. My thoughts on the first 20-odd pages. Some good, some not so good. I still like the magazine and will still buy it.

I'll finish off my thoughts later on this week.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived