Have Castleford Peaked too Early?

Castleford are steamrollering everyone this year..  however like Warrington in years gone bye will they have enough in the tank come business end of the season?

They have been near the top for the last few years and missed out on the LLS in perpignan a couple of years ago in the last game... then crashed out with a fizzle to saints.

They may have peaked too Early??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Castleford are steamrollering everyone but Hull FC this year.

Edited for accuracy... 

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The 1st fixture of the Super 8's will be a good indicator.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I don't think we have no - we have Webster, Milner, Moors, Holmes and Patrick to come into the squad on top of those that beat Catalans so can see us getting even stronger

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

....and Eden of course but not sure on his timeframe

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

It is something like only a 50% success rate of the LLS winners going on to win the Grand Final so a win isnt guaranteed, as we know, this is sport, but Cas are doing what they should, going out playibg great Rugby, if they fall short at the end, so be it, they go again next year.

I dont think they have peaked too soon, and have no distractions with the cup. Now it gets interesting.

They've got it all in their own hands , and the prized home semi . I guess a worry in a paradoxical way may be that they're so far ahead they may lack a little intensity in the 8s while others need to go full on and be toughened for a semi , while Cas will have to lift again . But I guess keeping up their level comes from Powell and within the team , but it's just something to take into account . 

Having Moors back will be a big boost.

I think a lot of it is confidence and if they lose a match or two they need to keep a level head.

Knockout rugby is brutal though and I think any of the likes of Saints, Leeds, Wigan, Hull etc fired up and with a final in sight will be a big threat to Cas.

Salford and Wakey have the same issue as Cas - good seasons but don't have the knock out rugby calibre at the moment.

I hope not too. I’m Leeds born and bred and grew up down the road in Garforth and have plenty of friends in Cas. If Leeds doesn’t win it I’d love Castleford to pick it up.

It is Castleford’s to lose for sure.

They have failed in the cup which ironically appears to be a good thing for your Grand Final chances. In the past we have seen many teams prior to but especially after the cup final, suffer terrible form.

Cas have won the LLS at a canter which will enable them to rest key personnel in the run up to their semi which can only help with being physically fresh.

I do have a couple of concerns for them though.

Whilst they have undoubtedly played the best rugby and deserve all the accolades they get, they have had the huge benefit of a very settled team. I’ve posted this before but their entire backline has been consistent from round 1 barring an odd game where Powell has rested them. They have started to pick up a few injuries now but not so much to their backline barring Eden.

I also echo what has been said already regarding intensity. In 2 or 3 weeks Castleford will claim the LLS, they will then have 4 or 5 dead rubber games. It will be hard for those players to raise their game and keep that intensity when nothing is on the line.

Another thing to consider, almost all of their players do not have the big game experience. How many will be absolutely desperate to get to the Grand Final. All of them. How many then, will be 100% committed during those dead rubber games for fear of injury and missing out.

Powell has arguably the biggest task of his year so far actually keeping them simmering and all fit. That ‘we can beat anyone’ confidence will quickly disappear on the back of a few losses which can easily happen if players get injured and/or lose intensity.

13 hours ago, yipyee said:

Castleford are steamrollering everyone this year..  however like Warrington in years gone bye will they have enough in the tank come business end of the season?

They have been near the top for the last few years and missed out on the LLS in perpignan a couple of years ago in the last game... then crashed out with a fizzle to saints.

They may have peaked too Early??

How do we know Cas aren't going to get better?  I haven't heard anything from  to say there isn't room for improvement.  

Dont forget, Hardisty is still to come back.

I do not get this "it is ours to lose".

Yes we should win the LLS but as has been proved before that is no guarantee of further success in the play offs.

The likes of Hull, Saints, Leeds and Wigan know they have to, and will, lift their intensity going forward. The question is, can Cas lift to the next level? Truth be known, I don't know, but it's going to be one hell of a journey!

The LLS would be massive for Cas and would represent a great season. I know all the "big" clubs say it means nothing but if that is the case why did Leeds win the treble and not the double. It obviously meant something to them and rightly so.

2 hours ago, Davc1h said:

I do not get this "it is ours to lose".

Yes we should win the LLS but as has been proved before that is no guarantee of further success in the play offs.

The likes of Hull, Saints, Leeds and Wigan know they have to, and will, lift their intensity going forward. The question is, can Cas lift to the next level? Truth be known, I don't know, but it's going to be one hell of a journey!

The LLS would be massive for Cas and would represent a great season. I know all the "big" clubs say it means nothing but if that is the case why did Leeds win the treble and not the double. It obviously meant something to them and rightly so.

Doesn't it come with 100k? 

Well worth it for any club!

Rugby is a game of fine margins and anything can happen come the semi finals.  If it ends up Cas, Leeds, Hull and Saints (my predictions) in the semis I'd give each of the four a very similar chance even on current form.

Cas have (hopefully) provided a great platform to attack the semi final and aim for the grand final, that's assuming that we wrap the LLS up quickly.  As things stand we have key players returning from injury and hopefully the luxury of been able to rest players as required in the run up to the semi.  Hopefully this will give us that fine margin advantage.

I disagree with the arguement Cas have nothing to play for in the 8's.  To name a few we have:

The LLS to wrap up

Unbeaten home record - I'm sure all concerned would love to maintain that.

Players trying to secure a place in the 17 for semi final.

Potentially 10 players playing for a place in their respective world cup squads.

A couple of players in contention for MOS.

With these factors add coaching motivation and pride I can't see the players easing up deliberately.  Id guess on occasions we will rest key players during the 8's. However you could argue the squad players will be as, if not more, determined to try and win a place in the 17 in view of the forthcoming semi final (Jy Hitchcox recent performances for example of a squad player raising his game)

If Hull don't win it then I hope Cas do! Would be fascinating to watch them in the World Club Challenge. Their brand of free-flowing rugby against the very structured but very accomplished Aussie brand. Could make for an interesting game!

It's very hard to look past Leeds for GF winners this year. Cas have flattered to deceive  number of times in recent years, and I see this year as being another one.

Wigan won't make the top 4 so you can rule them out immediately. Salford look to be running out of steam, and Saints will be much better next year than they are this. Leeds have the players, the pedigree, the coach, and the experience to go all the way this season.

21 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

It's very hard to look past Leeds for GF winners this year. Cas have flattered to deceive  number of times in recent years, and I see this year as being another one.

Wigan won't make the top 4 so you can rule them out immediately. Salford look to be running out of steam, and Saints will be much better next year than they are this. Leeds have the players, the pedigree, the coach, and the experience to go all the way this season.

Yep - that experience was in abundance yesterday 

Flattered to deceive? Have you seen the league table?

6 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Yep - that experience was in abundance yesterday 

Flattered to deceive? Have you seen the league table?

Resting players backfired... However most clubs dont go flat out all season. Cas have and they may pay for it in the run in!

I don't think Cas have peaked early but the Top 4 playoffs are a different beast and sorts the men from the boys; knock out rugby. Cas will definitely be in it but will they beat Hull when it really matters... no idea but it'll be exciting! 

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Resting players backfired... However most clubs dont go flat out all season. Cas have and they may pay for it in the run in!

I'm not sure we have gone flat out.  We rested players vs Saints.  We got a rest this week and could have as many as 6 weeks in the run up to the semi as confirmed winners of the LLS were winning as luxury rather than necessity. 

I'd argue that (all being well) we may be the only team with a shout at making the semi final that doesn't have to go flat out for the remainder of the season

Archived