Have Castleford Peaked too Early?

5 hours ago, Bootroombob said:

Absolute ######,the team that wins the league wins the lls. Hull,Leeds,Cas and probably saints go into the semis.Anyone of them could become the grand final winners but over 30 games the team who finishes top should get the glory. Needs re-addressing,its only because of sky that the grand final is the grand prize. There's st Helens thinking we've had a torrid season but we've turned a corner,we'll win the biggest prize 10 points behind cas? Might as well do away with the warm ups and jump to the semis.

TBF 

Change cas to saints and saints to Leeds and that's the only reason Leeds have been such a good team over the last 10 years...

Leeds kept winning from low down when saints were dominant...however everyone says Leeds were dominant because they kept winning the final after playing well in an 8 team play off!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not really heaped praise on Cas this year like a lot of people have. I think there are flaws there that the top teams can get at, and so far we have no idea how they will deal with the big stage. At this moment in time I would rather put my money on Hull or Saints to win the GF. However, they have undoubtedly played the best rugby this year and their level of consistency has been remarkable. Whatever happens now its a season that Cas fans will remember for a long time to come and rightly so. It's too early to say whether we have already seen their best this year and it's crazy for anyone to suggest that losing a dead rubber game last week is them starting to choke.

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

TBF 

Change cas to saints and saints to Leeds and that's the only reason Leeds have been such a good team over the last 10 years...

Leeds kept winning from low down when saints were dominant...however everyone says Leeds were dominant because they kept winning the final after playing well in an 8 team play off!

I think the lowest won the GF from was 5th.Even then people like yourself insinuated that they deliberately finished 5th for an easy run in.I'd love to be able to coach a side that had the ability to work games so they finished in a certain league position.

You word it like they continually won from 7th & 8th.

Cas have played some scintillating rugby and fully deserve the LLS.As DaveT said earlier it needs a bit more prestige but the GF is the main prize.

The team that handles the pressure of playoff rugby the best will be deserved winners.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

6 hours ago, DEANO said:

Or the team finishing top that get a few injuries for the last few cup games win nowt

Which cup games are they? The cup is done and dusted for all but 2 teams? 

I think you need to learn a thing or two about RL as you are coming across a tad silly....

9 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Yes but both Saints and Leeds knew the rules at the start of the season, and knew the winners of the Grand Final are the Champions. It isn't like Saints didn't know that and they were surprised with it once they had finished top. Leeds were dominant because they won when it mattered on the big stage, whereas Saints couldn't step up when the intensity increased. Leeds were deserved Champions for winning when all the pressure was on, and I say that as a man who suffered through every single one of those Grand Finals. 

I agree 100% however there's a few deluded folk on here who praise Leeds for being dominant but then say Cas are rightful champions regardless of what they actually win!

7 hours ago, terrywebbisgod said:

I think the lowest won the GF from was 5th.Even then people like yourself insinuated that they deliberately finished 5th for an easy run in.I'd love to be able to coach a side that had the ability to work games so they finished in a certain league position.

You word it like they continually won from 7th & 8th.

Cas have played some scintillating rugby and fully deserve the LLS.As DaveT said earlier it needs a bit more prestige but the GF is the main prize.

The team that handles the pressure of playoff rugby the best will be deserved winners.

I agree with you!!!

There was an advantage to finishing 5th in the old system however that is in the past....

The SL is about the marathon of 30 games followed by the intensity of knockout rugby. 

The winners will be/are worthy winners! 

To pretend that the LLS is the beall and endall is silly as it hasnt been the case for 20 years! 

The winners of the grand final are the champions.

It has been this way for almost the whole history of Rugby League.

The problem may be that most on here started watching RL in the 25 years (1973-1997) where the championship was awarded to the league leaders.

As far as I can tell, for the 120 championships so far, the champions were:

Playoff final winners = 81 times (67.5%)

League Leaders = 33 times (27.5%)

Separate County Leagues = 6 times (5%)

We are not soccer.

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The winners of the grand final are the champions.

It has been this way for almost the whole history of Rugby League.

The problem may be that most on here started watching RL in the 25 years (1973-1997) where the championship was awarded to the league leaders.

As far as I can tell, for the 120 championships so far, the champions were:

Playoff final winners = 81 times (67.5%)

League Leaders = 33 times (27.5%)

Separate County Leagues = 6 times (5%)

We are not soccer.

Thanks for your research WT.

Oh, and yours must be one of the best user names on here, just brilliant. :biggrin:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:58 PM, yipyee said:

I agree 100% however there's a few deluded folk on here who praise Leeds for being dominant but then say Cas are rightful champions regardless of what they actually win!

For the record I (and I believe most Cas fans) will deem finishing top of SL as the greatest achievement in the club history. Sure if we don’t win the Grand Final the history books won’t have us down as champions - I totally accept that

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

7 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

For the record I (and I believe most Cas fans) will deem finishing top of SL as the greatest achievement in the club history. Sure if we don’t win the Grand Final the history books won’t have us down as champions - I totally accept that

That's a fair comment. 

Can't argue with that.

There's a difference between saying it's your clubs finest hour from saying that your club are the SL champions when they arnt. 

I hope Cas win the SL if my team dont.... 

7 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I agree with the comments of Kenilworth Tiger.  League Leaders is what most Cas supporters really want this season, even more than the end of season top four play off.

If we had managed to win any of the Championship/Premiership finals against Salford in 1938, Leeds in 1969, Hull KR in 1984 or Wigan in 1994, it would not have felt like we were the best team in the league at the time, not topping the table (although I was not born for the 1938 final).

Winning the league is for the club, and would be the club's finest hour; even if we were not classed as Super League Champions.  Apologies to the Cas teams down the years who have won various knock out cups, and given our fans something to shout about.  Get us the League Leaders Shield Daryl.

Winning the Cup or Grand Final is for the fans.  It would give us fans a great day out in Manchester should we manage to achieve that.

5 hours ago, chrisfromponte said:

I agree with the comments of Kenilworth Tiger.  League Leaders is what most Cas supporters really want this season, even more than the end of season top four play off.

If we had managed to win any of the Championship/Premiership finals against Salford in 1938, Leeds in 1969, Hull KR in 1984 or Wigan in 1994, it would not have felt like we were the best team in the league at the time, not topping the table (although I was not born for the 1938 final).

Winning the league is for the club, and would be the club's finest hour; even if we were not classed as Super League Champions.  Apologies to the Cas teams down the years who have won various knock out cups, and given our fans something to shout about.  Get us the League Leaders Shield Daryl.

Winning the Cup or Grand Final is for the fans.  It would give us fans a great day out in Manchester should we manage to achieve that.

You wouldn't win the league by finishing top though, sorry to pull you up on terminology but car would be league leaders... I.e leading the league before the play offs to determine league winners.

You may not agree with the system but that's how it is, interestingly that is how it has been for most of RL history.

Cas can be pleased about being league leaders as they havnt been there before but they won't get winners rings or the trophy, they will get a plate. They won't get to play in the WCC. Or a winners parade.

For a comparison the NFL have conference champions and league champions with a trophy  but the only prize anyone's bothered about  is the super bowl. That wasn't always the case as the AFC was deemed inferior for a spell but the super bowl winners are the heerrm world champions 

10 hours ago, chrisfromponte said:

I guess it's down to the competition organisers to decide which is the major prize, and they usually allocate prize money accordingly.

The old championship playoffs and the premiership playoffs from 1974 to 1997 were completely different beasts.

The premiership was an additional competition at the end of the season. It had the feel of an extra bonus rather than the main event. Ironically, with the final held at Old Trafford from 1987. The main prize was the championship, which was awarded to the league leaders.

The old championship playoffs decided the champions, as the grand final does now.

I guess individual fans can attach importance to whichever competition they like. There was always a debate as to which was more important to the fans or the club, winning the challenge cup or the league. At one time the cup had more prestige and exposure.

The league leaders now get double prize money of £100 000. Does anyone know how much you get for winning the grand final?

13 hours ago, chrisfromponte said:

Strange that Cas fans should be different to every other set of supporters in the last twenty years.

Everybody understands that the main prize is to win the GF. To state that you would be happier winning the lesser prize is kind of weird.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:37 AM, Jim Prendle said:

Oops.

did you speak too soon!

No but I think might have done!! :)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Strange that Cas fans should be different to every other set of supporters in the last twenty years.

Everybody understands that the main prize is to win the GF. To state that you would be happier winning the lesser prize is kind of weird.

Hello Jim and thanks for commenting on my post.

Wholly Trinity is correct when he says individual fans attach importance to whatever competition they like.  I have seen Cas win Yorkshire Leagues and League Division 1 and it would be a dream to win the top league.  I suppose supporting Cas for 53 years would send me weird. (Good win yesterday by the way Wholly Trinity)

There may be some Hull FC fans who would not swap last year's Wembley win for the Grand Final and there may be some that would.

19 minutes ago, chrisfromponte said:

Wholly Trinity is correct when he says individual fans attach importance to whatever competition they like.  I have seen Cas win Yorkshire Leagues and League Division 1 and it would be a dream to win the top league.  I suppose supporting Cas for 53 years would send me weird. (Good win yesterday by the way Wholly Trinity)

There may be some Hull FC fans who would not swap last year's Wembley win for the Grand Final and there may be some that would.

Fair enough, and I didn't mean to call you weird. Sorry mate.

38 minutes ago, chrisfromponte said:

I get the view that winning the LLS would be a massive achievement for Cas this year (which I think was Kenny's view) - but I'm not sure why you would prefer to win the SL minor prize. As a Wire fan I have been extremely proud of the lads winning the shield, and celebrated last year's win, but I would exchange that for the SL trophy no problem.

Of course in an ideal world you would win the LLS and then follow it up with the SL title, but I'd be very very surprised if it was true that most Cas supporters would rather win the shield this year than the SL trophy.

1 hour ago, snapski said:

LLS Winners will play in the WC challenge series next year

Just as they have for the last couple of years. Defo the right decision. Has that been confirmed, and does that mean that it is still two games?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I get the view that winning the LLS would be a massive achievement for Cas this year (which I think was Kenny's view) - but I'm not sure why you would prefer to win the SL minor prize. As a Wire fan I have been extremely proud of the lads winning the shield, and celebrated last year's win, but I would exchange that for the SL trophy no problem.

Of course in an ideal world you would win the LLS and then follow it up with the SL title, but I'd be very very surprised if it was true that most Cas supporters would rather win the shield this year than the SL trophy.

I agree with most of this, however, the point Cas fans are trying to make is the LLS means a successful season for the club. It's only other clubs fans that suggest we have to win it, the GF that is.

Now don't get me wrong, we would love to win the GF but when you consider how tough an ask that is, it may be beyond us. That's why we are happy with the LLS.

We do not expect you all to call us SL champions though, if that is all we win.

After all, if we were to win the GF it would only be because the "top" teams have been poor this year.???

Archived