Have Castleford Peaked too Early?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/08/2017 at 6:18 PM, DEANO said:

One off cup matches are nowhere near as good as winning a 23 game league

There are 30 games in the league.

If it's 23 then why havnt car got the LLS??

The LLS no one cares about, clubs probably use it to serve the butties off at the half time Buffet.

The SL trophy is the main prize! 

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

The LLS no one cares about, clubs probably use it to serve the butties off at the half time Buffet.

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy but to Cas fans never seeing a league winning team it means more than anything. The grand final would just be icing on the cake.

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

So what your basically saying is 30 glorified friendlies then the season starts

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

14 minutes ago, DEANO said:

So what your basically saying is 30 glorified friendlies then the season starts

Dont be daft, if you lost all the 30 games you would be relegated... if you loose more games than your rivals you will be relegated castleford fans should know this all too well!!!

I think the LLS is important to the team that wins it and all the other teams then say it is not important.

Then next year another team wins it and it is important to them but not others and so the cycle goes on.

As previously stated, if Cas win the LLS it will be massive to them no matter how many "experts" on here say it is not.

1 minute ago, Davc1h said:

I think the LLS is important to the team that wins it and all the other teams then say it is not important.

Then next year another team wins it and it is important to them but not others and so the cycle goes on.

As previously stated, if Cas win the LLS it will be massive to them no matter how many "experts" on here say it is not.

It's not that it's not important its just that some fans / clubs have a chip on their shoulders as they never came top/haven't in living memory when coming top dictated the league champions, The system was changed 20 years ago. The system is a generation in with young fans happy with the concept of the LLS Is a nice to have but not the main prize. 

Also the system is different to the old first past the post as there is the magic round and an uneven 7 games.

Just a question, when the 2 champions face off for the WCC is it the 2 table toppers or the 2 competition winners?

4 hours ago, Bootroombob said:

You keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy but to Cas fans never seeing a league winning team it means more than anything. The grand final would just be icing on the cake.

They arnt a league winning team if they arnt on the podium at OT with the trophy aloft and rings on their fingers. 

If say Leeds win the GF they will be the league winners not Cas.

This will be proven in Feb when the SL league winners play against the NRL league winners for the WCC trophy!

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

It's not that it's not important its just that some fans / clubs have a chip on their shoulders as they never came top/haven't in living memory when coming top dictated the league champions, The system was changed 20 years ago. The system is a generation in with young fans happy with the concept of the LLS Is a nice to have but not the main prize. 

Also the system is different to the old first past the post as there is the magic round and an uneven 7 games.

Just a question, when the 2 champions face off for the WCC is it the 2 table toppers or the 2 competition winners?

I am not saying you are wrong, far from it. As far as I am concerned the GF winners are SL champions.

What I am saying is the LLS would be a massive achievement for Cas as a club. I personally do not think they can win the GF.

If that is a chip on my shoulder, then so be it.

The only scenario where I would be really eager to win the LLS would be if it was part of a treble. It's something very few teams have done and it's very tough to be able to be able to cope with a cup run, win week in week out in the league, and still have enough left to win the GF at the end. In isolation it's better to win it than not, and being the most consistent team through a season isnt to be sniffed at. But it's not the one that matters.

Put it this way. I wouldn't swap Cas' LLS and their league record for the chance we have in a few weeks to defend the Cup.

4 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

I don't think many take issue with people saying LLS is a massive achievement for Cas, as it was for Huddersfield, and for Warrington. What people take issue with is the argument that the LLS winners are the "real" Champions.

You did read what I said didn't you, as far as I am concerned the GF winners are SL champions.

Nobody wants anyone else to think LLS is massive.

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Since the Cas v Saints cup game Saints have beaten Wigan once and Hull twice. 

Maybe but the Magic Weekend result doesn't count.

You see, we took to the field expecting to face Hull KR.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Well I don't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks. To me it will be a great achievement. To come from relegation and slowly build over a few years, to where we are now, is fantastic. We have lost a hell of a lot of players over the years, a lot home grown, and still moved forward.

at times last season we had to cancel training through so many injured players. And we still fought on, and were ripping the super 8s up, but came up short.

we probably won't win the Grand Final, in fact it's only Cas fans I've heard saying this, other clubs fans saying we HAVE to win it. We really don't. We are growing, slowly.

The snipers have been out a couple of months now. Will be what it is at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, snapski said:

Well I don't give a monkeys what anyone else thinks. To me it will be a great achievement. To come from relegation and slowly build over a few years, to where we are now, is fantastic. We have lost a hell of a lot of players over the years, a lot home grown, and still moved forward.

at times last season we had to cancel training through so many injured players. And we still fought on, and were ripping the super 8s up, but came up short.

we probably won't win the Grand Final, in fact it's only Cas fans I've heard saying this, other clubs fans saying we HAVE to win it. We really don't. We are growing, slowly.

The snipers have been out a couple of months now. Will be what it is at the end of the season.

That's about nail on the head mate.??

I don't think anyone's knocking winning the LLS. After its first few years of being dismissed in order to play up winning the grand final. It's now looked on as an achievement in its own right no matter which club wins it. Even more so when a team like Cas who as you say have not only to contend with salary cap pressures but also having players taken to set them back. People have just questioned post claiming the LLS is the main prize. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I don't think anyone's knocking winning the LLS. After its first few years of being dismissed in order to play up winning the grand final. It's now looked on as an achievement in its own right no matter which club wins it. Even more so when a team like Cas who as you say have not only to contend with salary cap pressures but also having players taken to set them back. People have just questioned post claiming the LLS is the main prize. 

So we are all agreed, GF winners are the champions. ??

Still say it's Hulls to lose.???

On 06/08/2017 at 8:44 AM, yipyee said:

They arnt a league winning team if they arnt on the podium at OT with the trophy aloft and rings on their fingers. 

If say Leeds win the GF they will be the league winners not Cas.

This will be proven in Feb when the SL league winners play against the NRL league winners for the WCC trophy!

Absolute ######,the team that wins the league wins the lls. Hull,Leeds,Cas and probably saints go into the semis.Anyone of them could become the grand final winners but over 30 games the team who finishes top should get the glory. Needs re-addressing,its only because of sky that the grand final is the grand prize. There's st Helens thinking we've had a torrid season but we've turned a corner,we'll win the biggest prize 10 points behind cas? Might as well do away with the warm ups and jump to the semis.

25 minutes ago, Bootroombob said:

Absolute ######,the team that wins the league wins the lls. Hull,Leeds,Cas and probably saints go into the semis.Anyone of them could become the grand final winners but over 30 games the team who finishes top should get the glory. Needs re-addressing,its only because of sky that the grand final is the grand prize. There's st Helens thinking we've had a torrid season but we've turned a corner,we'll win the biggest prize 10 points behind cas? Might as well do away with the warm ups and jump to the semis.

I've highlighted the important word there.

When Hull FC lost their last league fixture at home to Warrington last season, it meant that Warrington won the LLS and Hull would have to travel to Wigan in the play off semi final instead of being at home to Saints.

I can honestly say that the greatest disappointment when the hooter went that evening was the feeling that we lost home advantage in the semi final. The LLS would have been nice but would also have been incidental.

You suggest that we might as well do away with the "warm ups", well these are the minor battles teams play all season in order to finalise the top 4 in SL and thus the line ups for the SFs.

Personally, I love the concept of how the season unfolds including the Super 8s and the play offs, even though I was very sceptical when it was unveiled as I couldn't get my head round it at first.

As Davc1h says, "the LLS is important to the team that wins it" and they're obviously going to try and make the most of it but let's not pretend the rest of the teams desperately try to win it and look on in envy at the LLS winners when they lift that particular trophy, they simply don't.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

13 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I've highlighted the important word there.

When Hull FC lost their last league fixture at home to Warrington last season, it meant that Warrington won the LLS and Hull would have to travel to Wigan in the play off semi final instead of being at home to Saints.

I can honestly say that the greatest disappointment when the hooter went that evening was the feeling that we lost home advantage in the semi final. The LLS would have been nice but would also have been incidental.

You suggest that we might as well do away with the "warm ups", well these are the minor battles teams play all season in order to finalise the top 4 in SL and thus the line ups for the SFs.

Personally, I love the concept of how the season unfolds including the Super 8s and the play offs, even though I was very sceptical when it was unveiled as I couldn't get my head round it at first.

As Davc1h says, "the LLS is important to the team that wins it" and they're obviously going to try and make the most of it but let's not pretend the rest of the teams desperately try to win it and look on in envy at the LLS winners when they lift that particular trophy, they simply don't.

Agree with much of that. I do think the LLS deserves a touch more prestige, and that does appear to have happened a touch more over the last few years with the last match finishes, but in reality, LLS winners would exchange that shield for a Grand Final win 100 times out of 100.

34 minutes ago, Vernon said:

If Cas have a massive meltdown (which I don't think they will) and are placed 2nd after the Super 8's, will their fans still think the LLS is the real prize ?

I for one would be devastated so yes

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived