New York City & Dublin to join the league?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the New York interest is a little too early Imo. If you want to start accepting more American clubs I think you should at least see how Toronto does with logistics in the Championship where the season in longer.

Dublin I think would be a great idea if you can get some quality Irish players.

Toronto did a lot of groundwork over many years by hosting many games and through Perez's rugby league TV show on Canadian TV.

Not sure if there has been these types of developments in New York.

But if there are marketing and business geniuses in New York who are confident of success they should go for it.

Personally I'd like to see another Canadian team rather than a US based team as Canada has shown far more potential than the US.

The article was correct in the sense that the NRL is not doing anything at the moment. AS for Dublin and NY, there was nothing concrete in the article, as there is nothing presently. The RFL is open to ideas and expansion which is good.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I can't see Dublin working, there doesn't seem to be much interest in RL there. I'd have thought Belfast would be better, as N Ireland seems to have more development.

As for NYC, it would be huge for the game and if some business types are interested, we can't really say no. Also there are two USARL clubs there, so it's not like plonking a team in a completely new area to RL. 

The thing is with any of these potential cities being thrown about is that they might not have thriving domestic scenes but neither did Toronto. What is to stop someone else trying what Perez, Argyle and co have tried with Toronto in Dublin, NY or anywhere close enough?

Successful or not we would have been mad to deny Toronto and we would be mad to deny anything similar that comes along. What is there to lose?

5 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

The thing is with any of these potential cities being thrown about is that they might not have thriving domestic scenes but neither did Toronto. What is to stop someone else trying what Perez, Argyle and co have tried with Toronto in Dublin, NY or anywhere close enough?

Successful or not we would have been mad to deny Toronto and we would be mad to deny anything similar that comes along. What is there to lose?

The story I heard was that there is a consortium in Ireland with the money to match Toronto.  They were knocked back because Toronto were there first but the door was not closed permanently.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

14 minutes ago, Bearman said:

The story I heard was that there is a consortium in Ireland with the money to match Toronto.  They were knocked back because Toronto were there first but the door was not closed permanently.

That logic doesn't make much sense to me. Fair enough if there was another NA team looking to enter the same year as Toronto for example, that would be tough on League 1 teams, but Ireland is hardly far away. Plus Toronto will be out of League 1 after this year anyway. Seems a bit "one thing at a time" which is typical RL.

I think it was a comment only by Mascord - an example - otherwise someone on here usually has an inside line and there isn't one

Jacksonville or Boston with the right backing for me along with Montreal - anything else and the transport links are too great to overcome really

Dublin wont care without a great amount of fanfare and some high profile signings from Gaelic or RU codes - just not enough interest or cash around

NYC would be great but again as noted above Perez did a lot of work to get TWP up and running - nothing in NYC other than two teams playing at probably L1 level in an amateur comp

It would be bloody good though if the backers were there - with cash like TWP seem to have and a long term desire to get in SL and grow - wait and see I guess

The New York thing is real. There is an interested party there who wants a franchise but may not have the cash of Toronto yet. New York has three of the top USARL north teams at the moment and a another new club is starting next year. It is pretty much the hub for RL in the US at amateur level now, more so than Philadelphia or Jacksonville. Not that amateur clubs are necessary for a pro club to exist.

Dublin is apparently more a case of wishful thinking that the RFL is willing to consider if they find financial backing. That's what the article was getting at.

20 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

The New York thing is real. There is an interested party there who wants a franchise but may not have the cash of Toronto yet. New York has three of the top USARL north teams at the moment and a another new club is starting next year. It is pretty much the hub for RL in the US at amateur level now, more so than Philadelphia or Jacksonville. Not that amateur clubs are necessary for a pro club to exist.

Dublin is apparently more a case of wishful thinking that the RFL is willing to consider if they find financial backing. That's what the article was getting at.

Interesting..... who are yr sources mate. 

If there is a potential backer in NYC, something that should not be ruled out, and there is some small but promising grassroots there. 

For me me out of the two, an Irish team should be a priority. I read the below article last year:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=287927

''Professional teams are also needed to show that players can go on to play rugby league professionally in Ireland. This needs an avenue into the League 1 structure first and we are knocking on that door.''

This was prior to the World Cup qualifier being hosted in Bray, which was attended by RLIF delegates including Nigel Wood, and was followed by a RLIF conference at the adjoining (chain) hotel which sponsors the Irish RL and would be ideal for traveling teams.

As well as there being an increasing number of amateur players in Ireland and a few Irish-born players in the Champ and League 1, there are obviously a few heritage players that could be attracted. Tie-ins with the likes of Wigan St Pats, Siddal and Dewbury Celtic could also develop Irish players from Ireland and identify other potential heritage players for League 1. 

If you compare Ryanair's flights to English regional airports and League 1s footprint, a good potential sponsor and provider of flights to an Irish team? Ryanair RL anyone?

Bray seems very fit for purpose for League 1, and wouldn't preclude games or even a full time move to Dublin should they ever make SL. 

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

That logic doesn't make much sense to me. Fair enough if there was another NA team looking to enter the same year as Toronto for example, that would be tough on League 1 teams, but Ireland is hardly far away. Plus Toronto will be out of League 1 after this year anyway. Seems a bit "one thing at a time" which is typical RL.

There is nothing wrong with prioritising.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is nothing wrong with prioritising.

Can we not handle 2 things at once? How would the success or failure of a Dublin side affect Toronto? Maybe if the RFL were directing funds towards it, but they aren't. If any potential investors came foward and the the RFL said "come back in 5 years, Toronto were here first" it would be lunacy.

Archived