Any shocks at World cup 17?

Pool B will be very interesting, hard to see PNG and Fiji not getting through from pool C & D but tier 2 nations are all pretty evenly matched.

Realistically you could easily expand to 16 in the current format just by adding a team each to pool C & D. Canada, Jamaica and Cook Islands wouldn't look out of place so there is already competition and reasonable quality to fill 2 more spots.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Toughest run?

PNG had to play all three of the big three in the pool stages in 2008. 

If France with a squad of mostly full time players can't beat Lebanon with half a dozen NRL players, a few reserve graders and and under 20s and a few from Sydney A grade level they're probably better off not playing NZ in the quarters. And if they want to avoid NZ they'll just have to beat Lebanon and England and finish second. Of course that's still assuming NZ doesn't drop a game.

I don't really know what the complaint is. They have to win ONE game to make a quarter final against a team that didn't even qualify last time. It's not asking that much.

Are you for real, suggesting us beating England? You do know how big is the gap between the teams right? 

As for the complaint, you're missing the important point. Those are heritage teams. The players who play for qualifiers aren't the one playing in the world cup. For example, Italy in the qualifiers is not much of a threat, they'd get brushed off by a Elite 1 selection easily but for the WC they could get a handful of pro players that would change the team completely. A team of Lebanon based players wouldn't cause any troubles to France but a team of NRL players and reserve graders would especially as they will be at home with the huge Lebanese community there is in Oz. 

3 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Are you for real, suggesting us beating England? You do know how big is the gap between the teams right? 

As for the complaint, you're missing the important point. Those are heritage teams. The players who play for qualifiers aren't the one playing in the world cup. For example, Italy in the qualifiers is not much of a threat, they'd get brushed off by a Elite 1 selection easily but for the WC they could get a handful of pro players that would change the team completely. A team of Lebanon based players wouldn't cause any troubles to France but a team of NRL players and reserve graders would especially as they will be at home with the huge Lebanese community there is in Oz. 

France needs to man up and actually perform for once. You seem to sum up the attitude of the team. They're beaten before they even run on and want everything made easy for them. Whinging that they've got the "toughest" draw is not only untrue but irrelevant. It's a World Cup. If you can't beat the weaker teams and don't want to play the better ones why bother showing up? Chances are the French team won't.

21 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

France needs to man up and actually perform for once. You seem to sum up the attitude of the team. They're beaten before they even run on and want everything made easy for them. Whinging that they've got the "toughest" draw is not only untrue but irrelevant. It's a World Cup. If you can't beat the weaker teams and don't want to play the better ones why bother showing up? Chances are the French team won't.

disagree. I accept the French team in both league and union sometimes mentally aren't where they should be, but the fact is, to have Italy make a WC with one team, and then bring in another 20 players from the NRL and QL cup (which is full of players who would cut it in SL) isn't really in the spirit of the game, and makes a joke of qualifiers tbh.......

League NEEDS France to do well, to grow a financial base to the sport. Imagine if League grew to have 3 more teams on Catalans level....thats significant opportunity for a decent French TV contract, tours to France from ANZAC nations, pro contracts for Talent in Europe and PNG etc etc ..........Look how much a strong TOP 14 does for Union as a whole.....

Ps, I will say though, that unlikely as it is, its not impossible for France to beat England....just for it to happen would be say a 5% chance. Would need a red card, a few more sin bins and some real problems within the England team that day, and France to click and take chances, and  the Forwards and Gigot and Fages to have big big games. 

To beat Oz , need 2 red cards and some sin bins.

The strength or otherwise of the second tier heritage teams is irrelevant to France's ability. We need France, and others, to compete with the big three. If they can beat the second tier heritage teams they deserve a shot at them. If they can't, tough luck. And if they don't even want to play the big three there's no point throwing resources at them. France's destiny is in its own hands and it has to stand up on the field for a change. 

Very exciting World Cup potentially, especially the group games involving the Pacific Island teams

I cannot agree that NZ are there to be taken - they have looked poor recently against Australia but name a team who doesn't struggle against them?  They have world class players all over the park - the lack of Proctor and especially Bromwich will damage their chances of winning the competition but i still think they are the second best team in it.  

NZ biggest problem is the coach - he gets bonus points for destroying Mason but i really don't think he is up to it.  They do have enough experience in the team to perform despite the coach though.

23 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Where we will struggle is again (only team in 2013 not to have any) no NRL players (unless by some miracle Tyson Frizzell doesn't play for Oz)...always going to be a weak point for us...

we have done our best to get Aussies on board again Caleb Aekins, Daniel Brown (both Penrith Panthers) , Josh Ralph (Newcastle Knights) lets hope they stay Welsh and not jump ship as soon as a better opportunity comes along like Mr Frizzell.

18 hours ago, Scubby said:

The Australian media, personalities and TV stations actually talking up the Rugby League World Cup. That would be a massive shock!

Agreed. To them it seems very much 3Rd or 4th rate.

After origin, NRL and a Anzac game 

2 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Every game of the men's AND women's tournament is on free to air television here. How's that compare to over there?

Every game on the BBC I believe, though some are due to be on the red button rather than BBC1 or BBC2, so all free to air too

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

10 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Every game on the BBC I believe, though some are due to be on the red button rather than BBC1 or BBC2, so all free to air too

Really? Not from what I've read. We're not talking about 2021. 2017 is mostly on Premier Sports. And as for the women's tournament, lucky to be on at all.

1 minute ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Really? Not from what I've read. We're not talking about 2021. 2017 is mostly on Premier Sports. And as for the women's tournament, lucky to be on at all.

I think you're probably right, the rights were sold along with 2013 as some have mentioned on here, it was a quick answer while I was at work so didn't check, apologies for that.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

13 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Every game of the men's AND women's tournament is on free to air television here. How's that compare to over there?

That's great - the build up must be off the scale down there?? I watch NRL matches every week. I have yet to hear any kind of discussion about the World Cup or players playing for WC places. In fact they are still banging on about bl**dy Origin.

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That's great - the build up must be off the scale down there?? I watch NRL matches every week. I have yet to hear any kind of discussion about the World Cup or players playing for WC places. In fact they are still banging on about bl**dy Origin.

That's because it's not on Nein. It's on Seven, which is why Seven has been promoting it in their news, on their breakfast show, even with a "100 days to go" logo on the screen on the day when it was 100 days to go. You know, stuff you would never see in a million years in the uk on any channel at any time. So maybe it should be UK media, personalities and tv stations talking up the World Cup, or even talking about any rugby league at all, that would be a big shock.

7 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

That's because it's not on Nein. It's on Seven, which is why Seven has been promoting it in their news, on their breakfast show, even with a "100 days to go" logo on the screen on the day when it was 100 days to go. You know, stuff you would never see in a million years in the uk on any channel at any time. So maybe it should be UK media, personalities and tv stations talking up the World Cup, or even talking about any rugby league at all, that would be a big shock.

Yep I do know what is going on there. I know Seven have got the rights and that is great. Does this make it illegal for C9 or Fox or Sterlo on The Couch or The Footy Show or Matty Johns Show to even mention it? It is supposed to be the biggest World RL event in 4 years?

I also subscribe to the SMH and Telegraph and read Fox Sports' site and you wouldn't think the competition even exists. The SMH even has a Gold Coast Commonwealth 2018 tab FFS yet ignores the biggest event in Australia this year which is a dozen weeks away.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Yep I do know what is going on there. I know Seven have got the rights and that is great. Does this make it illegal for C9 or Fox or Sterlo on The Couch or The Footy Show or Matty Johns Show to even mention it? It is supposed to be the biggest World RL event in 4 years?

I also subscribe to the SMH and Telegraph and read Fox Sports' site and you wouldn't think the competition even exists. The SMH even has a Gold Coast Commonwealth 2018 tab FFS yet ignores the biggest event in Australia this year which is a dozen weeks away.

If you watched uk tv and read the papers you wouldn't think the SPORT exists.

The reality is, while the NRL is on the WC isn't the biggest RL event happening and even when it's not the attitude to the WC is a reflection of its strength and prestige. We might like to think the WC should be highly respected and popular, but it isn't. If you look at the facts it's not hard to see why.

9 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

If you watched uk tv and read the papers you wouldn't think the SPORT exists.

The reality is, while the NRL is on the WC isn't the biggest RL event happening and even when it's not the attitude to the WC is a reflection of its strength and prestige. We might like to think the WC should be highly respected and popular, but it isn't. If you look at the facts it's not hard to see why.

Stop trying to compare the UK market with Australia it is deflecting the issue. The UK doesn't have RL games as the top rated shows in the whole country each year. The country absolutely loves the game supposedly. Here we have to fight for a tiny mention and you fully know that. On those outlets, I talked about everyone knows the RLWC exists and they are choosing to ignore it or suppress it. Channel 9 are sulking because the once again wanted to treat International RL like an after thought.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Stop trying to compare the UK market with Australia it is deflecting the issue. The UK doesn't have RL games as the top rated shows in the whole country each year. The country absolutely loves the game supposedly. Here we have to fight for a tiny mention and you fully know that. On those outlets, I talked about everyone knows the RLWC exists and they are choosing to ignore it or suppress it.

Whenever poms argue that the game's insignificance there is as a result of no one liking it I wonder what their point is. Is it supposed to be an excuse? 

The truth is the WC does get reported on or mentioned in the press here. But it won't really become even mildly prominent until the NRL is over and the tournament is closer. It's simply not that big an event. Until we have more competitive and more legitimate teams at international level it will always be the poor cousin of club and origin football. Yet the WC will still be in the limelight when it comes around. It will be on all the tv news reports and in all the papers. Of course the ashes will get more attention and rightly so.

On 01/08/2017 at 1:52 PM, FearNothing said:

Where we will struggle is again (only team in 2013 not to have any) no NRL players (unless by some miracle Tyson Frizzell doesn't play for Oz)...always going to be a weak point for us...

I think Kear is a different beast to Harris though. He'll and already has instilled some real pride back into the Welsh jersey and the sport is all about teamwork and pride. I think the Welsh might surprise a few people despite the lack of 'star' personalities in the setup as compared to a few other squads.

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think Kear is a different beast to Harris though. He'll and already has instilled some real pride back into the Welsh jersey and the sport is all about teamwork and pride. I think the Welsh might surprise a few people despite the lack of 'star' personalities in the setup as compared to a few other squads.

Couldn't agree more, it's just a shame that, with only a couple of top-class players added to a good squad, we could do even better.... I'm hoping for a semi-final, but would settle for a quarter ;)

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Australia wont win the WC

What odds are you giving?

There have only really been three contenders, the Kiwis have lots of issues that count them out.

That means you think Wayne Bennetts England will win?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

6 hours ago, Allora said:

What odds are you giving?

There have only really been three contenders, the Kiwis have lots of issues that count them out.

That means you think Wayne Bennetts England will win?

I dont know I'm just saying...  I don't think they'll win (most likely wrong..

But going with a gut feeling)

Archived