position numbers or squad numbers?

the nrl have it right for me- the person who deserves the jersey with no1 on it plays at fb on the day - etc etc - how are people new to the game supposed to get to grips with it when numbers don't even relate to positions? is not the chuffing pop charts

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the nrl have it right for me- the person who deserves the jersey with no1 on it plays at fb on the day - etc etc - how are people new to the game supposed to get to grips with it when numbers don't even relate to positions? is not the chuffing pop charts

Agreed. I would prefer to see 1 to 17 on game day 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

selling named shirts with their numbers is more important than worrying what we fans would prefer...

who goes round checking the number matches the name?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I don't see any problem at all with squad numbers.

I don't buy the nonsense of newbies can't follow the game if they don't know which number belongs to which position.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

I don't see any problem at all with squad numbers.

I don't buy the nonsense of newbies can't follow the game if they don't know which number belongs to which position.

Yep ?

Some positions are interchangeable in the modern game 8,10,13 are all "middles" nowadays, not blind side, open side etc

I'd rather know by a glance who the player is (by squad number) than know where they were selected on a team sheet

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

confused.com for new viewers - position numbers also bring structure to the set up

I have sat with quite a few newbies over the years and I have never heard one comment about positioning and numbers, not one, ever.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

When match programmes are produced they can't guarantee what the team will be on the day so squad numbers are great when new players enter the team. 

Widnes have gone through nearly 40 players this year, plenty coming through from academy that I wouldn't normally see playing.

Nearly every major sport in the world has squad numbers. It's easy money off the field for merchandise 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

who goes round checking the number matches the name?

is that a sort of train spotting question....

Don't know just trying to ponder if its important for selling of shirts... that is want the squad number and his name on the shirt - I don't buy shirts so was just pondering

1 hour ago, Padge said:

I have sat with quite a few newbies over the years and I have never heard one comment about positioning and numbers, not one, ever.

Sorry padge I have to disagree!

When I was young (nearly 60 years ago) every week I Dad gave me one position to follow every week,. We would talk about it on the way to the game ans the same coming home. We used to watch from behiond the sticks and watch the moves evolve .

Roll on to now and I have four grandkids who go with me to the games from 5 to 13 years old. They love the game to bits but they cant get the grasp on who plays where and why.

To me it is simple - go back to 1 - 17.

The squad numbers was part of the failed marketing plan of the early super league, and should die off with wildcats, blue socks, bears, warriors and the like

Sheddings.  First we dropped the stupid name blue sox nearly 10 years ago, but it must have served some purpose people remember it. 

Whilst I can see both sides of the argument  if you go back to just numbers and you have a trialist or a d r  player lots of people will not know who they are.

whilst numbers are great for us older folk who respect the tradition, we have to move with the modern world sometimes, ( like forums, and the debacle they call scrummaging) 

dare I mention you tell your grandchildren to watch the  number when the kick off  and follow that .

sorry to be argumentative, UP THE FAX . 

Much prefer 1 - 17.

I have never understood why squad numbers sell more jerseys. If you like a player, stick his name on your jersey and the position he usually plays. If he plays in another position one week, so what?

With internationals I prefer 1-17 definitely as there is the whole earning pf the shirt, but for clubs, I think there is an element of practicality around having squad numbers - as well as a tool for players to market themselves potentially. Take Rob Burrow, a man synonymous with the number 7 shirt at leeds, would have worn 14 or 9 for most of the past 5 seasons. Its like asking Paul Pogba to give up Man Utd's number 6 shirt (a number he favours and probably has written into his contract) as traditionally number 6 is a central defender not an attacking midfielder. It just seems a bit petty.

Alternative is that we do what Union do and have a 1-17 and names on shirts. Much easier in union however as players rarely shift positions. 

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the nrl have it right for me- the person who deserves the jersey with no1 on it plays at fb on the day - etc etc - how are people new to the game supposed to get to grips with it when numbers don't even relate to positions? is not the chuffing pop charts

I have to agree with Padge here - I have never once heard someone complain that they can't get to grips with a position because they don't know the number. New fans won't know what position each number is to start with! Or what each position is full stop!

It's a terrible argument that is just as easily countered with "how are new fans going to get to grips with players if their numbers change every week?"

Let's also not forget that with the every increasing number of injuries in the modern game, players will shift position mid-game. Interchanges will be playing in random positions. Some will even start because of last minute changes.

I'm sorry, but the only people that seem to be pining for a return to positional numbers are those of a bygone era.

You earn your squad number and if you're not happy then you've got a year to get it.

To be honest, I hate it at international and in the NRL too. When they announce a squad for the WC, they should number each player too. That's how fans get to grips with new players. If you know anything about rugby league, you'll find it pretty easy to realise that the winger is standing on the wing, the full back is at the back, the hooker is at dummy half, etc. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I've got visions of say Lloyd White having to change his number 9 jersey for a number 13 mid game when he drops to loose forward to allow an interchange hooker on the field, just so fans can understand he's changed position

Well its already a knackered up idea as HKR have "retired" No.6 !!!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

I've never come to terms with the squad numbers idea. For me the no 1 is always the full back, the 6 the stand-off etc.  And especially for internationals.  But then didn't touring sides play with squad nos?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Sorry padge I have to disagree!

When I was young (nearly 60 years ago) every week I Dad gave me one position to follow every week,. We would talk about it on the way to the game ans the same coming home. We used to watch from behiond the sticks and watch the moves evolve .

Roll on to now and I have four grandkids who go with me to the games from 5 to 13 years old. They love the game to bits but they cant get the grasp on who plays where and why.

To me it is simple - go back to 1 - 17.

The squad numbers was part of the failed marketing plan of the early super league, and should die off with wildcats, blue socks, bears, warriors and the like

Well we will have to agree to disagree, I am a similar age and it has never been an issue with anyone of any age that I have been to a game with, young, old and all ages between. Maybe Wiganers have a bit more nous when it comes to rugby. :wink:

Archived