Nigel Wood vote of no confidence petition, any bets?

Is this regarding some diet he's started?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Signed!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

This will be signed by everyone whose club isn't doing very well right now, whether for (most likely) self-inflicted reasons or anything else that may or may not have been down to Nigel Wood's decisions. Then it'll be forgotten, like all the others, which will just fuel the raging martyr complex of those who supported it.

The author could have at least run a basic spell-check, but he was too furious. As for the rest of the petition's composition, words fail the author.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well said Nige.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I've been reading some of the voters' comments. The mixture of illiteracy and incoherence will almost certainly be added to by fans of whoever loses their match this coming weekend. 

I don't think Nigel Wood is the greatest administrator in the history of sport, or even of our sport. But he's certainly not the utter failure that the myopic fruit-loops claim he is, either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I've been reading some of the voters' comments. The mixture of illiteracy and incoherence will almost certainly be added to by fans of whoever loses their match this coming weekend. 

I don't think Nigel Wood is the greatest administrator in the history of sport, or even of our sport. But he's certainly not the utter failure that the myopic fruit-loops claim he is, either.

He's fat you know. You can make some great jokes about it..

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This will be signed by everyone whose club isn't doing very well right now, whether for (most likely) self-inflicted reasons or anything else that may or may not have been down to Nigel Wood's decisions. Then it'll be forgotten, like all the others, which will just fuel the raging martyr complex of those who supported it.

The author could have at least run a basic spell-check, but he was too furious. As for the rest of the petition's composition, words fail the author.

Are you suggesting that the petition's author is not very bright?

2 minutes ago, longboard said:

Are you suggesting that the petition's author is not very bright?

I'm suggesting that the author's club has had a bad season (clearly a conspiracy) and was too angry to take the time to review his wording, and that the voters' comments are a little garbled, to say the least.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I'm suggesting that the author's club has had a bad season (clearly a conspiracy), and that the voters' comments are a little garbled.

Wire do you think that?

There appear to be some gargle garbled posts right enough, like drunks in a midnight choir.

7 minutes ago, longboard said:

Wire do you think that?

There appear to be some gargle garbled posts right enough, like drunks in a midnight choir.

I've heard more coherent comments from birds on wires.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've always marvelled at the ability of the cluelessly inept to orchestrate far reaching conspiracies involving multiple clubs, other sports, equally inept government departments and vast media corporations without leaving any whistleblowers or documentary trail and not doing a thing to silence that one bloke on the boards/at the pub who really did know everything.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but what power does Nigel Wood really have?

It is all very well pointing the finger and looking for someone to blame, but do you honestly believe the games predicament is entirely down to Nigel Wood?

From my understanding, everything is voted on by the Chairmen of the clubs. Therefore, how is Wood responsible for the mess the game is in? (as highlighted in the majority of the points raised in the petition).

I could be adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 5, but I think the finger should be pointed at the Chairmen of the clubs, here are a few things I base my theory on:-

From my understanding, he puts ideas forward, chairs the meetings, maybe even formulates a plan/model of how to progress the game. However, he doesn't decide what goes through and what doesn't. 

All of the major decisions are decided by the chairmen, not Wood. Particularly the big decisions, they are made by the SL Chairmen, whose votes count as 2, compared to the Championships' Chairmen, whose votes count as 1.

Do you think Nigel Wood was responsible for that? In any other walk of life, in any sort of democratic society, where would that even be contemplated?

What makes the SL clubs more important than the others? Money? Number of fans? As can be seen with the recent demise of Bradford, neither are forever, so what makes the SL clubs more important than say Rochdale, Oldham, Swinton, Keighley and Hunslet etc.

I didn't see anything like as many calls to arms regarding Swinton's recent plight, where were the aid packages like the ones thrown at Bradford over there 3 little financial problems?

It is the SL Chairmen who will vote/have voted, on the outcome of the recent meeting regarding the games restructure.

Who decided to increase the marquee signings from 1 to 2, Wood or the SL Chairmen?

After all of the publicity and column inches devoted to the views of most players and coaches regarding player welfare over the last year or so, how did we have four games over two Bank Holiday weekends this season rather than just the traditional two games over Easter? Was that Wood, or was that the Chairmen of the SL clubs greedy to cash in on an extra bumper Bank Holiday crowd? Who had most to gain from it?

Why do you think there has been more money handed to the Championship clubs over the last 2 seasons?

To develop the game? Or a little more sceptically, to allow the Championship clubs to be able to afford to pay for the SL fringe players who can't get in the first team. If the fringe player is not required by the parent club, SL clubs loan lads out via DR agreements and therefore the parent club are not only keeping the lads match fit, but also getting most, if not all of their wages covered in to the bargain too. Without the extra cash being handed down, how many Championship teams could afford to cover the wages of these players? Therefore, the SL Chairmen get a win/win. 

There is also the small matter of the SL clubs landing an extra £700k a year in funding. Who decided that? Wood? The Chairmen of the Championship clubs (I bet they were clambering over themselves to vote that in)? Or was it the SL Chairmen themselves who decided to almost double there funding so they could sign even more 3rd rate Aussies and widen the gap between themselves and the clubs below them? 

Why would the RFL set a salary cap which is based upon just the top 25 earners, minus the 2 marquee signings? Is that for the good of the game, or for a few of the top end SL clubs who can afford 2 marquee players off the books and as many players outside of the top 25 as they want?

I would argue that it is better for all of the players to be included in the Salary Cap. That would stop clubs like Wigan and Leeds from monopolising the vast majority of young players from around the country in the hope that one or two make it to the first team. Surely, it would be better for game to have the best players spread around the game, playing every week and playing regularly for the same team, learning there trade in a settled side rather than swapping and changing every other week? For instance, Oledski has played for 3 different clubs this season, Leeds 1st team and he was also farmed out to both Bradford and Featherstone. Are Leeds more interested in his welfare/development, or is it more important that his wages are covered, so anywhere will do?

How many Championship clubs, or the likes of Wakefield in SL will be making use of the marquee signings recently introduced?

It was the Championship Chairmen who voted to keep Bradford in the Championship this season, rather than following the precedent and relegating them to Championship 1, making them start at the bottom and work there way up, not Wood. Was that based upon the good of the game, or the Chairmen of the clubs scared to death they would miss out on a 3000+ gate when they played Bradford at home?

How did Wood get the job? What are his qualifications to do the job? Again, I don't know for sure, if my memory serves me correctly, he guided Halifax to the brink of bankruptcy whilst he was at the helm, if I am not mistaken. But I don't know what qualifies him for the role.

The most logical answer is, he was voted in by the Chairmen of the member clubs, who else would be able to instate him? I didn't see the job advertised, did any of you? If the petition is a success, who would remove Wood from his post? I would assume it is the Chairmen of the clubs via a vote.

I'm no fan of Nigel Wood, but I honestly believe he is just a very well paid patsy for the most part. I agree the game is a shambles, but I do not believe it is entirely down to him or Ralph Rimmer etc.

There are many other examples out there, but I'd bet Wood can't break wind without getting permission from the Chairmen first.

If Wood had the power, as is suggested, why call a meeting for all the decisions, why not just make the decisions himself?

Why would he do it? Ask yourself, would you play the patsy for a few SL Chairmen for £300k+ a year? I consider myself quite a moral person, but, I'd certainly consider it for that sort of salary.

IMHO it is very clever, the RFL take the blame from the outside. Ultimately, the RFL are not in control though, almost every decision is made by the collective Chairmen, who are pulling the strings and voting for self-interest all the time, therefore the Chairmen can blame the RFL, and the RFL can blame the Chairmen. Nobody can actually be held accountable though.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought it better to highlight a few examples, to illustrate my point.

Apologies for the grammar, nothing to do with an Ipad, it is something I'm not very good at. 

Thanks for reading!

I suggest it would be really easy for tge clubs to take public charge of the comp. That would leave them without a scapegoat though.

My challenge with the RFL is that they try and boil the ocean. If i was in charge id be streamlining everything. I wouldnt be selling a single ticket for SL events, i wouldnt be dealing with issues like Bradford etc. I wouldnt be taking charge of driving SL revenues, leave that to the 12 private commercial entities to drive.

Focus on participation, international development and commercial growth. These are the things you will be celebrated for, not mucking about with Bradford again.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suggest it would be really easy for tge clubs to take public charge of the comp. That would leave them without a scapegoat though.

My challenge with the RFL is that they try and boil the ocean. If i was in charge id be streamlining everything. I wouldnt be selling a single ticket for SL events, i wouldnt be dealing with issues like Bradford etc. I wouldnt be taking charge of driving SL revenues, leave that to the 12 private commercial entities to drive.

Focus on participation, international development and commercial growth. These are the things you will be celebrated for, not mucking about with Bradford again.

That's an excellent point.

It's very easy to blame Wood for third world famine etc but then again Big Nige does have an awful lot on his plate.

Far too much to chew.

Archived