Coldest ground

What's the ground where you've felt coldest?  For me it was Bramley's Mclaren Field where a cold draught always seemed to hit my ankles and them move up.  Didn't matter where I stood in the ground it never stopped being draughty and cold.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RunItOffAfi said:

Remember going to a 7's competition at Watersheddings 20 odd years ago in July and it was that cold that they ran out of hot chocolate in the canteen!

Yes, The Watersheddings would get my vote as well

I remember a Kangaroo tour in the 80s or 90s finished with a test in France. 

Bless their cotton socks, it was so cold, the Kangaroos played in tracksuit bottoms!

Calling anyone with footage or a better recollection than me as to the name of the ground.

Not a stadium, but as a lad, being on the playing fields in Cambridge made you appreciate that there was very little in the way of hills between you and the wind blowing off the North Sea.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Robin Park,  water shedding,  avignon one training session strong icy wind from the mountain and it was raining! and salon de Provence my mate ended up wrapped in a security blanket on the bench as he was close to hyperthermia whilst playing! ! 

The coldest I have ever been at a game was a midweek game between Oldham and Bradford Northern at Watersheddings - must have been about 1988 or 1989.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Whitehaven or Barrow - must be pretty chilly up there on a midweek evening with the wind whipping in from the Irish Sea?

1 hour ago, Gisburn said:

What's the ground where you've felt coldest?  For me it was Bramley's Mclaren Field where a cold draught always seemed to hit my ankles and them move up.  Didn't matter where I stood in the ground it never stopped being draughty and cold.

I remember Bramley v St Helens in a cup match, a close match till Paul Loughlin did his thing. I was hung over and dressed poorly for such conditions. Took me a week to stop vibrating. Must mention Thrum Hall though. Would kill 50% of the general population now days.  

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 hour ago, RunItOffAfi said:

Remember going to a 7's competition at Watersheddings 20 odd years ago in July and it was that cold that they ran out of hot chocolate in the canteen!

I don't think they had that many hit singles so that's understandable

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The coldest I have ever been at a game was a midweek game between Oldham and Bradford Northern at Watersheddings - must have been about 1988 or 1989.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Whitehaven or Barrow - must be pretty chilly up there on a midweek evening with the wind whipping in from the Irish Sea?

I don't remember many games in Cumbria when it wasn't bad weather.  Didn't help when the buses heater failed most times.

Coldest game I played in was at Odsal.  It sleeted, snowed, blew.  Both teams stepped straight into the bath afterwards with full kit on, boots an all.  The bath was like black, thick, soup and still players where getting in it.

Of course most of our replies would relate to the days of (proper) winter rugby, where my vote would be with the majority citing Watersheddings, but with a note for Crown Flatt on the long stand with a westerly blowing.

I do recall one night match that I attended at Post Office Road just before Christmas when Fev were playing St Helens. Fev built up a solid first half lead and, allegedly, the Saints team didn't want to come out for the second half because it was, literally, freezing. the ref told them they had no choice so they played and swept Fev off the park with some scintillating rugby. I think Bill Francis was playing that day, so it must have been in the late 70's, and he seemed to tiptoe over the frost to score a try right between the posts. The match was so enthralling that I didn't realise quite how cold it was until the final whistle when I had trouble in getting my legs to work again.

Maybe Toronto in the early season could challenge a couple of grounds for the coldest though; we shall see.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Gisburn said:

What's the ground where you've felt coldest?  

39 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe Toronto in the early season could challenge a couple of grounds for the coldest though; we shall see.

While it's still a hypothetical, to date, I would expect Toronto (Lamport Stadium) in February/March to take the cake, by a decent margin, should any league play or Challenge Cup matches ever be scheduled here, in the early rounds.

It would have been -7°C / -12°C (high / low), for example, had our League 1 home opener been held in round 1...

It's easy enough to avoid the worst of this, with creative scheduling; but there's bound to be a cold and snowy game, one of these years.

2 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

The stand behind the sticks at Belle Vue is always cold but when you go the side of the pitch it gets warmer

Does that make you want to go back in it?;)

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

One of my first ever away games was Barrow v All Golds in early 2015.

It was below zero, a horrible cold wind was sweeping in from the sea.

As soon as the game started the heavens opened. We had rain, sleet, hail and snowstorms before a set had been completed.

I lost the feeling in my hands which made things hard because I was meant to be providing a live text commentary.

We gave debuts to two Australians that day, they'd never seen snow before.

At full time the players were wrapped in foil to prevent hypothermia.

I'll never forget it. 

Archived