Barrow raising money for Toronto trip

14 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Looks like they will crack their target. Those loyal Barrow supporters who have put their hands in their pockets deserve a much better performance this time.

Barrow are surely the 2nd biggest club in the league with aspirations to be in the top half of the champs again.  More unnecessary negativity coming from them which is disappointing.  Rapidly becoming my least favourite RL club.

Am I being overly cynical to be thinking that they're just trying to make a point with this? Or can they genuinely not scrape together £2,000?

Amazing to think that people are touting Barrow as a potential SL club in the Cumbria thread.

It's a nice excuse to gouge more cash from their fans but maybe they should focus on getting visas sorted. Hopefully they won't have to worry about going there ever again because Toronto will be in the higher divisions and Barrow will be where they belong, planning their trip to Workington and whinging about going to Llanelli.

This has nothing to do with the club, it's the independent supporters trust that has come up with this idea to try and help the club, with the club trying to survive on crowds of less than 1000 local fans with very little/no away support every little bit of cash raised helps the stability of the club.

7 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

There's a pretty big difference, notably that Toronto are literally paying for the visiting team to travel over there.

Fair enough if toronto are financing it like a normal league game

25 minutes ago, lifer said:

This has nothing to do with the club, it's the independent supporters trust that has come up with this idea to try and help the club, with the club trying to survive on crowds of less than 1000 local fans with very little/no away support every little bit of cash raised helps the stability of the club.

Maybe they could use the money to pay for someone competent to organize the players' visas more than one week in advance.

in an ideal world league 1 teams would play each each other home and away and give each team a level playing field, in an ideal world the clubs fans would not have to try and raise money for their clubs as the RFL would give more to the lower leagues so that they can at least try and prosper, but it is not an ideal world and we have what we have, which is a set of supporters who are at the end of the day are only trying to help their club out.

Barrow's population is listed on Wiki as 57,000 people. I don't know what the population of the catchment of surrounding districts would add in RL supporters. The last game they just played against Doncaster was 836 spectators. Based on the above figures, that's 1.47% of the population went to that game. That's a best scenario percentage. On the same basis, Keighley is 1.95%, Whitehave 2.25% and Workington 2.35% all for their last game this week gone. Of course variables I can't factor in could affect those numbers. However, I thought the Barrow total a bit low but not too bad.

I guess the question coming into my mind is ...is the team an important part of the town's culture? How much profile does it have there? I ask in all sincerity as I don't know. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Complaining about having to meet the costs of coach transfer and food and drink that somehow came to £4000(have someone make some ham and cheese butties next time)

I'm sure they don't expect to be fed and watered at any other away game or have thier coach travel paid for

as has been said above this crowdfunding has nothing to do with the club its been done by the supporters ... so to those keyboard warriors who know nothing about the situation stop spouting garbage

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Archived