Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Barrow raising money for Toronto trip

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Maybe they could use the money to pay for someone competent to organize the players' visas more than one week in advance.

and maybe they could convince the employers of the players to allow them more time off work , after already using two days of their hard earned holidays. - Nobody can force any semi pro player to take time off work in the week.....  and the RFL cannot punish semi pro teams for not fielding a team if that was the reason

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Only takes someone to research the local area on internet and call the club for some info though.

You not being dropped in timbuktu.

As we expected to have those things provided why would we do thst research?


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Only takes someone to research the local area on internet and call the club for some info though.

You not being dropped in timbuktu.

By the same token, Toronto is the host and should do those little extra things.  A welcome pack (even just a pdf) with local coffee shops, cafes or restaurants, with links and how far they are by foot would take half an hour to write up and you're done for the year.

Explain that you need to get your booze at the Beer Store or LCBO, it's not in the supermarket over here.

I wouldn't expect a guest to have to find everything out, but that's just me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bearman said:

There didnt seem to be anything like a supermarket other than a small drug store that only sold the basics  ( Horror of horrors NO ALCOHOL)

FYI - They can't sell alcohol in regular shops in Ontario. It can only be bought at a place called The Beer Store or LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

By the same token, Toronto is the host and should do those little extra things.  A welcome pack (even just a pdf) with local coffee shops, cafes or restaurants, with links and how far they are by foot would take half an hour to write up and you're done for the year.

Explain that you need to get your booze at the Beer Store or LCBO, it's not in the supermarket over here.

I wouldn't expect a guest to have to find everything out, but that's just me.

Thats true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bearman said:

As we expected to have those things provided why would we do thst research?

And thats the crux. Each club that whinged already had thier mind made up. And found issues with everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bearman said:

As we expected to have those things provided why would we do thst research?

Maybe so you didn't end up in a situation where you had to fork out extortionate sums of money unnecessarily and generally have a shambolic trip due to being unprepared. But then there would be nothing to complain about.

27 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

and maybe they could convince the employers of the players to allow them more time off work , after already using two days of their hard earned holidays. - Nobody can force any semi pro player to take time off work in the week.....  and the RFL cannot punish semi pro teams for not fielding a team if that was the reason

I have every sympathy for semi-pro players who can't get another extended weekend off work at short notice or lose money because of it, although you would expect their employers to be sympathetic to the fact that they are professional RL players and that for the players themselves the experience of a free trip to Toronto to play RL with their mates would far outweigh the negatives. But either way that isn't an issue that has been raised at all here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

By the same token, Toronto is the host and should do those little extra things.  A welcome pack (even just a pdf) with local coffee shops, cafes or restaurants, with links and how far they are by foot would take half an hour to write up and you're done for the year.

Explain that you need to get your booze at the Beer Store or LCBO, it's not in the supermarket over here.

I wouldn't expect a guest to have to find everything out, but that's just me.

Agreed to an extent but from Toronto's POV they've literally performed this entire logistical undertaking by themselves across two continents from scratch, both for their own players, staff and administrators for the entire year and also for the visiting teams on 11 occasions, they've sourced the finances, sponsorships, business connections etc to make it work from an both an on and off-field POV and they've done it entirely by themselves with no help or guidance from anyone. You can understand why they would maybe assume that the visiting teams would be capable of using Google to find somewhere to get a cup of coffee.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Agreed to an extent but from Toronto's POV they've literally performed this entire logistical undertaking by themselves across two continents from scratch, both for their own players, staff and administrators for the entire year and also for the visiting teams on 11 occasions, they've sourced the finances, sponsorships, business connections etc to make it work from an both an on and off-field POV and they've done it entirely by themselves with no help or guidance from anyone. You can understand why they would maybe assume that the visiting teams would be capable of using Google to find somewhere to get a cup of coffee.

Exactly right.

No offence to bearman. But to send 25 blokes 4000 miles with the assumption you would be fed doesnt seem too professinal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Agreed to an extent but from Toronto's POV they've literally performed this entire logistical undertaking by themselves across two continents from scratch, both for their own players, staff and administrators for the entire year and also for the visiting teams on 11 occasions, they've sourced the finances, sponsorships, business connections etc to make it work from an both an on and off-field POV and they've done it entirely by themselves with no help or guidance from anyone. You can understand why they would maybe assume that the visiting teams would be capable of using Google to find somewhere to get a cup of coffee.

Agreed as well to a certain extent. TWP are selling rugby league not only to Canada but to the UK as a genuine away destination also and that means having the best possible product on show.  

It's the little things which ease the transition of a long flight to know you're getting some assistance, and to know you're being pointed in the direction of a good place for some grub, a brew and a pint later on.

Fortunately most reports have been positive but how many projects or travels take the crappiest of turns when you can't get a decent brew going? :). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Exactly right.

No offence to bearman. But to send 25 blokes 4000 miles with the assumption you would be fed doesnt seem too professinal.

Do you have the memory of a goldfish ? Bearman has already explained that at the meeting to vote Toronto into the league (at which he was present as Coventry's representative) they did so under the guarantee that trips over there would be on a full board all expenses paid basis, exactly the same as trips to Toulouse are. Given that was how it was sold to them then why wouldn't clubs expect to be fed ? Why wouldn't they expect to receive what they were promised ? The issue isn't really about the cost, it is more that clubs were asked to vote on an entirely false premise and have quite rightly taken issue with that.

  • Like 3

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bearman said:

As we expected to have those things provided why would we do thst research?

I wouldn't waste your time trying to reason with Mr Perfect and his sidekick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanaBull said:

By the same token, Toronto is the host and should do those little extra things.  A welcome pack (even just a pdf) with local coffee shops, cafes or restaurants, with links and how far they are by foot would take half an hour to write up and you're done for the year.

Explain that you need to get your booze at the Beer Store or LCBO, it's not in the supermarket over here.

I wouldn't expect a guest to have to find everything out, but that's just me.

I agree and the Wolfpack should have ensured there were utensils in the accommodation. Out of interest though, do other clubs provide welcome packs etc for Toronto/Toulouse when they visit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I agree and the Wolfpack should have ensured there were utensils in the accommodation. Out of interest though, do other clubs provide welcome packs etc for Toronto/Toulouse when they visit?

No because 90% of the twp players and staff live in the UK . Toulouse there and back in 2 days

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I wouldn't waste your time trying to reason with Mr Perfect and his sidekick.

Imagine being Cumbrian and thinking it takes Mr Perfect to seek out the fairly simple solutions to rudimentary problems associated with international travel rather than throwing a tantrum about how everything is against you and the world is unfair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tango said:

No because 90% of the twp players and staff live in the UK . Toulouse there and back in 2 days

Yes, most of the Wolfpack players live in England so they have to go to Canada too, and stay there for much longer periods than the visiting teams. How do you think they are able to eat? By Barrow's logic it would either bankrupt the club trying to feed them or they would starve to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Yes, most of the Wolfpack players live in England so they have to go to Canada too, and stay there for much longer periods than the visiting teams. How do you think they are able to eat? By Barrow's logic it would either bankrupt the club trying to feed them or they would starve to death.

Ahhh logic,something sadly missing in your ramblings on this thread,which in case you forgot was about supporters helping out their club,something that anyone with a basic understanding of the struggles most clubs in this division face would applaud.

Edited by Davo5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tango said:

No because 90% of the twp players and staff live in the UK . Toulouse there and back in 2 days

 

So Toulouse don't need any help when they're over in a foreign country for a couple of days? Seems like double standards 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

and maybe they could convince the employers of the players to allow them more time off work , after already using two days of their hard earned holidays. - Nobody can force any semi pro player to take time off work in the week.....  and the RFL cannot punish semi pro teams for not fielding a team if that was the reason

They Can, the whole game used to be semi pro...how many floodlit trophy games got called off because players couldn't be bothered getting time off to travel to an away game!

This thread shows what's wrong with the lower levels of the game!

Whinging about a second free trip to N.A. just bring a bit of spending money!!

It won't be an issue much longer when Toronto move out of the small time.

People say Barrow should be playing in a higher -division  but if they are strapped for cash for a poultry sum of 2k and their inward attitude then they are possibly a few leagues higher than they should be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Ahhh logic,something sadly missing in your ramblings on this thread,which in case you forgot was about supporters helping out their club,something that anyone with a basic understanding of the struggles most clubs in this division face would applaud.

Stupid fans throwing money at a club that have one of the highest attendances in the league.

They are obviously paying higher wages than their rivals to be promoted. That's ok as long as they can afford it.

Like with Toulouse and Rochdale last year I dont think barrow like the competition that they feel are blocking their promotion chances!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, 2 people at work were selected to go to HP in California for higher level training. I wasn't one of them unfortunately (I'm a a pretty thick brexiter) but the two that were got a free trip there for 2 weeks, pretty much all in. Except that any free time they had, was at their own expense.

Later on, were they grateful for the opportunity? No, they only complained about the fact they had to pay for certain meals or nights out. And the accommodation wasn't A1.

Human nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder where the visiting teams will stay when they come in September? I expect the dorms at York University will be filled with their students then...

 

My offer of dinner at my house for a few visiting players still stands! Not too far from York University...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents worth on this matter:

a) I think its great that there are some Barrow fans working in support of the club even if perhaps some aspects such as the wording are perhaps not so "refined".

b ) If the terms of Toronto entering the league were to fully cover food and board for the visiting players, they should step up and do so.  Truthfully, all other arguments aside the costs are really a negligible addition to their budgets vs the goodwill and public perception gained by doing so.

c) Whether the terms did or did not actually include such (although I have no reason to doubt Bearman) TWP easily could still make arrangements for set price meals at discounts at a great many eating establishments - thousands of them in Toronto would happily consider such arrangements, especially if some nice press came out of it.

d) Barrow did get the short end of the stick this year in home and away scheduling, and I have no doubt it has hurt them notwithstanding the unexpected gate they got. 

Were I TWP management I would be acting in such a manner that issues such as this were headed off before they ever became public domain.  If they did not entirely understand the fragility of much of this league financially prior to entering, they certainly do now and they should be heading off issues like this - really, as former executive management myself in more then one transnational I would have done so in the blink of an eye.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

And thats the crux. Each club that whinged already had thier mind made up. And found issues with everything.

Much of the complaining has been unreasonable.

You have responded by considering all criticism as unreasonable. 

Almost all the criticism of TWP on this board has been dishonest.  Many clubs are most comfortable with the game in steady decline and no-one making them look bad so they can blame everyone else.  People will not admit that this is their problem, so they instead insist on issues that they would not judge any "traditional" club against.

  • Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The negativity of RL fans really pisses me off sometimes.

Rather than rejoice in the first real expansion attempt in years, people would rather ###### and main about not getting fed a burger when someone has just paid for them to be flown 4000 miles for a stay in one of North America's great cities.

What is wrong with people?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...