Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Barrow raising money for Toronto trip

On 9 August 2017 at 9:30 PM, West Leeds Riviera said:

In the interests of clarity could you rephrase the title of this thread to 

"Barrow SUPPORTERS raising money for Toronto trip"?

• Like 3

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Let me get this right.

Players and staff are given the opportunity to travel to one of the great cities of the world. Flights and accommodation paid for, plus breakfast thrown in for good measure.

They play in front of a crowd that's ten times what they're used to back home. The game is on TV as well. 

After the game they're given beer tokens by the Wolfpack and the chance to have a cracking time meeting the locals.

Yet because they have to spend a few quid (let's be generous and say £50) on food, the whole trip is criticised?!

The university accommodation is fantastic. Beds are comfortable, the showers are good. WHAT THE HELL DO PEOPLE WANT? A 5 STAR HOTEL?!

I cannot believe what I'm reading here I really can't. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tango said:

because the same woman who started the just giving page is organizing other events also. all they are doing is raising money for the club they support. so if you don't want to donate any money don't comment on the tread as it has nothing to do with you.

Why shouldnt people comment?  (already answered by another poster)

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

15 minutes ago, Bearman said:

In the interests of clarity could you rephrase the title of this thread to 

"Barrow SUPPORTERS raising money for Toronto trip"?

Everyone knows it's the supporters. And as stated, the reason the supporters are doing this is because they bought into the idiotic rhetoric that came out of the club last time.

28 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Really the issue here is that you and others want to find some reason to portray outsiders coming into the sport as nefarious, in cahoots with the RFL, not representative of good honest RL values etc. Just the same as the Rochdale fans calling Toulouse 'toxic' last year, for unknown reasons.

Read our past posts.

I think you will find that Bob8 and indeed myself have constantly posted that we believe expansion is a good thing. 

We want Toronto to climb the ladder and want that to be the catalyst for a huge explosion of growth for the game especially in N. America.

There have been teething problems. But, Toronto are doing a fantastic job.

The enthusiasm of the whole project especially the the enthusiasm of their fans is a joy to behold.

I want more outsiders coming in to the sport. It's just a shame that there have been misunderstandings but as the season has unfolded lessons have clearly been learnt.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Read our past posts.

I think you will find that Bob8 and indeed myself have constantly posted that we believe expansion is a good thing. 

We want Toronto to climb the ladder and want that to be the catalyst for a huge explosion of growth for the game especially in N. America.

The enthusiasm of the whole project especially the the enthusiasm of their fans is a joy to behold.

I want more outsiders coming in to the sport. It's just a shame that there have been misunderstandings but as the season has unfolded lessons have clearly been learnt.

So Barrow are going to put in a show in Toronto this time? I really hope so, it was pretty sad to see them play the victims last time. Especially considering the likes of the All Golds, Oxford, Hemel, Coventry etc. had a solid dig.

The Raiders could really trouble the Wolfpack if they are switched on.

16 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Let me get this right.

Players and staff are given the opportunity to travel to one of the great cities of the world. Flights and accommodation paid for, plus breakfast thrown in for good measure.

They play in front of a crowd that's ten times what they're used to back home. The game is on TV as well. 

After the game they're given beer tokens by the Wolfpack and the chance to have a cracking time meeting the locals.

Yet because they have to spend a few quid (let's be generous and say £50) on food, the whole trip is criticised?!

The university accommodation is fantastic. Beds are comfortable, the showers are good. WHAT THE HELL DO PEOPLE WANT? A 5 STAR HOTEL?!

I cannot believe what I'm reading here I really can't. 

On balance I find it hard to disagree with that. As I have repeatedly said the problem is partially that we were led to believe that the the Toronto experience would be on the same model as the Tolouse trip. It wasn't, but in fairness I know overall the Coventry experience was fantastic.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Read our past posts.

That's fine, and with that in mind I'm sure you can appreciate how pitiful and weak your arguments on this thread have been. TBH I think Barrow could've been housed in a 5 star hotel, given free meals at the top of the CN Tower every night and they would've still come home whinging and coming up with some type of thinly veiled attack at Toronto and the RFL. It's in their DNA. Not accusing you of this personally but you've certainly gone along with it by creating devastating, insurmountable problems out of minor issues that could've been easily dealt with just by using even the slightest bit of vigilance.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So Barrow are going to put in a show in Toronto this time? I really hope so, it was pretty sad to see them play the victims last time. Especially considering the likes of the All Golds, Oxford, Hemel, Coventry etc. had a solid dig.

The Raiders could really trouble the Wolfpack if they are switched on.

I hope so too. Unfortunately again player availability will be an issue. Last time the visa debacle and this time the  21st century version of "Broken Time" 

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 minute ago, Evil Homer said:

That's fine, and with that in mind I'm sure you can appreciate how pitiful and weak your arguments on this thread have been. TBH I think Barrow could've been housed in a 5 star hotel, given free meals at the top of the CN Tower every night and they would've still come home whinging and coming up with some type of thinly veiled attack at Toronto and the RFL. It's in their DNA. Not accusing you of this personally but you've certainly gone along with it by creating devastating, insurmountable problems out of minor issues that could've been easily dealt with just by using even the slightest bit of vigilance.

I think you have been over simplistic. 

So we will have to agree to disagree.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

I think you have been over simplistic. 

So we will have to agree to disagree.

I really haven't, the 'problems' raised here are so low-level and rudimentary that TBH I'm surprised you actually went through with typing them. No cutlery in the apartments FFS, it literally costs £4 to buy 100 plastic forks and paper plates. Anyone with the slightest bit of organizational ability could've done this easily. God forbid Barrow had to book their own flights or hotels.

4 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

I really haven't, the 'problems' raised here are so low-level and rudimentary that TBH I'm surprised you actually went through with typing them. No cutlery in the apartments FFS, it literally costs £4 to buy 100 plastic forks and paper plates. Anyone with the slightest bit of organizational ability could've done this easily. God forbid Barrow had to book their own flights or hotels.

Clearly you do not understand the word simplistic. You have simplified having NO cooking utensils to "a few plastic forks and paper plates" Just nip out of a uni campus an hour outside of Toronto to where? , buy EVERYTHING in order to make a meal after something like 18 hours of travel, Simples...jobs a 'gud 'un.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

'Broken promises', really? Pretty sure it was announced at the very start that visiting teams would be housed in university accommodation. I certainly knew that well before time, it's not as if this was just sprung on Barrow when they arrived. Really the issue here is that you and others want to find some reason to portray outsiders coming into the sport as nefarious, in cahoots with the RFL, not representative of good honest RL values etc. Just the same as the Rochdale fans calling Toulouse 'toxic' last year, for unknown reasons.

Absolute rubbish. We have a poster on this thread who was actually at the meeting when the Toronto admission was discussed and voted on. He has told us what was said. If you choose not to believe him that is your problem. Also, he wasn't there as a representative of a traditional club, he was there in his capacity as Club President of a recently admitted expansion club, one which he was one of the original founders. Why would he object to a fellow expansion club ? Why would he lie about what was said at the meeting and what clubs were promised ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

14 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Clearly you do not understand the word simplistic. You have simplified having NO cooking utensils to "a few plastic forks and paper plates" Just nip out of a uni campus an hour outside of Toronto to where? , buy EVERYTHING in order to make a meal after something like 18 hours of travel, Simples...jobs a 'gud 'un.

To where, I don't know, maybe the supermarket? You aren't in the middle of the jungle. Or you could've asked beforehand and taken the necessary equipment with you. Or you can just sit there and not eat and complain about how unfair it is. Up to you.

Edited by Evil Homer

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

You have turned into Parksider.

Your post is very reasonable and implies you are refuting my post.  But, it is just Like bait as it does not relate to my post in the least. 

It is just populist Like bait.

How does the RFL providing an uneven fixture have to do with me suggesting that Mattrhino has become over-sensitive to any criticism of TWP?

My response was to the second part of your post which was...

Almost all the criticism of TWP on this board has been dishonest.  Many clubs are most comfortable with the game in steady decline and no-one making them look bad so they can blame everyone else.  People will not admit that this is their problem, so they instead insist on issues that they would not judge any "traditional" club against.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Absolute rubbish. We have a poster on this thread who was actually at the meeting when the Toronto admission was discussed and voted on. He has told us what was said. If you choose not to believe him that is your problem. Also, he wasn't there as a representative of a traditional club, he was there in his capacity as Club President of a recently admitted expansion club, one which he was one of the original founders. Why would he object to a fellow expansion club ? Why would he lie about what was said at the meeting and what clubs were promised ?

What exactly do you think clubs were 'promised' that wasn't provided? A 5 star hotel? Outstanding meals each evening in Toronto's finest restaurants? A luxury spa? The initial press release stated that they would pay for travel and accommodation and that visiting teams would be staying in university dorms, which is exactly what has happened. I'm sure you want there to be 'broken promises' and other problems but I'm really struggling to see the issue here apart from a bunch of Cumbrians making themselves look laughably small-time and pathetic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

I don't know, 

I knew if we stuck at it long enough you would be right eventuall

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

12 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I knew if we stuck at it long enough you would be right eventuall

Ah, we get the usual smart-ass, partial quotation non-reply when someone has nothing else to say. As least we can acknowledge that it's a case of you not wanting to find the answer as opposed to there not being one.

BTW I just did a quick search online and there are around a dozen coffee shops, at least 5 greengrocers/supermarkets and even an Ikea within a mile and a half of the university campus.

Edited by Evil Homer

54 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

What exactly do you think clubs were 'promised' that wasn't provided? A 5 star hotel? Outstanding meals each evening in Toronto's finest restaurants? A luxury spa? The initial press release stated that they would pay for travel and accommodation and that visiting teams would be staying in university dorms, which is exactly what has happened. I'm sure you want there to be 'broken promises' and other problems but I'm really struggling to see the issue here apart from a bunch of Cumbrians making themselves look laughably small-time and pathetic.

You believe the press release.

Meanwhile I'll continue to believe the word of someone who was actually present at the discussions, who was there representing Coventry Bears. You appear to be labouring under the misapprehension that when Bearman refers to his time in Toronto he is talking about Barrow, when in fact he is talking about when Coventry went there.

Still, you know better than he does obviously from your precious press release.

People like you don't seem to be able to distinguish between the fact that it's not about being anti-Toronto, it's about being anti other clubs not being misled and/or having assurances reneged on. There is a big difference between the two things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

My response was to the second part of your post which was...

Almost all the criticism of TWP on this board has been dishonest.  Many clubs are most comfortable with the game in steady decline and no-one making them look bad so they can blame everyone else.  People will not admit that this is their problem, so they instead insist on issues that they would not judge any "traditional" club against.

That is "Absolute rubbish" as you are fond of saying.  You know full well that most of the criticism on this board has been absolute drivel.  Most of it from Parksider, whose style you seek to replicate.

You are kewen on dismissing people as "absolute rubbish".  If you will, try to avoid being seen anything that would seem to be "absolutely stupid".

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is "Absolute rubbish" as you are fond of saying.  You know full well that most of the criticism on this board has been absolute drivel.  Most of it from Parksider, whose style you seek to replicate.

You are kewen on dismissing people as "absolute rubbish".  If you will, try to avoid being seen anything that would seem to be "absolutely stupid".

I agree that a lot of the criticism of Toronto has been drivel.

I disagree that "Many clubs are most comfortable with the game in steady decline and no-one making them look bad so they can blame everyone else.  People will not admit that this is their problem, so they instead insist on issues that they would not judge any "traditional" club against". I think the point that Barrow have made about the fixture planning is a perfactly valid one and does not fit into your description of them above.

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

I agree that a lot of the criticism of Toronto has been drivel.

I disagree that "Many clubs are most comfortable with the game in steady decline and no-one making them look bad so they can blame everyone else.  People will not admit that this is their problem, so they instead insist on issues that they would not judge any "traditional" club against". I think the point that Barrow have made about the fixture planning is a perfactly valid one and does not fit into your description of them above.

So you declaring my post absolute rubbish was actually a disagreement with the part of it that dealt with a personal opinion.

Still, last time you declared my post rubbish, it was because you thought there is no cover-up linked to Hillsborough.  So, you are improving.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I started reading this thread about Rugby league and finished it by becoming an expert on North American junk food, paper plates and where to get a good cup of coffee in Toronto. Lets get back on topic as some of the replies here have bordered on the farcial.

The INDEPENDENT SUPPORTERS CLUB, which at the moment is a group of ladies, decided to raise some money for the club. End of. Because THEY want the money to go towards the Toronto trip, not the club because they haven't mentioned it and didn't even know crowdfunding was taking place. So please don't slag barrow Rugby Club off because of it. Yes, they will accept the money i'm sure but look at it another way. That will free up money intended for the trip to be put to other causes. Some posters commented it should go to ametuar level teams or for youth development. For information, Barrow Rugby have put aside thousands of pounds on a youth development program that sees over a hundred kids up to age 16 regularly attending Craven Park training sessions. This had developed into a team playing in the national college league with the formation of an acadamy team and ultimately in the near future, a reserve team. Not many semi and full time pro teams can say that.

So please stop slating a group of great girls, who incidentally did a great job in raising a lot of money for the Danny Jones fund and his family.

End of rant. Back to playtime if you want.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, TMF said:

I started reading this thread about Rugby league and finished it by becoming an expert on North American junk food, paper plates and where to get a good cup of coffee in Toronto. Lets get back on topic as some of the replies here have bordered on the farcial.

The INDEPENDENT SUPPORTERS CLUB, which at the moment is a group of ladies, decided to raise some money for the club. End of. Because THEY want the money to go towards the Toronto trip, not the club because they haven't mentioned it and didn't even know crowdfunding was taking place. So please don't slag barrow Rugby Club off because of it. Yes, they will accept the money i'm sure but look at it another way. That will free up money intended for the trip to be put to other causes. Some posters commented it should go to ametuar level teams or for youth development. For information, Barrow Rugby have put aside thousands of pounds on a youth development program that sees over a hundred kids up to age 16 regularly attending Craven Park training sessions. This had developed into a team playing in the national college league with the formation of an acadamy team and ultimately in the near future, a reserve team. Not many semi and full time pro teams can say that.

So please stop slating a group of great girls, who incidentally did a great job in raising a lot of money for the Danny Jones fund and his family.

End of rant. Back to playtime if you want.

Thank God, someone offering FACTS on this nonsical 8 page thread. Again well done those supporters trying to fund an away game.

Edited by The Vet

Thanks vet. I've just looked at the donation page. Supporters from all over the RL giving. They get it and get this. Some from Toronto supporters. We luv em. What a shame we couldn't welcome them to Barrow and show them our hospitality, including free sausage and chips. No paper plates for us.

• Like 1