Netherlands v Germany

The Netherlands coach Kane Krlic started his coaching career with us (North Derbyshire Chargers) in 2008 - he's a very good coach.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

6 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

He is also a top Person, like many in the game who put others before themselves.

Very true,

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I also read somewhere that a member of the conditioning team at Cas' has become part of the Nederland set up. They seem to be laying a platform here to take things to another level.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

I also read somewhere that a member of the conditioning team at Cas' has become part of the Nederland set up. They seem to be laying a platform here to take things to another level.

You did.  I believe the plan is to establish a strong league.

If that can bring in germany and belgium, be excellent.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/netherlands-name-expanded-back-room-staff/

Will be an interesting game. Germany are only picking players who played in the Domestic games again this year. 

They will be missing 4 or 5 players from the past couple of years, due to injury and others failing to play in the Domestic games. This is largely down to players from a team that said they would turn up and instead went playing Union 7s with no Warning. Good that Germany are now in a position that they Dont need to beg players to play, as was the case 4 years ago.

28 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Will be an interesting game. Germany are only picking players who played in the Domestic games again this year. 

They will be missing 4 or 5 players from the past couple of years, due to injury and others failing to play in the Domestic games. This is largely down to players from a team that said they would turn up and instead went playing Union 7s with no Warning. Good that Germany are now in a position that they Dont need to beg players to play, as was the case 4 years ago.

Doing a great job in Germany.

Not sure why the International calendar has been moved from July to August/September but it means Den Haag Knights  players cant play due to their union commitments.

Now some guys may say "So what".

BUT the Knights have been a growing League side over the past three seasons and have been in every final since the Dutch competition started up again.They love their League but will not give up a 22 game season of union for a 7 game League season.

They will compete from the end of their union commitments to the start of the union season which is similar in most developing European nations. Without these guys (and other union players at the other Dutch clubs) the competition would be worse off.

Some of the Knights players have represented Holland on numerous occasions and this new fixture format has not gone down well with them.They feel they are being excluded because they are classed as "Union" players despite being the first domestic club to beat Rotterdam Pitbull's in two seasons and losing the Grand Final to the same team 24-26 .... in the final play off the game..... without a line out or ruck taking place.

Seems a shame the Dutch board seem to be squeezing out players who could enhance the national side.

1 hour ago, yanto said:

Not sure why the International calendar has been moved from July to August/September but it means Den Haag Knights  players cant play due to their union commitments.

BUT the Knights have been a growing League side over the past three seasons and have been in every final since the Dutch competition started up again.They love their League but will not give up a 22 game season of union for a 7 game League season.

They will compete from the end of their union commitments to the start of the union season which is similar in most developing European nations. Without these guys (and other union players at the other Dutch clubs) the competition would be worse off.

Some of the Knights players have represented Holland on numerous occasions and this new fixture format has not gone down well with them.They feel they are being excluded because they are classed as "Union" players despite being the first domestic club to beat Rotterdam Pitbull's in two seasons and losing the Grand Final to the same team 24-26 .... in the final play off the game..... without a line out or ruck taking place.

Seems a shame the Dutch board seem to be squeezing out players who could enhance the national side.

Maybe it's a way of encouraging them to reduce their Union involvement?  For RL to grow beyond being a modest off-season activity for Union players in the countries where it's sprung up since 1995, it certainly needs a base of players who aren't constrained by Union commitments.

6 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Maybe it's a way of encouraging them to reduce their Union involvement?  For RL to grow beyond being a modest off-season activity for Union players in the countries where it's sprung up since 1995, it certainly needs a base of players who aren't constrained by Union commitments.

I would think that would be part of it and getting players to play it in a league style.

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Surely playing for your country is more important than playing low level Union for an amateur club? Germany has similar issues. But would rather have players who want to make sacrifices to play for their country,  than those that would rather play low level Union.

Surly encouraging people to play is important Simon.... Especially in countries we're the games is still in its development.

Again agree with the long term aim of stand alone league clubs. But until a youth structure is in place to produce future league players were does this place the 75% of the Dutch domestic competition who come from other sports including union. DH Knights have helped the NRLB structure ( which in turn had seen the bond gain further RLEF recognition)  only to be rewarded with the change of season(s)  which causes direct conflict in both the international and also the domestic seasons. The Dutch competition is four clubs...  can they afford to lose one due to what is looking more and more like a stance against union players. Not happy about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

James Guertjins of Coventry Bears is playing for the Netherlands. He's the only heritage player for them. Will be a great experience for him and am sure having his experience in the squad will help the other players. 

Hasn't he already played for Wales?

rldfsignature.jpg

15 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think so but no rules against switching nations in RL (as hotly debated in a recent thread here). 

There are rules though. You can switch between Tier 1 nations and any other tier nations you are eligible for. You can't switch between two nations outside tier 1 as far as I'm aware.

rldfsignature.jpg

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

There are rules though. You can switch between Tier 1 nations and any other tier nations you are eligible for. You can't switch between two nations outside tier 1 as far as I'm aware.

Maybe Netherlands are a Tier 3 country? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Not sure then but presumably eligibility has been checked (hopefully!) 

26 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Not sure then but presumably eligibility has been checked (hopefully!) 

It's no great deal at this level in my eyes but I'm just highlighting it. Another one looming at the WC is the possibility that Jordan Rapana may be selected for NZ even though he played in a WC qualifier for the Cook Islands. The rules state once a player has represented a nation in any aspect of a tournament he can't switch to another country in the same tournament.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 8/13/2017 at 10:30 PM, yanto said:

Although having never played for my country, ive been involved in managing national teams and have moved heaven and earth and risked matrimonial strife and missed important children's milestones to do my duty. I'm sure Dutch players can do the same with a rah rah game?

This is a friendly game and if the Dutch wish to use him fair enough. Germany could have done the same as we have done this in the past with the likes of Andy Hoggins, Keinhorst Brothers, Dan Stocks. But these were for Euro Shield games . For a friendly we are looking to use the domestic players that have shown commitment by travelling a good 3 or 4 hours- some over 6 hours- to play in the domestic games and then drive back. We will probably be underdogs in this game as the team is lacking experience and missing 5 or 6 from last year for various reasons. But no matter what the result is, its about giving people a small thank you and the chance to represent Germany. We also have had issues with players preferring to play in Union games instead of the International. in 2014 we was begging players to play now we can say to people who will not put League over Union thats their loss, not ours. Germany will use the best domestic players alongside the heritage players for the away game against the Welsh Amateurs in October.

Archived