Knock Ons in Wet Weather

30 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I know the ball is obviously harder to hold on to in wet weather, but the amount of knock ons recently has been ridiculous. Is it anything to do with the make of ball? I can't remember this many consistent knock ons in all wet weather games.

There are a lot of accusations about that and the RFL have been discussing with the ball manufacturer ways to make it less slippery in the wet

Wasn't one of the reasons for moving RL to Summer to avoid bad weather and make a better spectacle? Did no-one ever consider the Lancashire Monsoon season?

This wet weather knock on's narrative is a hot steaming pile of b-s

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

Just now, ravens88 said:

It's a convenient excuse for shocking level of ball handling and skill by Super league players!!!

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, ravens88 said:

Yes and no.

The weather does make things more difficult, and you would expect to see more errors when the conditions are poor. But too many teams and players just don't seem to adapt at all. There is no excuse for some of the error counts we see when the weather is bad.

Its quite simple.

Dry weather, play dry weather football.

Wet weather. play wet weather football.

Adapt to the conditions.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

The lack of respect for the ball by some players is disgraceful. Phil Clarke was right to point to it yesterday; often they are so obsessed with trying to play the ball quickly or seal-flop that they lose all notion of their obligation to keep hold of the thing.

The seal flopping I regard as a form of cheating, if they cut out that nonsense payers would be able to have quicker PTB's instead of milking penalties.I also abhor players that make contact with opponents when they are released from tackles and do a 180 degree turn, again to milk penalties, Cheating in my eyes as well.

The aussies dont seem to have the same issue when it pours down. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

It's all good saying "get better at ball handling" or "respect the ball", but when the ball just keeps randomly popping out during the collision, it becomes more of a lottery. It's literally up the jumper stuff to make sure it doesn't slip out.

If we want free flowing rugby, we need a grippier ball that can handle the wet conditions. I don't think this one can, and I don't recall this being much of an issue with the old one.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's all good saying "get better at ball handling" or "respect the ball", but when the ball just keeps randomly popping out during the collision, it becomes more of a lottery. It's literally up the jumper stuff to make sure it doesn't slip out.

If we want free flowing rugby, we need a grippier ball that can handle the wet conditions. I don't think this one can, and I don't recall this being much of an issue with the old one.

I've never played with one of the Rhino balls, so I can't really compare, but the old Steeden balls were excellent. Hardly any difference between wet and dry. 

It's the coaches fault for asking the players to attack the ball in the tackles 

, I've noticed it a lot more, pulling pushing hitting the ball etc, if it was just the ball you'd see players just dropping the ball when catching,

also in the good old days with mitre multiplex balls or leather laced up balls you caught the ball with your arms and chest then moved to your hands, now players catch with their hands, 

7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It's the coaches fault for asking the players to attack the ball in the tackles 

, I've noticed it a lot more, pulling pushing hitting the ball etc, if it was just the ball you'd see players just dropping the ball when catching,

also in the good old days with mitre multiplex balls or leather laced up balls you caught the ball with your arms and chest then moved to your hands, now players catch with their hands, 

You told me you were a ball player, Coach?

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I know the ball is obviously harder to hold on to in wet weather, but the amount of knock ons recently has been ridiculous. Is it anything to do with the make of ball? I can't remember this many consistent knock ons in all wet weather games.

I do remember some absolutely dreadful handling when we had those 8 panel balls about 10/15 years ago. They only lasted one season I think. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

Or players could improve their handling skills. Remember the balls of the past with no grip at all. They seemed to manage okay then 

10 hours ago, ravens88 said:

10 hours ago, Just Browny said:

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Its quite simple.

Dry weather, play dry weather football.

Wet weather. play wet weather football.

Adapt to the conditions.

1 hour ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

The match standard Rhino Balls and the same Steeden balls have equal grip at that level and both cost nearly £70 per ball. And theyre both made in the same factory!

34 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

You'd have thought they'd have been used to a wet ball,it's not as though it hardly rains over hear is it?.

The future is league likes all the above comments

11 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Part of the problem is that penalties are given too cheaply, half the time if you lose control of the ball you get a penalty (not a true stat!) - so the risk is worth it. Id like to see the responsibility back firmly on the ball carrier. Might make them focus on the skills a bit more.

20 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

By encouraging the responsibility to be back on the ball carrier (something it already is) by giving away less penalties for strips, what you actually promote is safety first, up the jumper rugby. Is that what you want? 

I think that point is overstated tbh, but it is something that needs to be tested to ensure there are no unintended consequences. But maybe an element of safety first instead of up to 30 errors per game is a positive development.

2 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

I do remember some absolutely dreadful handling when we had those 8 panel balls about 10/15 years ago. They only lasted one season I think. 

Used to love those as a kid - they were so unique and gave rugby league an identity. 

Unfortunately the first batch (introduced for the famous 2000 RLWC) were poorly designed and too round like a football and the second batch I believe were narrower but incredibly difficult to kick straight.

Shame. They looked cool!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived