Oxford and All Golds to merge?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, From the Woo said:

Sorry for the poor picture but I thought this was interesting in League Weekly. DSC_2770.thumb.JPG.9d783ee0a0c88a8677cf87c70bb1357f.JPG

very interesting insight from the coaches .  Particularly the Oxford boss stating oxford have circa 70k to spend on players !   How on earth does he get a team on the park for that .  Just done some quick sums (sad I know) but across league & cup games that's around £140 per appearance per player on average . Surely semi pro level RL has to pay more than that ?    & they won games against big teams this year .    

also interesting to hear Lee Greenwood just about say its a non starter.  probably on the basis that Oxfords 70k is not going to help much when all golds have already been spending 2 or 3 times that amount and still not cracked it down there 

money talks and without a benefactor , sugar daddy type figure its not going to change much 

11 minutes ago, chasetheace said:

very interesting insight from the coaches .  Particularly the Oxford boss stating oxford have circa 70k to spend on players !   How on earth does he get a team on the park for that .  Just done some quick sums (sad I know) but across league & cup games that's around £140 per appearance per player on average . Surely semi pro level RL has to pay more than that ?    & they won games against big teams this year .    

also interesting to hear Lee Greenwood just about say its a non starter.  probably on the basis that Oxfords 70k is not going to help much when all golds have already been spending 2 or 3 times that amount and still not cracked it down there 

money talks and without a benefactor , sugar daddy type figure its not going to change much 

That's a pretty accurate calculation and probably corresponds to what players are paid. It might be a shock to some people, but many RU clubs at low levels pay more than that. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

There are other clubs in league one with similar budgets. Very hard to get players in when other clubs will pay more and as mentioned clubs way down the union pyramid even will pay more. 

Clubs way down the RL pyramid pay more too.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

One of the big reasons Oxford can't field lots of southern players is most good rugby players in the area already earn far more for much less travel in union so have little interest in swapping codes. Those who did can usually find a bigger pay packet at other southern RL clubs.

Look at the typical Oxford signing under Tim Rumford, they were often lads who had dropped out of pro RL or were firmly in last chance saloon at Oxford. They were willing to play for surprisingly small sums in order to get a chance to impress, hopefully allowing them to move on to bigger and better the following season. These were added to with dual reg players, presumably from clubs willing to allow Oxford to play them for little to no charge to Oxford.

Tim has worked wonders to ensure Oxford never finished bottom with the budgets he has had. If this is the end I hope he gets a break elsewhere.

15 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

One of the big reasons Oxford can't field lots of southern players is most good rugby players in the area already earn far more for much less travel in union so have little interest in swapping codes. Those who did can usually find a bigger pay packet at other southern RL clubs.

Look at the typical Oxford signing under Tim Rumford, they were often lads who had dropped out of pro RL or were firmly in last chance saloon at Oxford. They were willing to play for surprisingly small sums in order to get a chance to impress, hopefully allowing them to move on to bigger and better the following season. These were added to with dual reg players, presumably from clubs willing to allow Oxford to play them for little to no charge to Oxford.

Tim has worked wonders to ensure Oxford never finished bottom with the budgets he has had. If this is the end I hope he gets a break elsewhere.

there are some very promising British coaches in league 1 & champ ,  rumford &  tsang at Coventry have certainly over achieved with the resources they have.    Oxford defeated York and Hunslet this year ??  and Coventry have had some good wins/ close shaves with the bigger clubs. Its amazing that other clubs don't take a look at these guys as they must have something about them.  Given a fair budget it would be interesting to see what they could achieve.  

It will be very interesting also to see the coaching set up at a new oxford /all golds merger  ,where the club will be based and how they will recruit players ....more questions than answers I think.  Very good point about low level RU paying players earning more than league 1 clubs can offer .  why would these lads want to play are much harder game for less money ?  

17 hours ago, Frog said:

Commercial realities , the reason (Ironically) that rugby league came into existence now threaten the viability of this great game.

Hardly. There's something like 1000 full-time professional players in Britain, you could hardly imagine that back in the 1980s when it was all part-time.  The NRL have a $1.8 billion tv deal. There's a huge difference between that and the struggles of 2 clubs with very short histories and which would consider 200 people to be a good crowd. Oxford & Gloucs always looked the least likely to survive long-term of all the entrants back in 2013. It would be unfortunate to lose either, or both, but not exactly a threat to the viability of the sport.

On 15/09/2017 at 0:24 PM, JonM said:

Hardly. There's something like 1000 full-time professional players in Britain, you could hardly imagine that back in the 1980s when it was all part-time.  The NRL have a $1.8 billion tv deal. There's a huge difference between that and the struggles of 2 clubs with very short histories and which would consider 200 people to be a good crowd. Oxford & Gloucs always looked the least likely to survive long-term of all the entrants back in 2013. It would be unfortunate to lose either, or both, but not exactly a threat to the viability of the sport.

Gloucs always looked stable.

On 15/09/2017 at 0:24 PM, JonM said:

Where's your sense of Ironry? We now play the game for love Instead of going 'South' for the money.

On 17 September 2017 at 3:17 PM, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Gloucs always looked stable.

Average age of Sundays team was 22

All the players that turned out against Hemel began Pre season training with the club this season 

All either Southern based or have commited travel to train with the Club in Gloucester - no dual reg aggrement with any other club or long term loans or training bases in the North

Think that might back up that statement , there will be a few of the M62 clubs who couldn't produce stats like that ..... 

• 3 weeks later...

Any information from All Golds/Oxford and/or the RFL about their future?

Speculation/rumours about merger/L1 changes are seriously affecting potential university applicants applying to Gloucester uni - UCAS applications need to be made very soon!

As an outsider I had been really impressed with the All Golds set up & what has been achieved developing players. (I don’t know much about Oxford so can’t comment there.)

Potential RL/RU semi pro aspiring students could amass £50,000 of debt from a 3 year uni degree so need to make their rugby choice university based on facts.

2 hours ago, dead man inc said:

Any information from All Golds/Oxford and/or the RFL about their future?

Speculation/rumours about merger/L1 changes are seriously affecting potential university applicants applying to Gloucester uni - UCAS applications need to be made very soon!

As an outsider I had been really impressed with the All Golds set up & what has been achieved developing players. (I don’t know much about Oxford so can’t comment there.)

Potential RL/RU semi pro aspiring students could amass £50,000 of debt from a 3 year uni degree so need to make their rugby choice university based on facts.

On a side note, I'm surprised Loughborough never went the semi pro route. They always seemed to have a great team and are in an expansion area.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 hours ago, From the Woo said:

I am led to believe that there is a RFL meeting happening today regarding the future. When any announcement will be made is anyone's guess though.

I haven't seen one player re-sign/sign for either team. which can't be a good sign.

Yes, the not signing of players is not a good sign.

What have you heard about the RFL meeting? there must be something happening if meetings are going on.

You'd have thought they would be both carrying on as they are at this point? we normally get fixtures in October.

It is typical for Oxford not to have announced signings yet so I wouldn't read too much into that.

However it is fair to say that those of us who watched the club said our goodbyes at the end of last season. I think an acceptance drew in about half way through last season the rugby league will not pay its way at a stadium with awful spectator facilities on the outskirts of Abingdon. 

There have certainly been meetings with the RFL etc and others to see what, if anything, the future is. We have been promised a statement when a final decision is made. We will just have to wait and trust those involved to do their best. The Oxford owners are genuine RL people and I am confident they will do what they can to ensure something goes forward. There are limits to what they can do however.

Hopefully something is left standing for those of us in the area who watch RL. Something that has a greater chance of attracting and retaining new fans. Will it be Oxford playing at Tilsley Park? We'll, as I said those of us who watched the team said our goodbyes incase......

Interesting piece in the RLE this morning regarding the proposed merger and leaving a place for a club like Manchester Rangers.

Made more interesting by the apparent suggestion from the RFL and the intrigue about the addition of Manchester to the new logo for Swinton,released a few days ago.

Also,news of player departures from Oxford,seemingly on the advice of the Oxford coach Tim Rumford who is still uncertain of what is going on.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

7 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Interesting piece in the RLE this morning regarding the proposed merger and leaving a place for a club like Manchester Rangers.

Made more interesting by the apparent suggestion from the RFL and the intrigue about the addition of Manchester to the new logo for Swinton,released a few days ago.

Also,news of player departures from Oxford,seemingly on the advice of the Oxford coach Tim Rumford who is still uncertain of what is going on.

What does the piece say?

Archived