Sign in to follow this  
leaguefan13

New TV channel

I'm watching it now (Souths V Parra) and I scrapped everything on sky and only use the box, so its definitely free. Beats whatever old cobblers is on 'normal' TV anyway.

Not on virgin, i will cancel my premier sub when it is which begs the question whether this a big gamble by them, ads versus subs

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

7 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Not on virgin, i will cancel my premier sub when it is which begs the question whether this a big gamble by them, ads versus subs

Premier Sports/Setanta seem to be the major provider for this channel, but there are five other media companies involved. If they are sharing the costs and still having subscription-only content on their own channels, it might work out.

It does seem like a gamble. The most recent free sports channel, Front Runner, lasted less than a year on FreeView.

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Premier Sports/Setanta seem to be the major provider for this channel, but there are five other media companies involved. If they are sharing the costs and still having subscription-only content on their own channels, it might work out.

It does seem like a gamble. The most recent free sports channel, Front Runner, lasted less than a year on FreeView.

I am really unsure what is in it for Premier Sports. If it is not exclusive to them how is it going to drive subscriptions? I have a premier subscription but cannot watch the Toronto game live on their channel tonight. However, I can watch it for free on Freesports? This seems counter productive.

Edited by Scubby

Just now, Scubby said:

I am really unsure what is in it for Premier Sports. If it is not exclusive to them how is it going to drive subscriptions? I have a premier subscription but cannot watch the Toronto game live on their channel tonight. However, I can watch it for free on Freesports? This seems counter productive.

I suspect they may have worked out that there just aren't enough people interested in ice hockey and the NRL that will appeal to advertisers & their subscription base is too low.  So they're trying no subs but bigger audiences to increase advertising revenue.  I'd be surprised if either channel sticks around for too long.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I suspect they may have worked out that there just aren't enough people interested in ice hockey and the NRL that will appeal to advertisers & their subscription base is too low.  So they're trying no subs but bigger audiences to increase advertising revenue.  I'd be surprised if either channel sticks around for too long.

I get this feeling too. Let's hope they get through the World Cup. The best case scenario would be lots of RLWC games on Freesports before it all comes crashing down.

Setanta/Premier have already had a disastrous experience on terrestrial TV (albeit with a card-subscription service). I really hope they've thought this through.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 hour ago, Michael1812 said:

I've been loving it so far. Watched three NRL matches and some hockey. I am also really looking forward to the Wolfpack tonight. 

Exactly let's hope there are some RLWC games on there. They would rate well IMO.

I hope it lasts a while!  NRL is new to me - it seems intense and skilful.  I found the Footy Show a bit beyond my interest. Hope to see TWP tonight.  

7 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

I hope it lasts a while!  NRL is new to me - it seems intense and skilful.  I found the Footy Show a bit beyond my interest. Hope to see TWP tonight.  

I rarely watch the Footy Show, but vaguely remember it being funnier in the past. That could just be nostalgia, though.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yep I was thinking that. Not sure whether to cancel subscription now though might wait till after WC 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

This is the first im aware of this. Why the eff cant i watch toronto in hd tonight? What am i paying for?

They have always been imbeciles running this channel and have gone into overdrive right now.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is the first im aware of this. Why the eff cant i watch toronto in hd tonight? What am i paying for?

They have always been imbeciles running this channel and have gone into overdrive right now.

They have always appeared Cowboys. Why oh why would you sell them not one, but two sets of World Cup rights for a pittance? I am really wondering what I am actually subscribing for?

• Like 1

Loving it, all those NRL games ....  and Toronto on shortly.  Thinking I might  drop Freesport a line to say how much I am enjoying their channel/progs (especially the RL).  As I don't tweet, chat or facebook, anyone any idea where I could send such a message?

Feel for anyone paying and not seeing games but I'm very much enjoying it. Even moreso given I can't even watch stuff like UK gold so for me it's a right result.

Some great action in this Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors game - I won't spoil it for those recording it other than to say that.

I don't know how long we can expect to enjoy free live NRL action so enjoy it while you can!

Noticed that BT Sport have increased the amount of coverage they give to Super League on their sports news info bars.  Wonder if rugby league is going on their radar now?

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

14 hours ago, Jasper said:

Loving it, all those NRL games ....  and Toronto on shortly.  Thinking I might  drop Freesport a line to say how much I am enjoying their channel/progs (especially the RL).  As I don't tweet, chat or facebook, anyone any idea where I could send such a message?

carrier_pigeon.jpg

• Haha 1