Warrington sign Sitaleki Akauola

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Off course i do but it would have better if it had been 32, and would i be right in thinking that none of them 6 overseas players were current International or SOO  players?

You are coming across as xenophobic really. Our game is enriched by overseas players.

Jullien will be in the France squad for the World Cup. Sims might not make it for Fiji, but he played in 2013. Hiku is 24 and has 9 New Zealand caps. Kurt Gidley has a dozen Kangaroo caps. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

You dont think Warrington have been more exciting to watch with better results since they signed Hiku to replace Rhys Evans at centre?

If they improve the team they offer something. 4 NRL players from 32 is perfectly fine and it is crazy to suggest that British lads are not getting a chance.

I think highlighting Warrington as an example of stifling British talent isn't right

I'd be looking at the likes of Leigh & Salford who don't run academies or the overseas contingents at the likes of Hull & Widnes

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You dont think Warrington have been more exciting to watch with better results since they signed Hiku to replace Rhys Evans at centre?

If they improve the team they offer something. 4 NRL players from 32 is perfectly fine and it is crazy to suggest that British lads are not getting a chance.

Hiku is two months younger than Evans too - weird definition of a has-been.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

59 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

As far as I'm concerned overseas players stunt the development of British players.

My stance has never changed on this and never will.

I make no secret of the fact that i would like to overseas players phased out of the British Rugby League over a period of time unless of course they are a current international or SOO player but that's not going to happen.

Then you don't understand player development.

I take it your in the "just give them me game time and they'll get better" camp? That's not how player development works.

Player development works by playing alongside and with better, more challenging players that force you to become better. It makes you think in different ways to overcome challenges. When very talented players come over, you often learn and develop in ways you wouldn't have on your own. It's like networking in any job.

There will never be a day where we get rid of imports - not do I wish there to be a day where we do. I like seeing a blend of youth, experience, locals, nationals, Europeans and internationals.

Standing by your stance regardless is not something to be desired either. It's stubborn and actually makes your argument seem weaker. If someone were to tell me a better argument to oppose mine, I'd change my mind. That's how rational thought works.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I know this will sound terribly old fashioned by why don't defenders just chop big heavy runners like that down at the ankles? There's no chance of an offload for a number of reasons; 1. He's carrying the ball up without any support runners, 2. The ball is tucked under his armpit, and 3. He'd hit the deck so fast anyway that he'd have no chance to offload (assuming he has that ability to offload which I suspect he doesn't).

All the defenders are doing is waiting passively offering him a target.

36 minutes ago, ColT said:

I know this will sound terribly old fashioned by why don't defenders just chop big heavy runners like that down at the ankles? There's no chance of an offload for a number of reasons; 1. He's carrying the ball up without any support runners, 2. The ball is tucked under his armpit, and 3. He'd hit the deck so fast anyway that he'd have no chance to offload (assuming he has that ability to offload which I suspect he doesn't).

All the defenders are doing is waiting passively offering him a target.

I think a big reason tackling techniques have changed is the speed of the play the ball . A good ankle tackle can result in a quicker ruck and even a penalty if the guy doesn't release in a split second . It's all the three man tackle and wrestle to control the ruck . I do think there's a plethora of leg lifting now that needs looking at though 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think a big reason tackling techniques have changed is the speed of the play the ball . A good ankle tackle can result in a quicker ruck and even a penalty if the guy doesn't release in a split second . It's all the three man tackle and wrestle to control the ruck . I do think there's a plethora of leg lifting now that needs looking at though 

Yes. If the runner gets on his front and gets a quick ptb the tackler will still be on his back in all likelihood and the defence wont have had time to set, so whilst you may have stopped the attacker, you haven't stopped the attack.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes. If the runner gets on his front and gets a quick ptb the tackler will still be on his back in all likelihood and the defence wont have had time to set, so whilst you may have stopped the attacker, you haven't stopped the attack.

Watch the video, there's nobody to ptb to! Also, I'd have a second defender look to hit the prone player as he hits the deck or slightly after.

2 minutes ago, ColT said:

Watch the video, there's nobody to ptb to! Also, I'd have a second defender look to hit the prone player as he hits the deck or slightly after.

If players started to take his legs, they would soon get an acting half there.

You are also risking penalties with your 2nd man approach.

We also shouldnt forget that its also pretty difficult to do and not get bumped off.

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If players started to take his legs, they would soon get an acting half there.

You are also risking penalties with your 2nd man approach.

We also shouldnt forget that its also pretty difficult to do and not get bumped off.

Union players go low and high simultaneously. It's a largely forgotten skill to chop tackle in RL. The player in the OP runs like he's on rails, that's not a difficult tackle to make. Our it shouldn't be for a pro.

13 minutes ago, ColT said:

Union players go low and high simultaneously. It's a largely forgotten skill to chop tackle in RL. The player in the OP runs like he's on rails, that's not a difficult tackle to make. Our it shouldn't be for a pro.

I think there is more simultaneous high and low tackling in RL than you think, ColT.  Indeed, I suspect RU has picked up the approach from our code.  An example of a player who consistently goes low, leaving a bigger team-mate to smother higher up is Theo Fages, arguable about the most reliable and busy tackler amongst SL half backs.  I think the Wigan team of two or three years ago were consistently reliable at using a co-ordinated high-and-low approach.  This season, I think they have been more erratic with this.

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I think there is more simultaneous high and low tackling in RL than you think, ColT.  Indeed, I suspect RU has picked up the approach from our code.  An example of a player who consistently goes low, leaving a bigger team-mate to smother higher up is Theo Fages, arguable about the most reliable and busy tackler amongst SL half backs.  I think the Wigan team of two or three years ago were consistently reliable at using a co-ordinated high-and-low approach.  This season, I think they have been more erratic with this.

It tends to be two hitting high simultaneously. The chop tackle is something else, it's actually brutal when done effectively and the ball carrier often gets badly winded and/or knocks-on such is the speed they hit the deck. 

5 hours ago, ColT said:

32 posts in and making an unnecessary and unfavourable comparison with union. I can't see this being a long stay.

Archived