Harry jepson 2017

I've asked before but has anyone got fixtures for this seasons comp. understand its league rep teams from west of England, east of England, London & midlands. Why no wales & north east (which seems to be the best organised & growth area). Any help, who organises it? No one publicises is it.

The RFL website has information about the new format and a list of games to take place. Unfortunately they don't have exact dates or venues, other than for the final:

http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/article/50817/tickets

The Oxford rah-rah club have posted that they are hosting West of England v London and South East on Saturday 2 September at 1pm. London South East Rugby League have confirmed the date and venue, but not the time.

As far as I'm aware, the only fixture I saw was at Oxford RFC between London & SE and West regions.  KO is at 1pm today.DIkEyYCXoAAFj78.thumb.jpg.b88a15a6b426a3051bec4dc20c6169ea.jpg

I think everybody can guess which teams had a hand in picking the squad and which clubs didn't.

Looks like this could be a good comp, but perhaps should include wales & ne leagues also. Perhaps as an extra comp to the old harry jepson played by regional league winners. Or no time for both as same players would be in both.

Encouraging to have three southern regions involved? Something to build on.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

• 6 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, bbfaz said:

As far as I'm aware, the only fixture I saw was at Oxford RFC between London & SE and West regions.  KO is at 1pm today.DIkEyYCXoAAFj78.thumb.jpg.b88a15a6b426a3051bec4dc20c6169ea.jpg

I think everybody can guess which teams had a hand in picking the squad and which clubs didn't.

Actually you're quite wide of the mark with this allegation. This was a fair and thorough process.

All clubs in the LSE Leagues (Merit and Premier) were invited to submit names to be on the staff.  The staff was then chosen by the RFL, with no club having more than two representatives.

All clubs (via their chair/league contact) were then invited to submit player nominations. These players were then invited to two trial days at the end of the season. The staff then held a conference call to determine who would be selected, based on the availability provided by the players, on their performance in the trial days and the league Grand Finals.  The squad changed for each game, with many players getting a run, including several from the merit league.

Frankly, I'm not sure what more we could have done to make this as open as possible.

With no funding from the RFL or another source, how exactly would you like us to do that? 

We asked each player to buy a polo shirt for £20 and indicated it would cost approx £50-70 in travel costs from London if using public transport. Given we had three away fixtures. 

We negotiated the kit for free from a sponsor, begged stole and borrowed other kit and managed to get the physio for free to keep the costs as low as possible. 

Please also remember we only had a limited time to sort this out, so couldn't get any further sponsorship in place. 

I'm not saying it was a failure.  You did really well considering all the obstacles.  However, the coaches and organisers involved were from the same clubs as the players that were picked.   That's indisputable.  Looking at it critically, that is probably because those clubs had people on the ground who were taking it seriously.

However, from being involved with a club in the region, it all felt a little bit off and we steered clear.  Going forward, if rep rugby is here to stay, it needs to be broadened, democratised and made more transparent.  Every club should be a stakeholder and carry a chunk of the responsibility.  Maybe our view of it was coloured by any number of little things which felt a little off last year.  We all judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions.  Intentions may be pure but if that isn't properly communicated, we can only judge you on what we can see from your actions.

I'm not trying to be offensive.  I'm just saying how I see it.  When money gets asked for, it sets off red flags.

Archived