Barrow Game .

Anonymouse

Stokes was a good coach but he was lacking man management skills, ask any of the players that he coached, they all will say good coach but missing management skills.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why veivers gets as much stick as he does . Yes as in most cases with coaches it didn't end well , but I think we were 7th and 8th in the championship under him and he was often frustrated by our inability to strengthen the squad .He instilled disciplines which some didn't like and seemed to have high standards , and in the main he did pretty well for us in the circumstances

3 hours ago, Oneday said:

I agree, has Callum ever played 80 mins under any coach and we’ve been twining about line speed etc as long as I can recall. How many great coaches have we had since Walsh? I think it highly unlikely anyone is going to come and suddenly turn us into world beaters. Some of the stuff against Clarke strikes me as personal. I’m happy to see what happens next year and what improvement we make, one year with an almost completely new side isn’t much to go on. I mean with the paltry crowds we get should we really be somewhere else? 

I dont think its about wanting to be  suddenly turned into world beaters. Its more of seeing gradual improvement and moving on a bit. Some fans just don't see any improvements in certain areas and its become frustrating.  As for callum what was very noticeable  was  DC's decision to sub him in the 2nd half of the donny game was met with a very clear reaction from the  crowd with boos. We went on to have two sets in the donny 20 with our most creative player sat on the bench watching.  Its all about opinions.

Definitely, I do think we have done well this season, we could have done a bit better but that's water under the bridge now,  its all about getting the team and the club to the next level now, I think the present BOD are doing a great job and prepared to do the re building job within the budget, unlike other clubs trying to buy promotion, the biggest positive we have on the coaching side is Jonty Gorley.

Our senior players are of limited ability, our younger players are of limited experience at this level and there's been a lack of grunt up front. Maybe we've let games slip due to these factors . We've done ok no more than that.

Stokes didn't have people skills at all, it was his way however wrong it was. Vievers started well then showed a total lack of the ability to change things that didn't work game after game after game.

Stokes also had Limmer, JT and Sione so it's hard to comment on how much of his success was down to coaching.

27 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

Our senior players are of limited ability, our younger players are of limited experience at this level and there's been a lack of grunt up front. Maybe we've let games slip due to these factors . We've done ok no more than that.

Stokes didn't have people skills at all, it was his way however wrong it was. Vievers started well then showed a total lack of the ability to change things that didn't work game after game after game.

To be fair to stokes, the best thing he did have was contacts within the game. Got some really good overseas players over for us. That was vievers biggest fault, our best coach by a distance over recent years but couldn't seem to be able to attract the better quality players. 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

2 minutes ago, wonky said:

To be fair to stokes, the best thing he did have was contacts within the game. Got some really good overseas players over for us. That was vievers biggest fault, our best coach by a distance over recent years but couldn't seem to be able to attract the better quality players. 

With one glaring exception !

On 04/09/2017 at 3:37 PM, donald said:

Mewse had a stormer at the recre in the ipro cup if he's getting frozen out at town wouldnt mind him at haven next season if we've gotta replace calvert

Well he's been pretty average playing for seaton this year 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

16 minutes ago, wonky said:

I was gonna accept the Vievers comment as it's all about opinions but I can't. He had Verlinden who wasn't everybody's cup of tea but that guy could have been offloading for fun but that wasn't in Viever's gameplan. He used the crash ball to Brett P and the wide ball to Murphy that every team in the league sussed in 5 minutes but continued with them as his only attacking moves. After the first few games nobody fell for it, there was no plan B.

Any success last year was down to Mr Sammut.

Vievers may very well have had the most success in his first couple of seasons but we must not forget he had the most expensive Town squad for some time ? Its like comparing apples and pears where we are now. Ollie , Verlinden , Sammut & the elusive boot man would have cost 80% of our current playing budget

38 minutes ago, wonderofwood said:

Vievers may very well have had the most success in his first couple of seasons but we must not forget he had the most expensive Town squad for some time ? Its like comparing apples and pears where we are now. Ollie , Verlinden , Sammut & the elusive boot man would have cost 80% of our current playing budget

Yes true , it's all relative . Same argument in football about who's a great coach 

I don't know what everyone expects we can all see that we have problems in the middles no enforcers, until this changes how can we expect DC to coach any better. The middles win you games as we saw against Barrow. At times we've played some good rugby, lost games because of silly mistakes DC can't coach for that. If players don't want to play for him let them go players don't run rugby clubs.

1 minute ago, CAT said:

I don't know what everyone expects we can all see that we have problems in the middles no enforcers, until this changes how can we expect DC to coach any better. The middles win you games as we saw against Barrow. At times we've played some good rugby, lost games because of silly mistakes DC can't coach for that. If players don't want to play for him let them go players don't run rugby clubs.

I've just been listening to the Gus podcast and he talks about exactly this , in relation to Maguire and Hasler . He says player power is very important now , players talk between each other more , and players decide they need a change , but they should remember that ' when the coach goes they sack their excuse ' . 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I've just been listening to the Gus podcast and he talks about exactly this , in relation to Maguire and Hasler . He says player power is very important now , players talk between each other more , and players decide they need a change , but they should remember that ' when the coach goes they sack their excuse ' . 

Until half way through the next season and the same players start causing issues again against the new coach. Bad cycle,maybe need to buck the trend and simply say to some

"Who do you want to play for ?"

As soon as their is a delay in response the next comment by Town officials should be

"Thanks for your service,good luck wherever you end up, please close the door on the way out " . 

It's the one constant at the club that is heard repeatedly amongst the fanbase is that there are senior players who aren't with the coach. Season after season. It can't go on. Were 1 year into a 3-5 year plan, surely that plan doesn't involve changing coach after year 1. 

20 minutes ago, Ginock1 said:

Until half way through the next season and the same players start causing issues again against the new coach. Bad cycle,maybe need to buck the trend and simply say to some

As soon as their is a delay in response the next comment by Town officials should be

"Thanks for your service,good luck wherever you end up, please close the door on the way out " . 

It's the one constant at the club that is heard repeatedly amongst the fanbase is that there are senior players who aren't with the coach. Season after season. It can't go on. Were 1 year into a 3-5 year plan, surely that plan doesn't involve changing coach after year 1. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.

2 hours ago, Ginock1 said:

Bang on mate.

5 hours ago, wonky said:

Well he's been pretty average playing for seaton this year 

Say's who? And Scott Rooke? Anything negative to contribute about the lad ? The stated ambition of the current board was to consolidate and build from the grass- roots up with the emphasis on nurturing the best of our local talent . Instead we appoint a coach who spurns the availability of guys who yearn to wear the blue and white in favour of a steady stream of costly travellers who will ultimately contribute nothing to the survival of our Club.There are plenty of comments on here about the need to develop what potential we have on our doorstep but that won't be achieved by knocking back the young lads who's signing was trumpeted at the time we got their signature. The prospect of identifying and attracting the cream of home-grown players is undermined by the treatment doled out to the lads who have been systematically overlooked over the course of this underwhelming season. 

17 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Gordon Mauldling is doing ok Sandy, a young local forward who Town seen potential in and signed and who has trained hard and listened to his coaches and who is developing into a very good player , is he not ?

And that is the point I am trying to make. Maudling has been given his head and taken his chance despite the fact that he trains no harder than the players I've mentioned. Development and progress can't be achieved by lads being limited to carrying water and the kicking tee on. 

Sandy it is only my opinion but I feel young mewes will become a good player but in the games he has played that I have seen he has been targeted and exposed and looked totally under confident, in years gone by he would have been in the second team learning his trade, if he is dedicated enough and committed and trains hard I am sure he will be given a chance to show us what he can do, I think the way the club are working and developing him is the best way forward for him at his age, him going back to Seaton and playing for them will also help develop his game, this is just my opinion Sandy.

Singleton , Maudling , Curwen all new local Cumbrian amateurs who have nailed down a place in the starting line up , as has Lister lately and then there is the new semi pro signing Hambley , young Dowsett was a regular and would be today if not for work , other Cumbrian and locals who are now senior 1st teamers are Jason , Kris ,  Callum , Brett , Tee , Stevie and Jamie . I dont see too much cause for complaint over locals not playing for Town , the ones seen able and have impressed have always managed to grab a place . 

9 minutes ago, GMcKeating said:

Hi Sandy. I rarely comment on your statements but feel that I must on this one  as it is again so one sided. You talk in very strident terms about the goings on at the club. 

A steady stream of costly travellers? How so?

I would say that we are nurturing local talent. Tom Curwen, Gordon, Stevie all signed last week. More signed this week. Contract discussions taking place every day. Local players being watched every weekend. 

It is also extremely unfair to say that travellers contribute nothing to the future of the club.  Travelling  up the motorway to train each week needs focus and commitment and those guys have it. 

Life is never black and white and there is always several sides to every story. A balanced view on where we are as a club would be welcome. 

Are you saying that bringing in players from clubs in the M62 corridor comes cheap ?  I don't believe that "costly" is an inappropriate adjective in this regard - not forgetting a certain high profile and high maintenance signing who has thus far deigned to travel  much home or away. ( Except Mexico)   This season will soon end with more of a whimper than a bang and the whole sorry process will have to be jump-started again next year against a backdrop of dwindling attendances and Machiavellian manipulation by Red Hall in pursuit of their fantasy expansionist goals. As you say Life is never Black or White - unless you are a Hull supporter- but a forum is surely meant to cater for 50 shades of grey in respect of opinions whether you like them or not. As for "balance" there is nothing more conducive to equilibrium than a man with a chip on both shoulders. 

9 minutes ago, GMcKeating said:

Hi Sandy. I rarely comment on your statements but feel that I must on this one  as it is again so one sided. You talk in very strident terms about the goings on at the club. 

A steady stream of costly travellers? How so?

I would say that we are nurturing local talent. Tom Curwen, Gordon, Stevie all signed last week. More signed this week. Contract discussions taking place every day. Local players being watched every weekend. 

It is also extremely unfair to say that travellers contribute nothing to the future of the club.  Travelling  up the motorway to train each week needs focus and commitment and those guys have it. 

Life is never black and white and there is always several sides to every story. A balanced view on where we are as a club would be welcome. 

Archived