Twp tonight

kev p

Not sure if anyone else watching twp v Whitehaven noticed ground nowhere near full and supporters continually walking around. Beer tents looked busy with people staying put! Stadium looks poor, no proper seats or any roof at all. Or if there is one it's on camera side. 

6 minutes ago, kev p said:

Not sure if anyone else watching twp v Whitehaven noticed ground nowhere near full and supporters continually walking around. Beer tents looked busy with people staying put! Stadium looks poor, no proper seats or any roof at all. Or if there is one it's on camera side. 

I would want to get a round in Toronto.

If you have 6000 people queuing at the bar.

Great effort from Whitehaven who can hold their heads high. Almost certain promotion for Wolfpack now. Will be really interesting to see them in the championship next season. I've been massively impressed with everything they've done this year. Whatever people think this can only be good for the game which has to grow to survive. 

2 hours ago, kev p said:

I was at the game (season ticket holder who also renewed today for next season). It was a smaller crowd today: just over 6,000 compared to over 7,500 two weeks ago. Likely due to the long weekend plus competition from the Canadian National Exhibition (big summer fair with rides etc), which also features a major air show each day of the long weekend.

And I agree it's not a great stadium. No roof at all, no seats (metal benches), poor sound system, dual markings on the field, and spartan facilities. They will either significantly improve it in coming years or (my hope) move to nearby BMO field where Toronto FC play - a much larger and better stadium in very way.

Good game today though. Whitehaven can be proud of their effort.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think with threads like these we now know that Toronto are officially part of the RL family :) 

You got a thumbs up from me Scubby - could not have said it better myself.   Forgetting for a moment that half the RL play in the barest of stadiums and would bend over to get the crowds TWP get even on a bad day.....

37 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

I was at the game (season ticket holder who also renewed today for next season). It was a smaller crowd today: just over 6,000 compared to over 7,500 two weeks ago. Likely due to the long weekend plus competition from the Canadian National Exhibition (big summer fair with rides etc), which also features a major air show each day of the long weekend.

And I agree it's not a great stadium. No roof at all, no seats (metal benches), poor sound system, dual markings on the field, and spartan facilities. They will either significantly improve it in coming years or (my hope) move to nearby BMO field where Toronto FC play - a much larger and better stadium in very way.

Good game today though. Whitehaven can be proud of their effort.

John, I rather like Lamport but there is no doubt even though TWP did spend a bit of money on it this year it certainly needs more TLC.  I think its one of the things TWP has to decide in the future, wil they and the City make a joint effort of some sort to uplift the stadium or do TWP look at moving to another.

Even the CNE attendance is not all that great this weekend.  Everyone is either out of town at the cottage, or busy getting their kids ready for the start of school on Tuesday.  My street is doing its best impression of a morgue currently, I think only 2 in 10 homes have someone home.

6100 in attendance for this weekend is pretty damn good for given its labour day weekend.

I enjoyed this on TV.   The wolf howling was eerie. 

TWP make a functional stadium come alive.

well done Haven and their player coach for a good performance.  It must be a tough journey for them.   

1 minute ago, Michael1812 said:

Also, Lamport is a dump but what rugby league ground isn't? Hull?

Hull

Wigan

Warrington

Leeds

Salford

St Helens

Leigh

Widnes

Huddersfield

Catalans.

In SL the facilities are generally very good and have improced out of sight.

Only Cas and Wakey are still looking to sort out a better ground out of the 12.

I didn't see last nights game but I watched the Newcastle game the previous week and it looked pretty full to me - in both stands. North American stadiums do not routinely have roofs (see probably 50% of NFL stadiums) Lamport is no worse than the majority of NL1 and championship grounds, and to be disappointed with a 6,100 crowd in the first season of their existence seems like they aren't doing a lot wrong to me. As for fans enjoying the beer tents....well I'll give you two options; I'll offer you an average attendance of 6500 where at any given time 2000 are in the beer tents (bringing in much needed revenue for the club) or you can have an average of 800 with everyone glued to the action on the pitch.....I know which one I'd  chose. 

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

People outside of the M62 enjoying RL shocker! Some even scoffing at all the freebies on offer to actually buy 2018 season tickets.

They're just happy to be able to travel to Manchester ten times next year ;-)

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 minute ago, latchford albion said:

They're just happy to be able to travel to Manchester ten times next year ;-)

Looking at last night's game, even a few jam eaters (?) managed to find their way out of the leafy backwater and into the metropolis. It was great to see and Haven did their supporters proud last night.

Archived