Benjamin Jullien wants out of Warrington?

Hvy wg

Warrington's website says he is only contracted until 30th November, so he'll be able to go without a fee.  I hope he stays but if not good luck to him he's always given his best IMO.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

He does have a lot of game time at Wire.

I'm a bit concerned if he does sign for us as I can totally see how he'd end up in the stands. On another hand I've been screaming for us to sign him for years.

He's not a SL superstar (yet?) but he's a young second rower with plenty of potential. And he hits hard.

26 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

He does have a lot of game time at Wire.

I'm a bit concerned if he does sign for us as I can totally see how he'd end up in the stands. On another hand I've been screaming for us to sign him for years.

He's not a SL superstar (yet?) but he's a young second rower with plenty of potential. And he hits hard.

His game time has been dictated by injuries to others. When Hughes, Currie & Westerman are all fit he doesn't make the side

The year he had with us on loan for development, you could see he had talent, it was a shame he went back to Wire (from our perspective, obviously). But, he's come on this year with having game time and should have a future with someone in top flight :) 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Decent solid player, if we get a fit pack he would be a bench or quad player, but a very very useful one at that. 

If he wanted to return to France I would wish him all the best, seems a good lad.

Exactly right. Seems like a great lad and he's done really well taking his opportunity for Warrington having originally come on a trial whilst not speaking any English and subsequently signing for a very low wage and living in student accommodation in the town. In a fully fit Warrington side he probably wouldn't quite make the 17 as he doesn't quite excel in any particular area (with the possible exception of some big hits in defence), however he will not let anyone down and would be a good signing for Catalans.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

His game time has been dictated by injuries to others. When Hughes, Currie & Westerman are all fit he doesn't make the side

I always find this an odd sort of argument to make. I would say: judge him on how many games is he is playing, not how many games he might have played in a host of unlikely scenarios.

As it is, he has played 21 games this season: a fair crack of the whip by any standards. He has also been very good in a poor side, and his place in the line-up relative to the other three you mention will have changed quite a bit as he has impressed.

I would always like to see the best French players at Catalans or Toulouse so, if he goes, it will be with my best wishes.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I always find this an odd sort of argument to make. I would say: judge him on how many games is he is playing, not how many games he might have played in a host of unlikely scenarios.

As it is, he has played 21 games this season: a fair crack of the whip by any standards. He has also been very good in a poor side, and his place in the line-up relative to the other three you mention will have changed quite a bit as he has impressed.

I would always like to see the best French players at Catalans or Toulouse so, if he goes, it will be with my best wishes.

It's  just how it is though. I'd like him in my team always seems to do well from what I've seen. However when the "favourites" are fit somebody has to give way and it's usually him

He may just want to go to a team where he is first choice

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

It's  just how it is though. I'd like him in my team always seems to do well from what I've seen. However when the "favourites" are fit somebody has to give way and it's usually him

He may just want to go to a team where he is first choice

But is Catalans that team? Maybe McNamara will value French players a bit more than they have been in the recent past, but maybe not.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

But is Catalans that team? Maybe McNamara will value French players a bit more than they have been in the recent past, but maybe not.

Considering he's finally decided to have Garcia starting at 13, McNamara might be.

32 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Considering he's finally decided to have Garcia starting at 13, McNamara might be.

Well, that's my hope. If Jullien has spoken to the new regime at Catalans (or people he knows who play there) and received assurances that there's going to be a cultural shift, it might be a good move for him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

This is something that irks me.  Albeit Westerman came from my club, ex England, shows promise, imo he has never quite hit the heights he should.  A hard working, grafter, is worth his weight a damn site more than a player who can be good but more often in bang average.  No way is Jullien worse than Hughes or Westerman.  On form Jullien would be the pick imo.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Hopefully the Catalans 2018 model may be very different to what we've seen this year. Perhaps McNamara is keen to bring some French players back into the squad. If that is the case it would fit for Julien to move to the Dragons.

If your speculation about the managerial attitude at Catalans is correct, Scubby, and I sincerely hope it is, I wonder whether Theo Fages will start to think about it.  Unless he was injured, he seemed to be the one required to make way for Ben Barba last week.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Hopefully the Catalans 2018 model may be very different to what we've seen this year. Perhaps McNamara is keen to bring some French players back into the squad. If that is the case it would fit for Julien to move to the Dragons.

It could be rather interesting if they reached out to some of the players the previous setup had driven away, and at least some of them came back with all the experience they've since gained with other clubs. There's a modest-sized but talented diaspora of players who could give a lot to the Dragons, if they were treated better.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

This is something that irks me.  Albeit Westerman came from my club, ex England, shows promise, imo he has never quite hit the heights he should.  A hard working, grafter, is worth his weight a damn site more than a player who can be good but more often in bang average.  No way is Jullien worse than Hughes or Westerman.  On form Jullien would be the pick imo.

Cannot agree with you on that, Westerman has always played well for the Wire and Hughes is a player who can reach levels Jullien can't. He has always given his best and is a decent squad player but not at the level being put on this topic. I will be sad to see him go because of the effort he always gave. 

53 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Totally agree. Just going from Smith's team selections over past couple of seasons 

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Cannot agree with you on that, Westerman has always played well for the Wire and Hughes is a player who can reach levels Jullien can't. He has always given his best and is a decent squad player but not at the level being put on this topic. I will be sad to see him go because of the effort he always gave. 

Im with you here. If the three are at their best, Jullien is some way behind both of them imho, although he may keep improving.

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I've seen quite a bit of him, but will bow to wire fans appreciation, but from what I've seen, value for money hasn't come from Westerman.  Realistically, Westerman has ability to be an England, nailed on back rower.  He isn't.  Hughes is having a better season, but for getting the team forward, Julliens done well, if not better.  I'd have him over those two anyway.  But that's me.  I picked grafters and team players rather than superstars.

cats might try and drag French players back, but imo they need a couple of young Aussie forwards.  Hitters, tackle machines.  Birdys salary is limiting that.

18 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I've seen quite a bit of him, but will bow to wire fans appreciation, but from what I've seen, value for money hasn't come from Westerman.  Realistically, Westerman has ability to be an England, nailed on back rower.  He isn't.  Hughes is having a better season, but for getting the team forward, Julliens done well, if not better.  I'd have him over those two anyway.  But that's me.  I picked grafters and team players rather than superstars.

cats might try and drag French players back, but imo they need a couple of young Aussie forwards.  Hitters, tackle machines.  Birdys salary is limiting that.

I think ideally there is a place for both, but Westerman and Hughes both deliver plenty of work and a bit more skill and class. Thats not a criticism of Jullien, as per this thread I dont think anybody will say a bad word about him.

Archived