Swinton away - - - - Sunday - - - - - Sale

clifford

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, OLD YED said:

agreed.

bring back traditional RL played in mud fog snow ice the lot.

Not this modern pansy garbage

And the massive crowds, don't forget them.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For me the whole Sky- SuperLeague - Summer Rugby move has been a failure.

Yup those millions of £ stopping the whole game going bankrupt was a total failure.  

Without Sky the game would of died a decade ago.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yup those millions of £ stopping the whole game going bankrupt was a total failure.  

Without Sky the game would of died a decade ago.

It's dieing now at our level. Between the three of Oldham, Hornets and Swinton we'll be lucky to get 1,500 regular fans. What good did the SKY money do our clubs ? Not one of the three has it's own ground. They'll all living on a knife edge financially. Speaking purely regarding Hornets, but I suppose it applies to other clubs, the SKY money was just squandered on inflated players wages. 

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, clifford said:

I've been thinking since Sunday, and after speaking to r34 that the rugby league doesn't want the likes of us Swinton Batley Rochdale they want Liverpool Manchester Birmingham new York etc. I have to agree that world rugby league is coming. 

Or even joining up with the union chaps

Yes I would agree with that - I think ideally the RFL want the Australian model of an elite league with all other clubs being nothing more that feeder clubs with no ambition beyond that.  There is little or no coverage of Championship rugby ( or Championship 1) in the press and media, ok Radio Leeds is the exception, Radio Manchester stopped covering Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale years ago and as we all know TV coverage is all about SL. So smaller clubs become totally dependant on their share of Sky money, as the clubs find it increasingly difficult to publicise there existence beyond an ever diminishing band of supporters. What really gets under my skin is that last Sunday's match for Oldham and Swinton at least was a really important match, over 1000 spectators came to what - which in itself was great - but not even a ripple of interest shown by RFL or Sky or the local media.........so its a self fulfilling prophecy, the smaller clubs get smaller and smaller as the gap widens between SL and the rest - thus heralding a new age of "world rugby league".

Of course the one think the RFL have forgotten is that rugby league is the main sport in Australia and as such gets lots of attention and generates lots of money.........where here rugby league has been ( and continues to be) the poor relation the union - but that's another topic.

I do wish Oldham all the very best.

Just now, wayne_r said:

Yes I would agree with that - I think ideally the RFL want the Australian model of an elite league with all other clubs being nothing more that feeder clubs with no ambition beyond that.  There is little or no coverage of Championship rugby ( or Championship 1) in the press and media, ok Radio Leeds is the exception, Radio Manchester stopped covering Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale years ago and as we all know TV coverage is all about SL. So smaller clubs become totally dependant on their share of Sky money, as the clubs find it increasingly difficult to publicise there existence beyond an ever diminishing band of supporters. What really gets under my skin is that last Sunday's match for Oldham and Swinton at least was a really important match, over 1000 spectators came to what - which in itself was great - but not even a ripple of interest shown by RFL or Sky or the local media.........so its a self fulfilling prophecy, the smaller clubs get smaller and smaller as the gap widens between SL and the rest - thus heralding a new age of "world rugby league".

Of course the one think the RFL have forgotten is that rugby league is the main sport in Australia and as such gets lots of attention and generates lots of money.........where here rugby league has been ( and continues to be) the poor relation the union - but that's another topic.

I do wish Oldham all the very best.

I put GMR on last Sunday afternoon expecting some sort of commentary on the Swinton v Oldham game. After all it was a pretty important game. Silly me, just a pop music show with a couple of " latest scores " given out about 15 minutes after the event.

Rugby league wise,I'm fearful as to what the future holds.Warrington head coach Tony Smith mentioned this on the BBC website. It's obviously not just in the lower league communities that people are realizing that interest in the game is on the slide.Why this is occurring baffles me,it's not as expensive a game to watch as some.You could probably buy 3or4 season tickets in superleague comparing it with soccer's premiership.To get in at Latics it can cost 20 odd quid,at the rugby it's 15.Adding this up over a season soccer is a dear do.Something needs to be done NOW.Surely to God that RFL haven't buried their heads in the sand so deep they can't see sod all.

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's dieing now at our level. Between the three of Oldham, Hornets and Swinton we'll be lucky to get 1,500 regular fans. What good did the SKY money do our clubs ? Not one of the three has it's own ground. They'll all living on a knife edge financially. Speaking purely regarding Hornets, but I suppose it applies to other clubs, the SKY money was just squandered on inflated players wages. 

And backhanders....£4.8million of the new TV deal was given to SL clubs just for agreeing to it...

The sport is dying...not because of summer rugby,sky,radio Manchester not covering game etc..it's dying because the RFL doesn't distribute TV money in a fair manner that benefits the whole of the sport...plain and simple...

All in the TV deals are worth £40m per season,for 5 years..

If it was split as such

12 SL x £2m =£24m
12 champ x £500k =£6m
16 league 1 x £250k = £4m = £34m

Leaves £6m for RFL per season to fund it's operations..

Then the whole sport would flourish imo!

But sadly it's not done like that...and that's why the sport is dying

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

6 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

And backhanders....£4.8million of the new TV deal was given to SL clubs just for agreeing to it...

The sport is dying...not because of summer rugby,sky,radio Manchester not covering game etc..it's dying because the RFL doesn't distribute TV money in a fair manner that benefits the whole of the sport...plain and simple...

All in the TV deals are worth £40m per season,for 5 years..

If it was split as such

12 SL x £2m =£24m
12 champ x £500k =£6m
16 league 1 x £250k = £4m = £34m

Leaves £6m for RFL per season to fund it's operations..

Then the whole sport would flourish imo!

But sadly it's not done like that...and that's why the sport is dying

How does redistribution make the game flourish?

What if the Sky money dries up, as some seem to wish?

It is OK looking back and saying "if only" but that really is cloud cuckoo land. I am old enough to have enjoyed the pleasures of RL pre-Sky when every player was part-time, you could shout down the pit for a new prop forward, when they made proper beer and we all had fun with rickets. We also had a sport that was on its knees, attracting 4000 for international matches - this was not a time of milk and honey from which we were cruelly snatched. Time has moved on and RL has been left behind.

Some blame must be attributed to the RFL but most of the blame should be directed at the clubs; they, after all are the ones who can tell the RFL what they can and cannot do. They have had the majority of the cash and wasted evey penny and more on chasing short-term success with no time for the development of a vision for the game. In the meantime RU (with plenty of help, admittedly) have got on with promoting the attractiveness of their sport and making their big games somewhere that people want to be associated wirh. This takes a long-term consistent strategy that isn't derailed whenever an individual club chairman doesn't like it.

If our sport dies, which it might well do, then there is no point in the smaller clubs (I have supported one for many years) complaining that it is everyone else's fault; it isn't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I have mailed several times that Red Hall hasn't invested in junior and grassroots RL. They are totally bewitched by sooperdooper league and that is also failing to attract numbers.

The impetus must be bringing the youth into our great game. At one time all of the junior schools and secondary schools played RL. that is no longer the case. Red Hall decided open age RL is to switch to summer. Why? There is far too much going on in summer so the pressure is on the clubs to get a team out.

A comment I have also made is that our game is now a game watched by the older generation with few young faces in the crowd again something must urgently address.

I still advocate a breakaway from the catastrophic Red Hall and so develop our own game so leaving sooperdooper league to the whims of Sky.  

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

How does redistribution make the game flourish?

What if the Sky money dries up, as some seem to wish?

It is OK looking back and saying "if only" but that really is cloud cuckoo land. I am old enough to have enjoyed the pleasures of RL pre-Sky when every player was part-time, you could shout down the pit for a new prop forward, when they made proper beer and we all had fun with rickets. We also had a sport that was on its knees, attracting 4000 for international matches - this was not a time of milk and honey from which we were cruelly snatched. Time has moved on and RL has been left behind.

Some blame must be attributed to the RFL but most of the blame should be directed at the clubs; they, after all are the ones who can tell the RFL what they can and cannot do. They have had the majority of the cash and wasted evey penny and more on chasing short-term success with no time for the development of a vision for the game. In the meantime RU (with plenty of help, admittedly) have got on with promoting the attractiveness of their sport and making their big games somewhere that people want to be associated wirh. This takes a long-term consistent strategy that isn't derailed whenever an individual club chairman doesn't like it.

If our sport dies, which it might well do, then there is no point in the smaller clubs (I have supported one for many years) complaining that it is everyone else's fault; it isn't.

Agree 100%

No one is saying the game is currently flourishing, but the idea that Sky is to blame and we'd be great without them is just bonkers.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, jroyales said:

Sky is not to blame. Without them RL would be like the DoDo dead and gone.

It's the RL who are to blame and their total poor management.

Broadly I agree jr but the RFL are totally controlled by the SL clubs. The constitution does not permit them to act in any way without the say so of the clubs. Blaming the RFL is a convenient smokescreen for the selfishness and lack of vision of SL chairmen.

We'd money coming out of our ears when we sold the old Athletic Grounds to Morrisons. Spent wisely we should have been set up for life financially. As it was the money was squandered on costly signings in a forlorn hope of staying at the top table and we are where we are now.

Just giving the board of directors lots of money isn't the answer as we've proved.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We'd money coming out of our ears when we sold the old Athletic Grounds to Morrisons. Spent wisely we should have been set up for life financially. As it was the money was squandered on costly signings in a forlorn hope of staying at the top table and we are where we are now.

Just giving the board of directors lots of money isn't the answer as we've proved.

Exactly. If I had the money there 2 things that would be priority,  1) a stadium,  one that cannot be used to speculate and borrow money against, a permanent home answer 2) local amateur set up. It's a numbers game, the more you have coming through the bottom , the more you have at the top. Yes I know the bigger clubs will cherry pick but we'll never be a big club without home grown talent.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't just mean giving money is the answer,I've said many a time on many message boards,i forget not everyone might see it lol, that "TV grants" should be tied to development/reserves

And by that I mean....take SL...all the salary cap is covered by the TV money and they are allowed 2 marquee players...yet they can't afford reserves?? Nah lol

And so,if you go off my TV money split,if championship clubs get £500k a year then a minimum of £75k must be spent of development/reserves...likewise a percentaged of the league 1 money must be spent on development/reserves..

And that's how the sport could flourish..cos without junior development we will,as a sport,die a slow death

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Archived