Doncaster Toll Bar

46 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Congratulations to Doncaster Toll Bar on their last minute bid to re-join the Pennine league, not sure which division yet.

Hopefully they can rise again and get back where they were

Note no comment from the RFL on the state of the game, be interesting if Phil Hodgson from RLE does what he says as he has apparently monitored all the results from this seasons games I guess 25-30% were postponed or did not take place

PP happened In the traditional season but don't forget switch to summer and increase "Participation, Revenue, Teams, less postponements"

7 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Hopefully they can rise again and get back where they were

Note no comment from the RFL on the state of the game, be interesting if Phil Hodgson from RLE does what he says as he has apparently monitored all the results from this seasons games I guess 25-30% were postponed or did not take place

PP happened In the traditional season but don't forget switch to summer and increase "Participation, Revenue, Teams, less postponements"

I don't give two hoots what they say, yes games failed to be played in the traditional season but it was never as bad as it is now in the summer in the top divisions.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

8 hours ago, henage said:

Would make an interesting read , trouble is the games problems are many and just using % for games not been played would not help the game .

Sorry to keep saying but the whole point of the switch was to improve all that was declining in the traditional season, nothing has improved, participation, standards, postponements, revenue, spectators, new teams (seem some new names to me in Pennine) sorry we cannot keep burying our heads in the sand, are you reading RFL?

The NWC fully embraced the switch and have possibly had their worse season in terms of matches taking place, this on the back of a massive decline in the U16-17-18 teams throughout the game

12 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Sorry to keep saying but the whole point of the switch was to improve all that was declining in the traditional season, nothing has improved, participation, standards, postponements, revenue, spectators, new teams (seem some new names to me in Pennine) sorry we cannot keep burying our heads in the sand, are you reading RFL?

The NWC fully embraced the switch and have possibly had their worse season in terms of matches taking place, this on the back of a massive decline in the U16-17-18 teams throughout the game

The Toll Bar president told me Wednesday night that their bar taking where down around £5,000.00 when matched with what was being taken in a winter season, he said no one stops after a game including his own players.

It is clearly a good thing that a winter league should survive for those clubs which find the winter season suits them.  Toll Bar and Moorends are teams that have tried Summer rugby and find that Winter rugby suits them much better.

However, to extrapolate that into claims that everything was great in the last years of all-winter rugby or that the amateur game would boom if it returned to the winter season are nonsense.

The job of the governing bodies should be to encourage teams to play rugby league in whatever ways are most suitable to them - jamming clubs into a one size suits all structure isn't working.  The world has moved on and real participation rates are falling in all the main sports.  Halting that is very difficult - encouraging it by forcing teams to play seasons they don't want is suicidal. 

I do agree but while the RFL promote the summer game over the traditional season it's hard work for both

You are right everything was not right with the game but whilst everything appears rosy as seems the case within the RFL world nothing will change, we have a few keyboard warriors who still think a big mistake was made including my self, as everything that we were TOLD has not materialised. 

Again there is a decline on people taking part in sport, but some sports have done well, Netball, Hockey, women's sport in general including RU and Football let's take a leaf out of the sports that ARE doing well rather than the defeatist attitude that everything is bad. The RFL are scrambling for every person on their participation figures by aligning themselves with TAG and Wheelchair which IMO was done by RU in the main, they count registration rather than people playing one team I know has 54 players registered but still struggles to put out 17 and sometimes may as well. It bother with training. 

Having 2 seasons could actually be a problem with commitment as the players can play all year round when it suits them

Defender I was having a little think the other day while going through the players registered with Moorends, back in the day clubs could only register 25 players, today under the RFL this number is limitless and like you say most clubs will have around 40 to 50 players on their books including us, could this be a problem with the decline in the number of teams/clubs playing today along with all the red tape you have to go through to run a club - IMO the RFL have forgotten that 80% of amateurs are playing/involved for enjoyment.

To be fair in Hull up to last year you could sign 30 in your A team and 25 in your second team as we were running 2 teams. You had to register any new or transfers and the other team had to sign the transfer form which was not easy by  9.00 on the Thursday so if you had 30 you had to de-register players. We could only play 3 from our conference team at any time and they could not play for the Academy as it was run as. Once you had played 6 games we could only drop 3 from the A team to the Academy, the whole thing was a nightmare as you know trying to confirm a team on a Thursday is near impossible.

Our secretary fell out with the league so we have no winter team this year which is a shame, and the Hull league have now adopted the RFL system which IMO is easier as I was the registration secretary.

There could be 11 teams in the Hull league  which is better than I thought but as everything else less than it used to be.

• 1 month later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:21 AM, RugbyLad said:

Big fish little pond springs to mind. 

Same fish ended up 2nd in the YML Premier and won some kind of premier cup, they have replaced the Moorends lads with their own who didn't want to play in the summer and ex-Doncaster RLFC players, they're a lot better side than their last season in the summer.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, RugbyLad said:

And as soon as they stopped winning they folded and dropped out like they’ve been doing as long as I can remember. 

What actually happened was the lads from Moorends had the summer off to concentrate on playing the following winter with Moorends, a couple of their players from the season before went to play at Hemel, Pete Green went back to Doncaster and Craig Lawton retired because of injury, they lost a lot of good players all at once, this left them down to the bare bones, since moving back to winter they've got a lot of players back who didn't want summer rugby including 6 who had come down to play for us but went back as soon as they announced they where going to play in the winter.

if anything has come of this is the fact you can't build a team from poaching and expect it to last

Why do we not have leagues running summer & winter leagues? If NWML & YML ran both surely all could play who wanted to, also players who prefer summer could help out occasionally in opposite season & vice versa. One registration for both seasons. Better than summer OR winter.

19 hours ago, kev p said:

Why do we not have leagues running summer & winter leagues? If NWML & YML ran both surely all could play who wanted to, also players who prefer summer could help out occasionally in opposite season & vice versa. One registration for both seasons. Better than summer OR winter.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, DoubleD said:

They’ll be back in summer soon enough 

Can't see it, the back bone of their side are the guys who stopped away because they didn't want summer rugby and last season in the winter they fulfilled or I should say they where fulfilling their fixtures until the committee withdrew them to concentrate on the summer which proved to be their worst move, before they first went to summer they had two open age and U18's like most NCL side

Archived