How do I get FreeSports?

I've tuned my Freeview TV a number of times and cant get the channel. Apparently I need to get some kind of device which will give me Freeview HD, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this? 

(FYI - I know you can get it on Sky but have no intention of doing so) 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although FreeSports is broadcast in standard definition, the channel is hosted on a frequency block that is only available to TVs or set-top boxes that receive HD FreeView.

So, depending on your budget, either a set-top box or a TV that'll receive HD directly.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/support/before-you-buy/getting-freeview-hd/how-do-i-get-freeview-hd.html 

The other extra channel I have been enjoying since my HD upgrade, apart from Freesports, is Talking Pictures TV, which is currently running a Laurel & Hardy movie at 6pm every day. :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was looking at getting a HD box, but as my old TV was already playing up a little, I bought a HD TV for about £250, which also connects to the internet (for YouTube, NetFlix, FreePlay etc., plus an internet browser) and will also play media files from my laptop's attached hard drives. Oh, and it'll record to an external USB hard drive, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Bod said:

Talking Pictures is the best channel on Sky/Freeview. I've heard it's run on a shoestring by three people.

I'm really just discovering the channel and they pick some interesting films, maybe out of financial necessity, but it works anyway. And the daily Laurel & Hardy movies are a delight.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 08/09/2017 at 1:56 PM, Bod said:

Talking Pictures is the best channel on Sky/Freeview. I've heard it's run on a shoestring by three people.

You are quite right, it is

Figures have gone up to 325,000 (more in most cases than Sky's film channels)

Considering it started off with 15,000 it's done very well

It's running the popular ABC series, "The Human Jungle" from 1963 as from next month. (this weekend ITV station for the whole of the north and midlands used to carry a live 2nd half of a RL match on a Saturday afternoon at that time too !)

I'm sure Freesports have seen this - there's a lot of people who have cancelled Sky, and use their Sky box for the FTA stuff.

17 minutes ago, Womer said:

I'm sure Freesports have seen this - there's a lot of people who have cancelled Sky, and use their Sky box for the FTA stuff.

Good job most of you are here my advice to the OP was going to be "Have you tried turning your telly on?"

I'll look into Talking Pictures now so thanks for that!

I was going to start a thread about Freesports called "More Sky than Sky!" What struck me was how much like the Sky of the early days it is, before it lost it's way and started  well looking almost as tired as Aunty but not quite as far down the rabbit hole as ITV.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Another option and one that would also give some flexibility for some subscriptions if wanted is a Now TV Smart box. You can get one for about £40 with deals for Films/Sport etc. 

Set mine up this week having had similar problem with now able to access on normal Freeview.

I think I'll go for that option. 

Final post on this subject ...if you live in Oldham ( and also other areas of the country using certain other Transmitters ) and receive your pictures from the Saddlewoth Transmitter YOU will not be receiving ANY  broadcasting of Freesports. I called Freeview up today and they told me that the "Broadcaster" has deceided NOT to utilise ( pay for the use of ) certain Transmitters throught the UK. So if you live in one of these BLACK Spot areas you cant and will never be able to receive "Freesports TV" . So before you spend a few hundred quid on a new TV, Ariel, set top box etc etc check with a call to Freeview to ask if Channel 95 is being broadcast from your Transmitter. . . . as it isnt from my local Transnmitter ; Saddleworth ( although if you live on the other side of the valley and get your pictures from Winter Hill you WILL get channel 95 ) to find out for sure if youyr area is covered call Freeview on 03456 505050 as i did

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

1 hour ago, Roughyedz said:

Final post on this subject ...if you live in Oldham ( and also other areas of the country using certain other Transmitters ) and receive your pictures from the Saddlewoth Transmitter YOU will not be receiving ANY  broadcasting of Freesports. I called Freeview up today and they told me that the "Broadcaster" has deceided NOT to utilise ( pay for the use of ) certain Transmitters throught the UK. So if you live in one of these BLACK Spot areas you cant and will never be able to receive "Freesports TV" . So before you spend a few hundred quid on a new TV, Ariel, set top box etc etc check with a call to Freeview to ask if Channel 95 is being broadcast from your Transmitter. . . . as it isnt from my local Transnmitter ; Saddleworth ( although if you live on the other side of the valley and get your pictures from Winter Hill you WILL get channel 95 ) to find out for sure if youyr area is covered call Freeview on 03456 505050 as i did

Tough luck, mate.   Must be annoying.

9 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Another option and one that would also give some flexibility for some subscriptions if wanted is a Now TV Smart box. You can get one for about £40 with deals for Films/Sport etc. 

Set mine up this week having had similar problem with now able to access on normal Freeview.

Can you get Freesports (and Talking Pictures) on a Now box? Apart from terrestrial catch up channels I thought it only allowed access to Sky's entertainment, sport and movies packages with subscription.

22 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Can you get Freesports (and Talking Pictures) on a Now box? Apart from terrestrial catch up channels I thought it only allowed access to Sky's entertainment, sport and movies packages with subscription.

Highlighted for dramatic effect - but Freesports is a free channel on freeview. The hint is in the use of word free. ? But ignoring my sarky response. The terrestrial channels are all the digital ones you get normally on HD as long as you can plug in an aerial.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

41 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Highlighted for dramatic effect - but Freesports is a free channel on freeview. The hint is in the use of word free. ? But ignoring my sarky response. The terrestrial channels are all the digital ones you get normally on HD as long as you can plug in an aerial.

You've missed my point entirely, although I now see that they've brought out a 'new' box with freeview built in which answers my question

3 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Pity they dont have tv schedule available for the channel.

I think thats important

If you create a (free) account on the http://www.radiotimes.com site, Freesports is a channel you can add to your selection. After you've finished deleting all the home shopping/fundamentalist Christian/reality show channels to give you a more manageable view, that is.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived