How do I get FreeSports?

Just now, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Cheers

With the number of channels, even on FreeView, proliferating, this is very much worth doing. Take the time to add/delete channels, and also move favourites (like Freesports) towards the top of the list, and you'll have a good digest of what's on. You can get rid of the +1 channel listings, for a start, which simplifies the view.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

With the number of channels, even on FreeView, proliferating, this is very much worth doing. Take the time to add/delete channels, and also move favourites (like Freesports) towards the top of the list, and you'll have a good digest of what's on. You can get rid of the +1 channel listings, for a start, which simplifies the view.

Worked a treat.

Might have missed professional bull riding!

Cheers

Need some help fellas, I don't have freeview or an aerial available in my gaff. They don't appear to have an online player and I have no intention of paying any money buying some sort of Freeview equivalent that uses the interwebitude. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

Need some help fellas, I don't have freeview or an aerial available in my gaff. They don't appear to have an online player and I have no intention of paying any money buying some sort of Freeview equivalent that uses the interwebitude. Any ideas?

If you don't have a TV set capable of receiving TV broadcasts, you are basically up the creek with a blank screen for a paddle.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you don't have a TV set capable of receiving TV broadcasts, you are basically up the creek with a blank screen for a paddle.

I use my Ps3 as a kind of smart TV with all the apps of the main channels, netflix, Now TV etc, I live in a ropey block of flats run by a cheapskate letting agents so chances of aerial access is slim. Also my TV is standard Freeview even if i can, not freeview HD.

6 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

I use my Ps3 as a kind of smart TV with all the apps of the main channels, netflix, Now TV etc, I live in a ropey block of flats run by a cheapskate letting agents so chances of aerial access is slim. Also my TV is standard Freeview even if i can, not freeview HD.

Right, so you do have FreeView after all. What you'll need for Freesports is a set-top box that does FreeView HD. Go back a few posts and someone posted that they'd bought something that does the job for about £20.

If you can't receive broadcasts normally, maybe an indoor aerial with a built-in amplifier will do the trick. I live in a terrible area for reception, and got by with one of those 'til my landlord installed a proper roof aerial.

If that won't do the job, then you really have no recourse, other than a paid premier Sports online subsciption or dodgy feeds from illegal sources.

Look at the back of your TV and see what input sockets you have. If you have a HDMI socket like the one pictured below, that's your ideal option to connect a HD box.

159314.jpeg

If you don't, you will almost certainly have some external input option, even if it is just SCART.

scart_socket.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Right, so you do have FreeView after all. What you'll need for Freesports is a set-top box that does FreeView HD. Go back a few posts and someone posted that they'd bought something that does the job for about £20.

Look at the back of your TV and see what input sockets you have. If you have a HDMI socket like the one pictured below, that's your ideal option to connect a HD box.

159314.jpeg

If you don't, you will almost certainly have some external input option, even if it is just SCART.

scart_socket.jpg

I have freeview built into my TV so I'm not going to be spending £20 on a HD version of the same thing I already have just for one channel, I'm aware of sockets and leads I need I was asking about if there were options for just watching via the internet only

7 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

I have freeview built into my TV so I'm not going to be spending £20 on a HD version of the same thing I already have just for one channel, I'm aware of sockets and leads I need I was asking about if there were options for just watching via the internet only

Okay, I misunderstood your original post. There is no current equivalent of the BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub app for Freesports and, since developing such a thing would cost money, I doubt Premier will introduce such a thing any time soon.

The HD upgrade - a one-off outlay - does enhance the viewing experience of mainstream channels too. Although I'm watching the darts right now on the BBC, and high-def reproduction of the finalists' sweaty pores is possibly not the best use of the technology!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Okay, I misunderstood your original post. There is no current equivalent of the BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub app for Freesports and, since developing such a thing would cost money, I doubt Premier will introduce such a thing any time soon.

The HD upgrade - a one-off outlay - does enhance the viewing experience of mainstream channels too. Although I'm watching the darts right now, and high-def reproduction of the finalists' sweaty pores is possibly not the best use of the technology!

That's the only reason I'm saving up for a 4K, I want to see the finer detail of the pitstains.

I guess I'll just revert to plan A and temporarily subscribe to Premier Sports until the world cup is over. Hopefully soon this freesports channel will be on regular freeview too

Just now, Forestgravy said:

That's the only reason I'm saving up for a 4K, I want to see the finer detail of the pitstains.

I guess I'll just revert to plan A and temporarily subscribe to Premier Sports until the world cup is over. Hopefully soon this freesports channel will be on regular freeview too

I doubt Freesports will be on regular FreeView, as they are hosted on a frequency block that is owned by an HD broadcaster. I'd expect they'll stay were they are, but if you really want to have a 4K TV, it'll be on there (if the channel's still going by then).

Regular HD is more than good enough for me, and I got a smart TV with HD for £250, which is pretty reasonable by current prices.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I doubt Freesports will be on regular FreeView, as they are hosted on a frequency block that is owned by an HD broadcaster. I'd expect they'll stay were they are, but if you really want to have a 4K TV, it'll be on there (if the channel's still going by then).

Regular HD is more than good enough for me, and I got a smart TV with HD for £250, which is pretty reasonable by current prices.

I have a friend with a 50 inch 4K TV with 4K blu ray player and I cannot go back, i've seen the forbidden fruit and nothing can rpevent me from attaining it.

I'm only kidding, I'm a 27 year old student with no savings who lost his job, I can barely afford food let alone a 4K HD TV, so being economical with the law is the best way for me to get any kind of access to anything beyond the most basic!

A £20 HD box will end up cheaper than a Premier Sports subscription well before the end of the World Cup, let alone the years of use beyond that.

Or you could install Mobdro on your PS3 and thumb your nose at the law. Not that I recommend such actions, of course. :unsure: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A £20 HD box will end up cheaper than a Premier Sports subscription well before the end of the World Cup, let alone the years of use beyond that.

Or you could install Mobdro on your PS3 and thumb your nose at the law. Not that I recommend such actions, of course. :unsure: 

Yeah but you get all the games on Premier, I'm desperate to watch Italy vs Fiji in front of a few thousand fans in a half empty stadium with 97% Australians playing

10 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

Yeah but you get all the games on Premier, I'm desperate to watch Italy vs Fiji in front of a few thousand fans in a half empty stadium with 97% Australians playing

Very good! :D Premier will have all the games live, but a lot of them will be at ungodly hours of the morning. If you can avoid online spoilers, FreeSports will re-broadcast most or all of those matches at a more civilised (i.e. un-Australian) time of day.

If you want to be in the moment for the RWC, get a Premier Sports subscription, a loud alarm clock and plenty of strong coffee. If Freesports survives (and previous FTA sports channels haven't had a great record for longevity), a HD box will be more economical, unless another broadcaster comes in for NRL rights. That latter point doesn't seem to have been decided yet.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Very good! :D Premier will have all the games live, but a lot of them will be at ungodly hours of the morning. If you can avoid online spoilers, FreeSports will re-broadcast most or all of those matches at a more civilised (i.e. un-Australian) time of day.

If you want to be in the moment for the RWC, get a Premier Sports subscription, a loud alarm clock and plenty of strong coffee. If Freesports survives (and previous FTA sports channels haven't had a great record for longevity), a HD box will be more economical, unless another broadcaster comes in for NRL rights. That latter point doesn't seem to have been decided yet.

Luckily premier have the games available for a week after broadcast in the NRL so hopefully WC rights allow them to do the same, no way I'm getting up at 5am, usually that's my bed time during term time haha

11 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

Luckily premier have the games available for a week after broadcast in the NRL so hopefully WC rights allow them to do the same, no way I'm getting up at 5am, usually that's my bed time during term time haha

Now TV Smart box might be an option

Looks like you can pick up ch 95

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Smart-box-has-missing-channels/td-p/441665

Two possible things to try, including the classic "have you tried turning it off and turning it on again": https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-TV/You-view-box-won-t-record-keeps-showing-failed-recordings/td-p/1592724

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/09/2017 at 3:44 PM, Roughyedz said:

Final post on this subject ...if you live in Oldham ( and also other areas of the country using certain other Transmitters ) and receive your pictures from the Saddlewoth Transmitter YOU will not be receiving ANY  broadcasting of Freesports. I called Freeview up today and they told me that the "Broadcaster" has deceided NOT to utilise ( pay for the use of ) certain Transmitters throught the UK. So if you live in one of these BLACK Spot areas you cant and will never be able to receive "Freesports TV" . So before you spend a few hundred quid on a new TV, Ariel, set top box etc etc check with a call to Freeview to ask if Channel 95 is being broadcast from your Transmitter. . . . as it isnt from my local Transnmitter ; Saddleworth ( although if you live on the other side of the valley and get your pictures from Winter Hill you WILL get channel 95 ) to find out for sure if youyr area is covered call Freeview on 03456 505050 as i did

Struggling to get it in Littleborough - though we do live behind a big tree ;)

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

9 hours ago, Cherry and White said:

first figures in. early days, see how it goes in the future.

Data for w/c 11 September
Daily Reach: 81,000
Weekly Reach: 362,000
Overall Share of Viewing: 0.02%

Silly question of the day: what does daily/weekly reach actually mean?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Steve Fox said:

How much do these professional bulls get paid?

Too much, hence going into admin all the time

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

5 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Watch Premier Futsal India this afternoon at 3.30! A great example of how to promote a minority sport!

Got it on at the moment. 

1. A virtually empty venue, as regards spectators. I doubt it'll be anywhere near a 3-figure attendance.
2. Aged, but still (no doubt) expensive imports (i.e. Ronaldinho, Giggs). Ticket sales are not going to be paying their wages.
3. Loud, naff music that barely distracts the spectators from the screens of their smartphones.
4. Pretty basic-looking TV presentation.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived