17 Welsh juniors join superleague setups

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

5 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Wales has always been a massive producer of RL talent, from 1895 onwards. It's great to see that SL clubs have rediscovered this pool of players and that the WRL, despite limited resources, has put in place quality pathways for young players.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

This is brilliant news of course. The more Welsh players in the system the better it is for the future of our game.

I suppose the only question is that if City of Hull Academy is a combination of FC and HKR pooling resources, how is there room for 11 Welsh players within its set up?

I think the future is linking with Education institutions and encouraging Welsh, Scottish and even French talented lads to come into SL academies. 

A few points......

A Welsh academy team in the academy league is surely a must. It would help those who cannot or don't want to travel at such an age

Not taking away the great news for the Welsh lads and long may it continue, but the dearth in quality in Humberside is frightening. Given 2 SL clubs for a long period, they really don't seem to have helped engender significant interest and development in the surrounding areas, to which both clubs must take responsibility and should be looking to address. 

How big are the Badham brothers? Wow, they look like they could be the next Burgess twins!  

Lastly, good to see some development in North Wales too, although not sure why the lad has signed for Salford when they have no academy? In fact why do Salford have an U16s if they don't have an academy - what's the point?

4 hours ago, jannerboyuk said:

Clearly the game is doomed. 

Just getting that in before anyone else. ;) 

Seriously, great news!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, jannerboyuk said:

Jannerboy some of your threads have been the most positive stuff, thanks for this one as it seems a while since Salford had a new Welshman!;)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Excellent news 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Each SL club donating 5k-8k and the RFL almost sports matching would see a full Welsh academy set up. For full signings, you could then have a draft system or just let the lads pick the highest bidder. The potential down there for raw boned working class athletes is arguably as strong as the heartlands.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Each SL club donating 5k-8k and the RFL almost sports matching would see a full Welsh academy set up. For full signings, you could then have a draft system or just let the lads pick the highest bidder. The potential down there for raw boned working class athletes is arguably as strong as the heartlands.

What a great idea. I'd like to broaden your terrific idea and suggest that each super league club pays 20-25k a year into a development fund that funds academy sides from say wales, the midlands, the north east and say Liverpool etc and a NFL style draft system is introduced to distribute the top players to each super league side based on final on of season finishing.

3 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

What a great idea. I'd like to broaden your terrific idea and suggest that each super league club pays 20-25k a year into a development fund that funds academy sides from say wales, the midlands, the north east and say Liverpool etc and a NFL style draft system is introduced to distribute the top players to each super league side based on final on of season finishing.

Both of the previous comments make a lot of sense, but that is where the issue hits a speed bump............it makes far too much sense!

The talent pool in Wales just needs to be exposed to a higher level of competition and developed accordingly, if it is it will thrive, recent results at U16's level are testament to that and we are only in year 1 of a 3 year program.

Some of the strategic aims were to develop players so that they could progress into SL academies and be competitive on the International stage at age grade level against England. We laid out a 3 year program and achieved it all in year 1, so moving forward we need to continue to increase the talent pool, develop it further and retain the competitive outcomes delivered on the field.

6 minutes ago, LordCharles said:

Both of the previous comments make a lot of sense, but that is where the issue hits a speed bump............it makes far too much sense!

The talent pool in Wales just needs to be exposed to a higher level of competition and developed accordingly, if it is it will thrive, recent results at U16's level are testament to that and we are only in year 1 of a 3 year program.

Some of the strategic aims were to develop players so that they could progress into SL academies and be competitive on the International stage at age grade level against England. We laid out a 3 year program and achieved it all in year 1, so moving forward we need to continue to increase the talent pool, develop it further and retain the competitive outcomes delivered on the field.

Couldn't agree with you more on all fronts. Wales is unique as it's a rugby hotbed and the young kids today can easily interchange between union and league before going on to make a choice and fulltime career out of 1 of the 2 sports.

6 hours ago, Scubby said:

I've been thinking for a while that a potential way forward would be for the RLEF to fund a European Academy, a place for the best players outside of England and France to train and develop. Combining it with the WRL system could be a good use of funds. One site, with good facilities, well staffed, and hosting the best players from Wales, the emerging talent from Serbia and the nascent development programme in Ireland, and elsewhere as the game continues to grow. Put those lads in a solid environment, playing against the SL Academies and watch them fly. 

We have to use our (somewhat limited) resources intelligently and effectively.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Great idea .

Maybe include East Yorkshire , West Yorkshire , Cumbria etc etc

Could they try supporting local amateur leagues as well .

Hopefully someone will come along in the near future and get the game on the front foot from the smallest amateur clubs , schools RL , Uni , college, semi pro , open age , etc  . Some joined up thinking and a little money would be a massive boost to the game .

They're going to have a serious amount of travelling to do, aren't they?  Wales to Hull repeatedly sounds like a life sentence, gradually having your life sapped from you on the M62.

My nephew is really struggling with the travelling getting to and from Manchester City and he only lives 50 miles away!

'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'

A chance to see some of the stars of the future before North Wales Crusaders play Oxford RLFC in the League 1 game.

North Wales Origin will play South Wales Select (Dragonhearts possibles) at 12:30 at Queensway Stadium on 17th September. 

Croeso cynes i pawb.

On 9 September 2017 at 3:46 PM, nadera78 said:

I've been thinking for a while that a potential way forward would be for the RLEF to fund a European Academy, a place for the best players outside of England and France to train and develop. Combining it with the WRL system could be a good use of funds. One site, with good facilities, well staffed, and hosting the best players from Wales, the emerging talent from Serbia and the nascent development programme in Ireland, and elsewhere as the game continues to grow. Put those lads in a solid environment, playing against the SL Academies and watch them fly. 

We have to use our (somewhat limited) resources intelligently and effectively.

Now a European academy with a draft system is a SUPERB idea, and one that could yield instant results as well as helping to grow the game amongst all the the "development" countries. 

On 08/09/2017 at 7:39 PM, Scubby said:

This is brilliant news of course. The more Welsh players in the system the better it is for the future of our game.

I suppose the only question is that if City of Hull Academy is a combination of FC and HKR pooling resources, how is there room for 11 Welsh players within its set up?

I think the future is linking with Education institutions and encouraging Welsh, Scottish and even French talented lads to come into SL academies. 

We'll find room don't worry about that.  The players are linked to the relevant club and have training facilities and a College in a beautiful location. 

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

We'll find room don't worry about that.  The players are linked to the relevant club and have training facilities and a College in a beautiful location. 

I suppose there is nothing stopping city of hull academy running two teams if they wish?

Archived