2018 Season In's/Out's

NickWeaver

Bringing outside players in to represent a team/city never works, just look at the Indian Premier League. Some of those franchises are only worth $US100 million and you could pick up one of the unsuccessful ones for about $US40 million. A lot of the games only get 60,000 fans and last season the IPL only averaged 25,000 fans per match. Pepsi snapped up a 5-year sponsorship deal for a piddling $US 71 million.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any hobbies or perhaps start the Christmas shopping early

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

3 hours ago, 9' oller said:

Do you have any hobbies or perhaps start the Christmas shopping early

So in summary you came onto this thread complaining about Toronto Wolfpack not being the Canada national team, were informed that they are a club team and not an international team and so are free to sign whoever they want, and are now unhappy about that for some reason? What point are you trying to make here?

I am thinking it best to ignore the individual who seems to have some agenda or issues that I suspect no matter what said or facts brought forward will not sway opinion.  Its a bit like talking to a Trump supporter, fact and logic have no place in the discussion.

So moving to the topic at hand, I am thinking that TWP will still try to find at least 3 more bodies, assuming they have the salary cap room.  I believe they do as they carried a small roster this year.  The current cap is 1.8 million pounds, which works out to about 2.4+ USD.   That would allow 24 players at $100K USD each, and i doubt most of the players were earning anywhere near that.  I suspect that they probably had $800K-$1mm cap room when they started shopping.

I will say I find the salary cap extraordinarily low, although of course I understand its purpose is to make certain the few clubs capable of shelling out more don't steamroll the majority who cannot.  But for a large roster it really is an outdated amount - especially when the NRL cap is about 10MM USD for a team.

So if they want to hunt down at least 3 more new competent signings, who might be potential targets?

BTW is Tom Armstrong actually confirmed?

Looking around some of the off contract folks I think David Bhana might be worth a punt at loose forward.  Got a horrifically bad knee injury early this year and didn't get another contract for 2018 so might be looking for a way back, he is still young enough to do it if he has the hunger.

Played well in NRL reserve grade so could make an impact in the Championship if fit.  If anyone has more info past what can be gleaned on the net that would be great.

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Bringing outside players in to represent a team/city never works, just look at the Indian Premier League. Some of those franchises are only worth $US100 million and you could pick up one of the unsuccessful ones for about $US40 million. A lot of the games only get 60,000 fans and last season the IPL only averaged 25,000 fans per match. Pepsi snapped up a 5-year sponsorship deal for a piddling $US 71 million.

I like that a non North American is telling North Americans how they feel about their teams not being built from local lads even though we're telling you IT’S NOT A BIG DEAL HERE!! Canada is 6 time the size of your country and have what, 1/8 of the population (note I didn’t bother goggling any of this), and for a sport that realistically only just began in Canada this year where do you expect us to get players from?

Fun fact we are in the English league so if there was a quota for local players we would have more than enough English blokes to meet it  :clapping:

16 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

one thing I seriously do not understand is why , if it isnt the Canada team and has no Canadians in it as it is the Toronto team  ,  do they play the National Anthem before every home game ? this puzzles many in England .

In NA they usually play the national anthem at all the sporting events. if there are teams from different countries then they play both anthems. Both Rhys Jack and Tom Dempsey are heritage Canadian players and play for the national team and we have our born and bread Quinn Nagwati too. If you listen to the latest Wolfinaround podcast Rhys Jacks is on there and talks about the anthem a little bit.

This Saturday there is a Colonial Cup RL game between the US and Canada, if any of the Canadians or US players aren't selected for TWP they will likely play for their countries.

Just read this line in the Herald

"Rowley estimates he will need eight or nine more players next season in the Championship, where fully pro teams will be the norm. Work on adding to the roster has been going on for months."

4-5 more signings coming hopefully!!!

Wolfpacks on fire!!!!!!

Your defense is terrified!!!!

http://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/national-sports/2017/09/13/toronto-wolfpack-beef-up-for-next-season-in-englands-championship/

what the hell does it matter where the players are from?..half the darn NHL players now are former soviet republic escapees, large number of MLB players are Cuban or Dom rep...we just love our damn team and bringing in a little bit of the UK  in the form of the storied RL teams to Lamport on a regular basis suits me to a tee. anyone who doesn't like it can B****R off!

25 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

what the hell does it matter where the players are from?..half the darn NHL players now are former soviet republic escapees, large number of MLB players are Cuban or Dom rep...we just love our damn team and bringing in a little bit of the UK  in the form of the storied RL teams to Lamport on a regular basis suits me to a tee. anyone who doesn't like it can B****R off!

I thinks this has to be a mentality from the old days when it was all local lads playing against other local city/county teams. Don't know of any professional sport that has all local players in the league teams. A few teams in Spain have all/most local players but that's because they are Catalan or Basque and there are some political motives there.

There is a reason that we have both club and national teams.

We would like welcome you with open arms to the 21st century. Please be warned there are hipsters now.

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

I thinks this has to be a mentality from the old days when it was all local lads playing against other local city/county teams. Don't know of any professional sport that has all local players in the league teams. A few teams in Spain have all/most local players but that's because they are Catalan or Basque and there are some political motives there.

There is a reason that we have both club and national teams.

We would like welcome you with open arms to the 21st century. Please be warned there are hipsters now.

No, it's a mentality of a small proportion of miserable English fans from small backwoods places who are desperate to find some sort of stick to bash the Wolfpack with because they are jealous of the fact that their own clubs have achieved nothing in over 100 years and have already been surpassed by a one-year-old startup. You will probably find a lot more of this now you're in the Championship, that's where most of the old-head fans with delusions of grandeur and a false sense of entitlement are, once you start to threaten "real" clubs then expect plenty more people asking why there are no Canadians in the team (even though there are) and accusing you of breaking the salary cap or being a "team full of mercenaries" or some other BS.

15 hours ago, CanaBull said:

@Anonymouse it's just the thing over here with pro sports; hockey, baseball, basketball, football etc.

Just one of those differences to accept.

Regarding Anthems playing.  Quite a few of the visiting team's supporters who came over to support their team have expressed to me their very pleasant surprise that we do Anthems here.  Some said they'd like to see that done in the United Kingdom.  Side issue - since 1952, why is it not called the United Queendom?

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Regarding Anthems playing.  Quite a few of the visiting team's supporters who came over to support their team have expressed to me their very pleasant surprise that we do Anthems here.  Some said they'd like to see that done in the United Kingdom.  Side issue - since 1952, why is it not called the United Queendom?

Why is the road at the end of Lamport stadium not called Queen Street?

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Costs too much to change the stationery ;)

Archived