2018 Season In's/Out's

NickWeaver

15 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

No, it's a mentality of a small proportion of miserable English fans from small backwoods places who are desperate to find some sort of stick to bash the Wolfpack with because they are jealous of the fact that their own clubs have achieved nothing in over 100 years and have already been surpassed by a one-year-old startup. You will probably find a lot more of this now you're in the Championship, that's where most of the old-head fans with delusions of grandeur and a false sense of entitlement are, once you start to threaten "real" clubs then expect plenty more people asking why there are no Canadians in the team (even though there are) and accusing you of breaking the salary cap or being a "team full of mercenaries" or some other BS.

this post is so naive , arrogant and  disrespectful towards traditional grass roots rugby league and its founding clubs it is beyond belief , rugby league is not all about multi million £ franchises buying who they want at over inflated prices , its roots are in the working class and the coal miners of old who played after work and won leagues and even the challenge cup , Carry on being the Real Madrid of Rugby and buying your way to the top but at least have some respect for the grass roots and traditional working mans Rugby Cubs for which there are hundreds of in the UK at semi Pro and Amateur levels and who are finding it very difficult to remain financially viable and some are barely surviving and are only floating because of thousands of hard working volunteers and members .

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

this post is so naive , arrogant and  disrespectful towards traditional grass roots rugby league and its founding clubs it is beyond belief , rugby league is not all about multi million £ franchises buying who they want at over inflated prices , its roots are in the working class and the coal miners of old who played after work and won leagues and even the challenge cup , Carry on being the Real Madrid of Rugby and buying your way to the top but at least have some respect for the grass roots and traditional working mans Rugby Cubs for which there are hundreds of in the UK at semi Pro and Amateur levels and who are finding it very difficult to remain financially viable and some are barely surviving and are only floating because of thousands of hard working volunteers and members .

Firstly, grassroots RL is the amateur game, not semi-pro lower league clubs as Championship and League 1 fans often wrongly like to claim. Secondly, I have a ton of respect for both, just not the handful of idiotic fans whose agenda it is to hound anyone who they see as threatening their 'traditional' way of doing things because their own clubs are not capable of doing what it takes to compete in the 21st century.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

Firstly, grassroots RL is the amateur game, not semi-pro lower league clubs as Championship and League 1 fans often wrongly like to claim. Secondly, I have a ton of respect for both, just not the handful of idiotic fans whose agenda it is to hound anyone who they see as threatening their 'traditional' way of doing things because their own clubs are not capable of doing what it takes to compete in the 21st century.

firstly , I have nothing against the Woolfpack and wish them well but I wont sit back and read tripe , wether its by an idiot English poster or an idiot Canadian  secondly many of the old semi pro clubs grew from the garss roots amateurs .

13 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

firstly , I have nothing against the Woolfpack and wish them well but I wont sit back and read tripe , wether its by an idiot English poster or an idiot Canadian  secondly many of the old semi pro clubs grew from the garss roots amateurs .

Good, then hopefully you will join me in condemning the tripe written by idiot English posters such as the one earlier in this thread. Also not sure which current semi pro clubs you think grew from the grassroots amateur game, the only ones I am aware of in the current pro structure are London Skolars, Coventry Bears and Hemel, whose fans ironically are pretty much the opposite of the stereotype alluded to.

I for one am waiting for Batley to come over..with Bradford down  think that  is close enough to Shipley where i was born plus my gran was a Batley gal. On the booze cruise yesterday I did learn we can expect a WP signing that will set RL tongues wagging..they weren't letting out any names or timing but maybe it's someone coming in from a SL club??

22 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I for one am waiting for Batley to come over..with Bradford down  think that  is close enough to Shipley where i was born plus my gran was a Batley gal. On the booze cruise yesterday I did learn we can expect a WP signing that will set RL tongues wagging..they weren't letting out any names or timing but maybe it's someone coming in from a SL club??

Tony Smith? ;)

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

You do know he's from Yorkshire don't you? Good luck with that one.

He's a Canuck now!!!! So just one will do Rob and i'll get you one after.

Maybe you guys should be ###### after all that we don't bring away fans, a few Cauncks in your beer tent and your revenues will likely double for the day!

I am quite curious as to what signing  that will set RL tongues wagging.  I wonder how close they are getting to salary cap as well.

It did occur to me that as they agreed to forgo all revenue from the league for 3 yrs plus cover all the basic travel costs of visiting teams - perhaps in return they got some exemption or a higher salary cap allowance as an offset?  I would have negotiated for something in return, and perhaps it was cap room?

1 hour ago, Captain Survival said:

I am quite curious as to what signing  that will set RL tongues wagging.  I wonder how close they are getting to salary cap as well.

It did occur to me that as they agreed to forgo all revenue from the league for 3 yrs plus cover all the basic travel costs of visiting teams - perhaps in return they got some exemption or a higher salary cap allowance as an offset?  I would have negotiated for something in return, and perhaps it was cap room?

I don't think they have an exception to the salary cap. However, the TWP need to be very careful with their recruitment, because signing older players on multi-year contracts could really tie their hands if they get into SL.

No additional Cap space, that's why we had a small squad this year. A lot of the players (if not all) that signed last year were on two year deals i think so if we get to SL the majority of the team will be up for renewal so we can adjust as needed. The new signings are being made with the expectation that they can play in SL in my opinion.

The current squad would be nowhere near the salary cap, probably not even at 50% of the cap unless a lot of players were signed on extortionate contracts relative to their market value. And I very much doubt Taylor, Sims, Krasniqi and McCrone are taking up 50% of the cap by themselves so there should be plenty of room to play with.

Also there would be absolutely 0 chance of 'negotiating' a higher salary cap, that would be completely and utterly out of the question.

Archived