Second Canadian team to be announced within 6 months

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I really hope that this is Montreal!!! 

Please, no. We need to get this over the line with 'traditional' club fans. It will need to be one of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_in_Canada_with_an_English_name

There is a wonderful selection; Hunslet is sadly not on the list. I would go for Cumberland or Halifax.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Please, no. We need to get this over the line with 'traditional' club fans. It will need to be one of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_in_Canada_with_an_English_name

There is a wonderful selection; Hunslet is sadly not on the list. I would go for Cumberland or Halifax.

Halifax, Nova Scotia might not be a bad choice. Need a few others first though.

39 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

lol well i guess you are right, the first step to building a successful team is by looking at the township name regardless of it being a farming community where there are 5:1 cattle to human ratios. besides they are already mad that were "taking" their sport so we don't want to make them think that were stealing their town names too.

Montreal is whats needed for it to be successful locally, TO vs. MTL = animosity no matter what. 

54 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I really hope that this is Montreal!!! 

45 minutes ago, ojx said:

Halifax, Nova Scotia might not be a bad choice. Need a few others first though.

If this does happen, it will be one of the following:

• Montreal, QC -- Large metropolitan population, Canada's second largest behind Toronto; AirTransat's other hub/base of operations, with direct/non-stop flights both to several places in the U.K., and to Toulouse & Marseille in the south of France; the Toronto-Montreal rivalry being so strong, in every sport; Stade Saputo (capacity: 20801; surface: grass), Percival Molson Memorial Stadium (capacity: 23420; surface: FieldTurf), and CEPSUM (capacity: 5100; surface: FieldTurf) all well-established.
  • Halifax, NS -- Much smaller population and lacking the flight connections and rivalry.  However, the new stadium would be a perfect size, the flight somewhat shorter, and the city lacks a major professional sports franchise.
  • Quebec City, QC -- Similar to Halifax, above.  The English-French Canada rivalry would add to the fun.  Stade TELUS-Université Laval (capacity: 12257; surface synthetic turf) would be a good venue.

My money is on Montreal; but who knows.  Also, the only reason why I see a western Canadian option as doubtful would be travel times and the existing CFL season, which would conflict.  I would be happy with any expansion, though.

57 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Andover, New Brunswick sounds perfect for rugby league. Their nickname could be "sixth tackle."

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 minutes ago, ChoboMog said:

If this does happen, it will be one of the following:

• Montreal, QC -- Large metropolitan population, Canada's second largest behind Toronto; AirTransat's other hub/base of operations, with direct/non-stop flights both to several places in the U.K., and to Toulouse & Marseille in the south of France; the Toronto-Montreal rivalry being so strong, in every sport; Stade Saputo (capacity: 20801; surface: grass), Percival Molson Memorial Stadium (capacity: 23420; surface: FieldTurf), and CEPSUM (capacity: 5100; surface: FieldTurf) all well-established.
  • Halifax, NS -- Much smaller population and lacking the flight connections and rivalry.  However, the new stadium would be a perfect size, the flight somewhat shorter, and the city lacks a major professional sports franchise.
  • Quebec City, QC -- Similar to Halifax, above.  The English-French Canada rivalry would add to the fun.  Stade TELUS-Université Laval (capacity: 12257; surface synthetic turf) would be a good venue.

My money is on Montreal; but who knows.  Also, the only reason why I see a western Canadian option as doubtful would be travel times and the existing CFL season, which would conflict.  I would be happy with any expansion, though.

Nice post. To me Montreal for the next team is a no brainer.

40 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Hopefully Barrow will not be in league 1 by then

17 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I didn't realise they were one of the League 1 clubs the RFL was looking to jettison?

I think the assumption was 2019 would see Toronto up into the Super League, and Montreal in League 1, with Barrow playing in the Championship.

Archived