15th/16th/17th Sept : Super 8s - The Qualifiers Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Super 8s Qualifiers games here.

Friday 15th Sept :

Leigh Centurions v Halifax K.O. 8pm.

Hull Kingston Rovers v Catalans Dragons K.O. 8pm Sky TV.

Saturday 16th Sept :

Widnes Vikings v London Broncos K.O. 3.15pm Sky TV.

Sunday 17th Sept :

Featherstone Rovers v Warrington Wolves K.O. 3pm.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leigh and Widnes should win by a double figure margin but a win for London would make things interesting..

Wire should (on paper) romp away but they'll make it hard for themselves again. Fev are a great side and frustrate the opposition, especially at PO Road.

Cats might spoil Rervers party. I would imagine Tim the Wise One will give some lads a run out. Ben Cockayne will almost certainly be full back in his last game. 

Could be another 'celebration' like the last time we tried against Toulouse!

Leigh and especially Catalans really need to win by big margins on the assumption that Widnes will beat London marginally.

the current PD between Leigh and Widnes is 40, whilst it is 80 between Widnes and Catalans (though a 41 point defeat for Widnes at Cats on the last game would overturn that).

unfortunately poor decision whoever chose us to play on Friday as Widnes will know exactly what to do on Sat. The same goes for the week after

Sheens gives update.

Heffernan had shoulder surgery today, will miss pre season.

Scruton being considered for shoulder surgery, having wrist operation.

Lunt shoulder op to be considered.

Addy Pectoral issue,season ended.

Maseo  returns to family in Australia to enable return on day one of preseason.

So 4 players soldiering on busted in Qualifiers.

Great that this can all be sorted now and not in 3 weeks time!

Good to see Fax bringing in 3 young local players from the reserves. We wont win against Leigh and its a good decision to give 3 lads a chance to see what first grade is and where they are at. Fax missing the likes of Murrell, Grix etc will weaken them a lot. You could see in the  London game the Catalans game had seen a few players  left them in a poor state thanks to some late and high tackles. Leigh again will be a physical game and no point putting them in if not fit.

I do feel sorry for Leigh and Widnes, as it was a sickening feeling last season watching Hudds beat a Leeds team that had been promoted and therefore had nothing to play for. If that result had been reversed we may well have avoided the MPG as the narrow win Hudds got against us would have seen them in the MPG and not us.

I hope we can do Leigh and Widnes a favour by beating Catalans, but know that if Cats can't beat the team we will field then they do not deserve a seat at the top table.

5 hours ago, Reliable Robin said:

From seeing the Rover's team sheet I'd suggest if Les Cats cannot win this one then they are doomed.

Cats have Aiton back, who despite French opinion, is a decent hooker.  The young hooker Da Costa will be better for Aitons return, but they have Yaha injured, so former HKR player Thornley might be in.  

Looking at the Cats team, massive lack of pace, so maybe some of those young lads (Mick Cators lad to boot) might pose them problems, especially late in the game if Rovers forwards aren't sobered up now.  Could be a close game.

2 hours ago, HKRBob said:

I do feel sorry for Leigh and Widnes, as it was a sickening feeling last season watching Hudds beat a Leeds team that had been promoted and therefore had nothing to play for. If that result had been reversed we may well have avoided the middle 8's as the narrow win Hudds got against us would have seen them in the MPG and not us.

I hope we can do Leigh and Widnes a favour by beating Catalans, but know that if Cats can't beat the team we will field then they do not deserve a seat at the top table.

Careful Bob, that statement could be regarded as heresy.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Leigh Centurions v Halifax  - Leigh to improve their points difference  Leigh by 20

Hull Kingston Rovers v Catalans Dragons - A case of after the Lord Mayors show in East Hull. When the French club Toulouse needed to go and win at KR to stay alive in he Championship race they did and I expect the more diverse Catalans club to edge this by 4

Widnes Vikings v London Broncos - Still think London have the capacity to cause a upset but they have not cured themselves of the "mad 20 minutes" in matches where a shedload of points are conceded.

Both clubs are used to artificial pitches, which reminds me of an old conversation  "What do you prefer grass ior astroturf" to which the reply was "grass, cos I don't smoke astroturf !".

Widnes under pressure to win this as the last game is Catalans away, i think they should, but the closer the game is in the last 20 minutes the more pressure the Chemics will be under. Widnes by 8

Featherstone Rovers v Warrington Wolves - Potential upset here with Tony Smith's departure announced and no one in place to replace him with a lot of anxiety amongst the players and coaching staff about personal futures. If it rains all the better for Featherstone Rovers. Normally I would have tipped Warrington by 16 but an upset could be coming.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Leigh Centurions v Halifax  - Leigh to improve their points difference  Leigh by 20

Hull Kingston Rovers v Catalans Dragons - A case of after the Lord Mayors show in East Hull. When the French club Toulouse needed to go and win at KR to stay alive in he Championship race they did and I expect the more diverse Catalans club to edge this by 4

Widnes Vikings v London Broncos - Still think London have the capacity to cause a upset but they have not cured themselves of the "mad 20 minutes" in matches where a shedload of points are conceded.

Both clubs are used to artificial pitches, which reminds me of an old conversation  "What do you prefer grass ior astroturf" to which the reply was "grass, cos I don't smoke astroturf !".

Widnes under pressure to win this as the last game is Catalans away, i think they should, but the closer the game is in the last 20 minutes the more pressure the Chemics will be under. Widnes by 8

Featherstone Rovers v Warrington Wolves - Potential upset here with Tony Smith's departure announced and no one in place to replace him with a lot of anxiety amongst the players and coaching staff about personal futures. If it rains all the better for Featherstone Rovers. Normally I would have tipped Warrington by 16 but an upset could be coming.

The squad Warrington have picked is a strong one, Currie, Clarke both in with a chance to play themselves into contention for the World Cup, I think they will be too good. 

I might regret saying this but I'm confident we can take London at home. For the other games I imagine wins for Leigh, Catalans  and Wire. That would leave the table (unless there's some big swings in pts diff) as follows:

Rank Team              

1 Wire             12
2 Hull KR             10
3 Widnes             8
4 Cats             8
5 Leigh             6
6 London             3
7 Fev             1
8 Halifax             0

If that's the case then that would still mean that next week's game between Cats and Widnes is a decider to see who plays Leigh in the MPG.....actually we may still be ok if we beat London but then get beat at Cats (by way of pts difference) unless Cats trounce us

4 hours ago, chuffer said:

.actually we may still be ok if we beat London but then get beat at Cats (by way of pts difference) unless Cats trounce us

That only comes into play if Hull KR beat Catalans this week, no? If Catalans and Widnes are both on 8pts after this weekend, then it really is a straight shootout with the loser into the MPG vs Leigh. It's only if Catalans lose at Hull KR and Widnes beat London that Widnes could go to Perpignan knowing they need only to keep the margin below 40 or whatever it turns out to be.

Looking at the Widnes squad, almost devoid of backs due to injury, hard to see them scoring too many points, bookies have London on a 14.5 start though.

Hull Kr 8.5 start v Catalans (Halifax 23.5 & Fev 17.5, for completeness.)

1 hour ago, JonM said:

That only comes into play if Hull KR beat Catalans this week, no? If Catalans and Widnes are both on 8pts after this weekend, then it really is a straight shootout with the loser into the MPG vs Leigh. It's only if Catalans lose at Hull KR and Widnes beat London that Widnes could go to Perpignan knowing they need only to keep the margin below 40 or whatever it turns out to be.

Looking at the Widnes squad, almost devoid of backs due to injury, hard to see them scoring too many points, bookies have London on a 14.5 start though.

Hull Kr 8.5 start v Catalans (Halifax 23.5 & Fev 17.5, for completeness.)

sorry, you're right, if both Widnes and Cats win this weekend then we're both on 8pts. If we then lose away to Cats then we're playing Leigh in the MPG

2 hours ago, chuffer said:

sorry, you're right, if both Widnes and Cats win this weekend then we're both on 8pts. If we then lose away to Cats then we're playing Leigh in the MPG

Leigh have got the opportunity to score a pan full against a much weakend Halifax outfit, a 50 pts difference for Leigh tonight will shake things up a bit, especially if Widnes or Cats lose.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Archived