15th/16th/17th Sept : Super 8s - The Qualifiers Match Thread

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mellor puts the top hat on the game with a late try. A win, by any margin, next week, will keep Widnes clear of the MPG.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice try at the end there.

Apparently Houston led by example.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, chuffer said:

phew....moral defeat aside, I'm glad we got 2 pts and are still in the mix, here's hoping we can do it at cats next week.....london played well and had me very nervous at times

I think that last try may just give you a chance of a home MPG if you lose in France. 

Widnes too powerful down the middle, first half, and second half 1st 10-15mins sealed it.  Sure London came back and could have had another try, but Mellors couple made it a fair result.

London looked threatening at times, near the Widnes line, but just didn't have much of a kicking game for me.  Despite that, they played very well at times and on another day could've been closer.

Lloyd White, who I thought was key in the 1st half looks like a hamstring injury.  A decent goal kicker might be all the difference next week and considering they've had 9, this season, could be decisive.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Widnes too powerful down the middle, first half, and second half 1st 10-15mins sealed it.  Sure London came back and could have had another try, but Mellors couple made it a fair result.

London looked threatening at times, near the Widnes line, but just didn't have much of a kicking game for me.  Despite that, they played very well at times and on another day could've been closer.

Lloyd White, who I thought was key in the 1st half looks like a hamstring injury.  A decent goal kicker might be all the difference next week and considering they've had 9, this season, could be decisive.

All our goal kickers are as good/average as each other. None are really that outstanding, we need to score tries first and foremost 

So we now know that the winner next week of Cats v Widnes will be in Super League and the loser will play Leigh in the MPG.

A draw would see Widnes in SL and Cats v Leigh in the MPG.

From what I have seen Catalans are the poorest side of the 3 so far...but not saying that will count for much next week.

10 minutes ago, chuffer said:

doubt it...the RFL are clearly hell bent on keeping Widnes in at the expense of expansionist clubs like London ....etc etc

Don't gripe about the $uper Greed Con$piracy™ - it clearly works. ;) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Lose and we're away , win by 29 and we'll be at home , anything in between depends on the potential winning margin of Cats over Widnes 

5 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

So we now know that the winner next week of Cats v Widnes will be in Super League and the loser will play Leigh in the MPG.

A draw would see Widnes in SL and Cats v Leigh in the MPG.

From what I have seen Catalans are the poorest side of the 3 so far...but not saying that will count for much next week.

Thanks guys, my head turns to mush when I try and work this stuff out.

Catalans v Widnes has the potential to be almost as stressful as the MPG, more car crash RL on Sky. 

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

London have been good value in the Qualifiers and competitive in every game. And highly entertaining to boot!

But they aren't ready for Super League yet. Big priority has to be some grunt up front - two or three really big and powerful prop forwards would transform that team from 'nearly there' to 'there' IMO

24 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

London have been good value in the Qualifiers and competitive in every game. And highly entertaining to boot!

But they aren't ready for Super League yet. Big priority has to be some grunt up front - two or three really big and powerful prop forwards would transform that team from 'nearly there' to 'there' IMO

The lad who came on later gained some ground though.  Didn't catch his name, we've had a house full!

38 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

yeh the backs were solid I thought, and sammut is still class, their biggest fella up front seemed a bit of a clutz

12 minutes ago, chuffer said:

yeh the backs were solid I thought, and sammut is still class, their biggest fella up front seemed a bit of a clutz

Agreed; Sammut working his tricks behind a more dominant pack would be a very dangerous prospect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

So MPG will be Widnes vs Leigh at Widnes or Leigh vs Cats at Leigh.

All in next week for Widnes and Cats as I'd put money on Leigh winning the MPG.

Still 4 options for Leigh , lose at London next friday [ Not Fev Spidey ] and we are away to either Widnes or Cats

Turn over London by 28 and we're at home to either Widnes or Cats

Beat London by less we are home to Cats if they lose or Widnes if they lose and we catch up the 28 points difference

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Thanks guys, my head turns to mush when I try and work this stuff out.

Catalans v Widnes has the potential to be almost as stressful as the MPG, more car crash RL on Sky. 

I'm going...  And my job is on the line if Catalans lose.  I'm taking extra aspirin to keep the blood thin, water tablets to keep the blood pressure low, and beer on the day to fug the whole experience.

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

So MPG will be Widnes vs Leigh at Widnes or Leigh vs Cats at Leigh.

All in next week for Widnes and Cats as I'd put money on Leigh winning the MPG.

It could also be Leigh vs Widnes at Leigh. Leigh's last couple of week's has boosted their PD to the point that they can now catch Widnes without it being too unlikely a scenario. If Cats were to win by 10, they wouldn't need a huge win against London to get the home game.

I'm glad we got the win today, Betts's stupid comment this week about London players had me concerned especially after the opening 20. 

Other than that I'm feeling a little sorry for myself and there feels like an air of inevitability to Widnes' relegation partly based on misfortune. I think we've done enough to suggest that we are of the best 3 teams in the qualifiers (we've scored more and conceded less than all the other teams for example) but will probably end up in the MPG because of an unfortunate fixture list. This is of course our own fault for finishing bottom and demonstrates the importance of finishing position for the Qualifiers.

For instance if this week's and last week's fixtures were reversed, I suspect we'd be safe by now. Catalans got the benefit of an understrength Hull KR and we would probably also have won in that circumstance too. Catalans get to play us at home, something KR and Leigh also had the benefit of; we'd have been favourites against all 3 at home. Results have meant that we haven't played a team out of the competition whereas Leigh will have done for 2 weeks in a row likely aiding their PD to the point they might catch us. 

Instead we face the task of going to Catalans and needing to win somewhere we've never managed to. If we, as I suspect is probable, fail then we're in the MPG but missing some of the players key to beating Leigh last time. I can't see us beating them away from home twice.

Anyway, rant over. At the end of the day it's our own fault we're in this position and will be our own fault if we're relegated. After all we were favourites to go down and finished bottom. There'll be no great injustice if we do.

Archived