2018 Squad and signings.

roughyed1064

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can keep the majority then we will be a force next season.

Unfortunately though our better players (Tyson etc) will be picked up by other middle placed clubs in the Championship.

That is life and it is up to the coaching staff (whoever that will be) to replace them with suitable replacements.

PS. there is a £115m pound jackpot in the Euromillions on Friday, worth a punt  if you fancy buying ORLFC.;)

I hope we can keep most of the squad and coaching staff. How good would it be to have Phil Joy, Briscoe, Scott Turner back as well. I honestly believe that with less injuries we can bounce back up into one of the two promotion places. We'll probably lose a few to clubs in the Championship but think we could improve our squad in the Centre and at 6 & 7. Come on you Yeds, get signed and let's get going for 2018. 

You will be lucky to keep any centres 6 or 7 . Who will want to come there isn't an abundance of quality backs around for this div 1 

chappy

I've posted elsewhere that i was disappointed that Scott Leatherbarrow didn't really add much to the squad last season. Dave Hewitt has talent and is still young. Grimmer didn't get a chance at half back until it was too late. All would be good enough for league 1. We struggled in the centre when either Tyson was suspended or Grimmer was injured and look vulnerable there. I thought Ben Morris did ok for a young lad. 

On 13 September 2017 at 0:48 PM, Yed17 said:

I hope we can keep most of the squad and coaching staff. How good would it be to have Phil Joy, Briscoe, Scott Turner back as well. I honestly believe that with less injuries we can bounce back up into one of the two promotion places. We'll probably lose a few to clubs in the Championship but think we could improve our squad in the Centre and at 6 & 7. Come on you Yeds, get signed and let's get going for 2018. 

If I was Scott turner I would retire you don't get three concussions in one season and think it's safe for you to carry on playing

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Hearing Michael Ward as signed for Batley.

Didn't see that coming. But if it's true who can blame him, he'll be playing in the championship for a bigger club.The money will no doubt be better. He's done wonderful for us,good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Connor mcb said:

Hearing from who?

Pretty sure we'll hear all sorts of rumour in the coming weeks. I can't blame wardy if true, for me those that don't want to play for the club need to leave and then we can build a togetber squad that wants to play for each other.

It worked for Dewsbury

At the end of the day there will be comings and goings over the coming weeks in all departments. Lets just see how we are when it comes to season ticket renewal time. Then people can make their decisions then.Personally I think the set up player and coach wise will be very different. One important point is where we will play,until this sorted we can't do anything.

We will be at the Vestacare,trust me. 

Players come,players go. I expect of course we will lose players and most likely gain some new blood. Saying they are deserting a sinking ship is ludicrous. If clubs offer more money then players cant be blamed for leaving, that doesn't just apply because of relegation (although of course with the financial hit) that will be a big concern for the club. We cant offer mega contracts in League 1 for obvious reasons and players are entitled to earn what they can from the game. A lot of the players have stuck around for quite a few years and if they or any others leave, then I wish them all well and thank them for their service to Oldham. Tyson to Warrington,hmmm, not so sure of that, maybe a Championship club but I wouldn't think SL just yet.

We will have a side on the pitch next season and I expect us to go well in Champ 1 (assuming the RFL do actually relegate anyone or restructure), no guarantees of glory at the end but we will be competitive for sure.

After the disappointment of this season and relegation, the club need to take stock and assess how to move forward and recruitment/retaining/releasing of players/coaches I'm sure will be high on the agenda. Until anything is confirmed about anyone leaving its all just speculation.

Tyson to warrington they have dr with Rochdale, loan him out to Rochdale  they have better half backs than we had and they get the ball to the backs they play open rugby watch his improvement under better coaching. as for vestacare I will wait to see it happen.

41 minutes ago, tandle said:

Tyson to warrington they have dr with Rochdale, loan him out to Rochdale  they have better half backs than we had and they get the ball to the backs they play open rugby watch his improvement under better coaching. as for vestacare I will wait to see it happen.

Interesting point, I don't suppose it would surprise me if it happened though I agree we had difficulty getting him in the game enough at times. 

I thought he'd go to Fax or Batley somewhere like that. 

potentially goes to warrington full time, warrington will sign a world class coach so he will train at warrington with world class players. say he gets£800 a week and it pays of they would get a great centre for nothing makes good business,if you where a super league club would you take a chance on him.

Archived