Your international rugby league rankings?

How would you rank all the international rugby league teams ahead of the World Cup if you had to?  Maybe even just a 1-10.

I find the stop-start nature of the international formats, and lack of international fixtures generally, makes it hard for me to know how to rate the teams ahead of this World Cup.

Seems like some on here are pretty clued up on the international game - for the rest of us, how would you rate the various teams?

It all depends on which sides they field. If they field heritage-based sides I'd rank Italy and Lebanon ahead of Ireland, Wales and USA. Remember that those Northern Hemisphere rankings are partly based on games at the end of last year with a lot of domestic players playing whereas the Southern teams played on a NRL-free weekend and had full-strength teams playing. The problem with this of course is that even though PNG will often come last in a Pacific competition, they are still better than most of the Euro countries.

Australia, New Zealand, England.

Samoa, Fiji, Scotland, Tonga, PNG, France ... @Farmduck is spot on about Lebanon and Italy, so let's throw one of them in the top 10. Wales and Ireland should be competitive in every game against the other mid-tier teams but might not have the heritage/talent depth to get multiple wins. Can't see USA providing much resistance. 

The first three are given. The rest of the rankings are decided by whatever the horse traders and Country hoppers come up with. Should be fun though. Can't see Aus being knocked off the top.

The closeness of positions 3 to about 12 is a good news story over the last decade or so.

The main problem with all of these countries(with the exception of PNG and possibly France)is the lack of domestic activity and money.This means the said countries are not getting enough opportunities to test themselves against each other.

4 hours ago, Rawschach said:

PoAs you say, the lack of fixtures makes it difficult - top 3 looks right!

I would say Fiji should be in the top 5 and PNG should be in the 10 but the World Cup will give us a better idea

World Cup!!!!  Exciting

Do Fiji also have home advantage or is it just games in PNG

definitely exciting and these posts aren't too soon for me!  Unfortunate reports for England of Gale Injury , not sure what duration?

I'm not sure much progress if any is being made Internationaly. My guess is zero to not much if in ten years time we are still discussing the validity of heritage players. But it is what it is I suppose. 

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Found some official ones on RLIF:

1. Australia 

2. New Zealand

3. England

4. Scotland

5. Samoa

6. France

7. Ireland

8. Fiji

9. Wales

10. United States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLIF_World_Rankings

Surprised Scotland are still as high as 4th. and Wales only in 9th... Wales have been on good form of late and since John Kear took over have been winning more than losing. Wales have beaten Ireland and Italy - both away fixtures and both convincing wins... and France at home. In fact Wales havent lost a game since October 2015

15 hours ago, Fabou said:

my ranking:

1. Australia 

2. Australia Prime Minister

3. England

4. New Zealand

5. PNG

6. Samoa

7/8. Fiji/Tonga

9/15. France/ Lebanon / Ireland/wales/Scotland/USA/Russia

shakes head

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

1. Aussies
2. Queensland
3. NSW
4. Kiwis
5. England
6. Every heritage nation
7. PNG
8. France
9. Wales

Shouldn't be on the RLIF rankings : Scotland.

NSW better than England. 

Laffles.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

53 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

NSW better than England. 

Laffles.

It would be a lot closer contest than England V Australia though.

I would have my money on NSW to be honest

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived