Wolfpacks new signings

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Frog said:

Good to hear.Thanks. Alternate truths seem ok.

I presume that you are in fact a passionate fan and are just frustrated with the fact that the game isn't as big as it could be and you have witnessed some big expansion failures in the past and as such are using these forums as a way to blow some steam off.  If this is true then that's ok, over time hopefully you turn into that prince you hoppy little fellow.

If not I don't get how someone could be sooooo pessimistic and suggest you hop off and get some snails ya Frog!!! :tongue:

2 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

I presume that you are in fact a passionate fan and are just frustrated with the fact that the game isn't as big as it could be and you have witnessed some big expansion failures in the past and as such are using these forums as a way to blow some steam off.  If this is true then that's ok, over time hopefully you turn into that prince you hoppy little fellow.

If not I don't get how someone could be sooooo pessimistic and suggest you hop off and get some snails ya Frog!!! :tongue:

Or alternatively it's someone who is a fan of a different sport and has spent countless hours of his life signing up to this and other forums over and over and over again after being repeatedly banned.

2 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Or alternatively it's someone who is a fan of a different sport and has spent countless hours of his life signing up to this and other forums over and over and over again after being repeatedly banned.

Were it not for Toronto, I do not think we would get any genuine new posters nowadays.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Red Willow said:

The nationality of the players have little impact look at football.

As for signings Oli won't let you down as a squad player.

I think he is a great signing as I noted in a prior comment so I am in agreement with you 100%.

I don't think it will take as long as some suspect for more Canadians (or Americans) to appear on TWP or any other potential NA based squad.  I have noted it before in prior forum comments, but it seems some of the UK based support either don't recognize it or don't agree, but the jump to rugby from other traditional Canadian sports is IMHO not a significant one.  I think there are many athletes here who could transition with the appropriate tutelage.   I say that having been one of them since I played football, lacrosse, rugby and more through high school, and for some  in university as well.

There is also a Rugby base in North America.  Its not as small as is thought - I can easily imagine that in fact in the USA their might be 50k plus amateurs playing the game (it is a country with 370MM people and many colleges play rugby).  The emergence of pro rugby in NA, particularly if a New York team gets off the ground, will add impetus to development of higher calibre players.

Not trying to step on any toes here - but I just don't think it will be that tough for squads here to develop and recruit local players as time progresses.

1 hour ago, Frog said:

When the Portuguese team from Lisbon get promoted to the super League with their team from NSW in ten years time you might better understand my anguish. There is no progress with this mindset. Rugby League is again badly run by what seems the traditional Inept cartel.

You will really hate it when Melbourne Storm with their 5th title in their 19 year history next month, despite only ever producing Mahe Fonua.

I'd like to see next year (as I think next year will be very much like this year, except in terms of standard of player they buy) talk/news of an academy or u-13's, u-15's, u-16's etc. You can't build a club from the top down. I'd hope that they'd set off a number  junior teams in the vicinity of Toronto at a few age groups.

1 hour ago, Krzzystuff said:

I'm frustrated by the same old mistakes being repeated . Some of the Posters here are pretending to be from Canada when they are clearly not. Are you too blinkered to realise that? If our game is ever going to move forward we have to make some hard decisions. 

2 hours ago, Frog said:

When the Portuguese team from Lisbon get promoted to the super League with their team from NSW in ten years time you might better understand my anguish. There is no progress with this mindset. Rugby League is again badly run by what seems the traditional Inept cartel.

But at least it is badly run by our traditionally inept cartel. 

7 minutes ago, Frog said:

I'm frustrated by the same old mistakes being repeated . Some of the Posters here are pretending to be from Canada when they are clearly not. Are you too blinkered to realise that? If our game is ever going to move forward we have to make some hard decisions. 

so you really are a troll eh.

8 minutes ago, Frog said:

Our game? Really? Terrible attempt, worst attempt in quite some time on here. You should be ashamed.

just read this line in the Herald

"Rowley estimates he will need eight or nine more players next season in the Championship, where fully pro teams will be the norm. Work on adding to the roster has been going on for months."

4-5 more signings coming hopefully!!!

Wolfpacks on fire!!!!!!

Your defense is terrified!!!!

http://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/national-sports/2017/09/13/toronto-wolfpack-beef-up-for-next-season-in-englands-championship/

3 hours ago, Frog said:

I'm English. London. If a London team was all Canadian I would have little Interest in them. I don't like/follow the EPL. I'm surprised by the level of support the TWP get. Long may it continue , it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Fair enough, to each their own.  Thankfully not much of a consideration for most over here. We're more interested in how they play and interact with fans than what their blood line is made of. If you can't enjoy a sporting contest because of where someone might be born, do you really enjoy the sport at all? Or is it some faux nationalist feelings that you are adding to the event?

National teams are fun too, but a different beast. Looking forward to the Canada vs USA game this weekend.

14 minutes ago, Frog said:

We need pretend Canadians for the pretend crowds.

7 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

But at least it is badly run by our traditionally inept cartel. 

Thank you. The point I was trying to make, badly I admit , is that Rugby League is going nowhere if current strategies continue. Perez has a yet to be realised agenda but TWP is being quoted as a legitimate template already. If you have the best Interests of the game at heart I'd step back a bit If I was you and listen to criticisms even if you don't agree.

4 minutes ago, Frog said:

Why are we here where we are now. It's The Emperors Clothes (again). It's the 21st millennium and we are run by  a failed Organisation. 

Great to see opinions being expressed, but particularly interested in views accompanied by some supporting reasons / explanations. 

Not wishing to appear confrontational, but wishing to engage in dialogue, could "...where are we now." be clarified. Similarly, the  "failed organisation" and the relevance of the 21st millennium (century?) to failed organisations.

By the way, the Hull v Wakefield match is worth watching - half-time at the moment.

49 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I'd like to see next year (as I think next year will be very much like this year, except in terms of standard of player they buy) talk/news of an academy or u-13's, u-15's, u-16's etc. You can't build a club from the top down. I'd hope that they'd set off a number  junior teams in the vicinity of Toronto at a few age groups.

Perez is the driving force behind RL in Canda, not just the Wolfpack. He's working on getting the game played in schools and has single handily started the national body again and started a domestic competition. It will take time but eventually we will be churning players out.

We might not follow the mold of the ideal English team but then again most fans are stating that the game isn't in a great place so maybe not following down the beaten path is a good thing.

Either way the Wolfpacks on fire!!!!!

Your defense is terrified!!!!

7 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Perez is the driving force behind RL in Canda, not just the Wolfpack. He's working on getting the game played in schools and has single handily started the national body again and started a domestic competition. 

Jamie Lester was the driving force behind the CRL beng resurrected. Perez came on board a short time later.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Frog said:

I'm English. London. If a London team was all Canadian I would have little Interest in them. I don't like/follow the EPL. I'm surprised by the level of support the TWP get. Long may it continue , it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm Australian in Canberra. If the Canberra Raiders were all English players I would not care. As long as they give their all. 

Some of us don't share the same vision. I want an International Rugby League that doesn't continually sell itself short and buys itself into the next half arsed expansion Idea. It seems that any Idea that growing the game in any sustainable way is against the fantasist dogma expressed so often by some here.

6 hours ago, Bob8 said:

The cross code forum included a discussion comparing two clubs going into new areas.  London Welsh went to Oxford and failed, Wasps went to Coventry and prospered.

The criteria seem to be the same for any rugby league club going into a new area or any rugby league club generally.

The criteria for success appear to be:
1. A town with either enough population and wealth or a strong tradition in the game
2. Good management
3. Enough financial backing
4. A suitable and stable venue

That seems to be the reality.  No club with these four fail and no club with them prosper (though, preparation time might help).  London were terribly run, and did not have a suitable venue.  Highfield were the same.  Gateshead had financial backing withdrawn, Crusaders failed on point 1 and PSG had corrupt management and failed on point 2.  Catalans had all four and took an extra year to prepare.

TWP appear to have all four.  

I have posted this again.  So you can read it this time.

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

In this quote you appeal to look at reality.  What we know is why have expansion efforts in rugby union where one propers and one failed.  We have several in rugby league in which a couple have prospered and several failed.  Both sporting bodies have seen success and failure, so clearly it is possible to succeed and proper under the RFU or the RFL and possible to fail under the RFU or the RFL.

4 hours ago, Frog said:

Stop posting the same point over and over again, when parts have been refuted.  It makes you look stupid, which would be unfair.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

15 minutes ago, Frog said:

Some of us don't share the same vision. I want an International Rugby League that doesn't continually sell itself short and buys itself into the next half arsed expansion Idea. It seems that any Idea that growing the game in any sustainable way is against the fantasist dogma expressed so often by some here.

Super League is a commerical entity, that relies on TV money.  It is based around rugby league.  Its appeal is indeed very limited, which sells the sport short.  This is in part because many of the clubs have few supporters, interest to sponsors of the wider market.

Clubs like Toronto will stop this and so stop selling the game short.  

Fantasists like to live in a fantasy world, where everything will be fine is the Sky money is divided amongst clubs getting paid to make up the numbers.  They are stupid, aren't they! :D

This is why you were thrown off the first time.

Archived