2018 Kits

New Kr

6 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

I am sure some clubs are lazy and allow brands to tell them what to wear but it is certainly not the way errea work nor any other brands we deal with or have dealt with in the past such as Canterbury, Kappa and Umbro.

Probably the long and short of this is fans are always going to debate the choice of the club and some will hate what they are presented with however unless sales are affected badly then the proof is in the pudding and someone has done their job right. Wigan are posting excellent sales year on year and that is all that matters to them as they are a business.

I wouldn't describe letting experts present options based on your brief and picking one you like as lazy. 

I don't design my own clothes, I choose what is available, but nobody is telling me what I have to wear.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much of a fan of the errea designs for Wigan over the last couple of years....but they do some decent stuff for other teams so looking at that away kit and some of the previous training tops I've seen Wigan must have a bit of an eccentric lunatic signing these things off.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

How does this work in football then?

Nike have given all their clients the same shirts this year with different colours. They always use the same template. Do they get to do that because they're paying the clubs for the privilege? Whereas League clubs are paying the manufacturers?

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

But you're not working with clubs, you're designing stuff for Puma or whoever you now work for. If you were working with clubs in that way your amateur team wouldn't be playing in Ravensport surely?

Puma, or more correctly Genesis, work in exactly the same way with Pro club clients as I have been involved in deals including one with an RL team and Genesis.

As I have eluded to earlier the people Wigan have signing off designs and training wear are perfectly capable of doing so and have plenty of experience of both wearing kit and the retail/promotion of it. They also sell thousands of shirts every single year so I would suggest they are quite content with things.

I am actually designing for clubs and other sports teams. My amateur club team wears a kit designed by me, because i'm a designer and am better qualified than anyone else to understand the traditional look of the club, for no other reason. If i wasn't a designer i'd expect some creative input and guidance from whomever i was purchasing kit from. 

Puma Genesis are the UK license holder for Puma football apparel. And as such don't strictly design for the clubs they work with, rather supply them with a puma templated kit in their own colours and branding/sponsors. Kits that are already designed. Puma, the brand, not a local license holder, only 'design' kits for a handful of football teams globally. Though some club sides like Bordeaux and Newcastle have a specific historical look, so will have a slightly different look to theirs than others. But they will pay for that privelidge.

No doubt Wigan are content if they continue to sell the same number of jerseys.

As Dave T says, its not lazy letting experts present ideas and opinions. Anyone with any sense would want that. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

6 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

Why else would anyone outside of Wigan be wearing Wigan RL gear?

You're of course entitled to your opinion but I would suggest that given the number of Pro Clubs across all sports Worldwide wearing errea the stuff is a bit better than 'cheap looking rubbish'.

Because they have a big following outside of Wigan,especially where I live,you used to see large numbers of kids wearing ISC gear and plenty of amateur players wearing it for training,not now,so they must agree with me it's cheap looking rubbish,which it is.

7 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

The fact 2 clubs who are with ISC currently are now talking to errea for a switch in 2019 would suggest the 'pap' is actually quite nice and those clubs fancy wearing it.

Do you know which 2 clubs are to talking to errea?

21 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

But you're not working with clubs, you're designing stuff for Puma or whoever you now work for. If you were working with clubs in that way your amateur team wouldn't be playing in Ravensport surely?

Puma, or more correctly Genesis, work in exactly the same way with Pro club clients as I have been involved in deals including one with an RL team and Genesis.

As I have eluded to earlier the people Wigan have signing off designs and training wear are perfectly capable of doing so and have plenty of experience of both wearing kit and the retail/promotion of it. They also sell thousands of shirts every single year so I would suggest they are quite content with things.

What's up with Ravensport Jimmy?! 

6 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Wet should always have a retro jersey like this for sale regardless of how the current jersey looks.... they will always be a demand for them

I've never been to Fev. Never seen them play. Probably never will. But I would buy that retro jersey in a heartbeat*. It's one of the best jerseys around.

* But not at that price!! What's it made of? Gold spun from the hair of an enslaved princess?

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

The historic design, quality-made, non-polyester, casual wear market in shirts/polos/fleeces is something that many RL clubs could exploit more. But only if they are reasonably affordable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, Davo5 said:

Because they have a big following outside of Wigan,especially where I live,you used to see large numbers of kids wearing ISC gear and plenty of amateur players wearing it for training,not now,so they must agree with me it's cheap looking rubbish,which it is.

I have to agree unfortunately. My cash was burning a hole in my pocket this week, and also a year ago. Both times, Warrington released their new training ranges, and both times i bought nothing.

I know its only personal taste, but i stroll about in Wire gear from a few years ago, as it looked quality back then whereas thd current stuff looks like cheap tat IMO. 

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

4 minutes ago, Celt said:

I have to agree unfortunately. My cash was burning a hole in my pocket this week, and also a year ago. Both times, Warrington released their new training ranges, and both times i bought nothing.

I know its only personal taste, but i stroll about in Wire gear from a few years ago, as it looked quality back then whereas thd current stuff looks like cheap tat IMO. 

I must admit i like some of the Wire training gear they releases today. The charcoal stuff is nice.

On 11/23/2017 at 5:20 PM, Monkey Lover said:

A lot of soccer clubs prefer brands like Macron, errea and Genesis (Puma) who will at least make them a unique strip. Those who prefer the big brand like Nike will end up in nothing more than a catalogue kit with their badge and sponsors stuck on.

Sorry for maybe being thick, but what is Genesis with regards to Puma? As far as I've always been aware Puma is Puma, based in the same Bavarian town as adidas, formed by one of the Dassler brothers and known as Puma SE branded as Puma.

If it's not broke,

Fix it until it is!

Come On You Dons!

On 25 November 2017 at 10:30 AM, chuffer said:

like the shirt, the green sponsor logo sort of spoils it a bit for me, would be ok if it was all in white

Very decent design from Batley. Good to see the fawn looks a bit like fawn rather than orange. Morley Waste Traders have been good friends to rugby league over the years, haven't they?

Archived