Embarrassing, to say the least

glemiln

I feel for the faithful who made the effort/cost to see this debacle.  Nothing at stake?  What about pride!  Perhaps many players knew this was their last game in the Hornets shirt.   If nothing else this 72-16 loss should emphasise the need to rebuild a new team for the bigger challenges in 2018.  

Lack of discipline this season could easily have cost us staying in the Championship and today it's reared its head with 14 penalties against in total and 3 sin-bins in the first half leading to a 46-6 ht scoreline.  A slightly better 2nd half, but a poor way to end the campaign - especially after the way we ended last season.

An interesting few months ahead.

Our form in this mini league has been nothing short of atrocious. Unless changes are made before next season with Toronto being promoted we'll be favourites to go down. No way should we be conceding 72 points at Bradford.

It's time we learnt that you stand a better chance of winning games with 13 players on the pitch than with 12.

Whatever we've done or not done this season we've clearly got on the wrong side of the referees throughout this season. How many games have we managed to play and not get a player sin binned or sent off ? It can't be many.

10 men playing 12 men like today is only going to end one way.

What bloody disgrace,Hornets should reimburse those loyal supporters who traveled across the Pennines to watch that performance. There`s obviously a problem with attitude and discipline among the players,but I thought a decent coach would`ve sorted that out long ago. One win in the Shield,even getting beat by the two relegated sides sums up a very poor season overall. I guess some will say at least we didn`t get relegated,well,we will next season if those blokes take to the park in 2018. 

Yes, we had a pretty ###### shield run-in - but we stayed up! That was always the target for this season. And we achieved it.

Yes, the Bradford game was a shocker, but it was a dead rubber and we were down to our last fit players. And Bradford can celebrate all they want that they 'went out on a high' - i'd rather stay in on a low.

Everyone had us nailed on for relegation this year and we've proved all of them wrong. We finished above two established championship sides - and beat Bradford twice WHEN IT MATTERED.

Yes, losing at Bradford and getting a soaking wasn't the best way to end the year, but I'd rather be where we are then where Bradford and Oldham are.

One awful result in a season where we've confounded the odds and stayed up.

Embarrassed? You should all be delighted. Yes, it's been a scramble and an ugly scrap, but we got there through hard work, unity and belief.

We went up as champions and stayed up. Your team - your club! - has done you proud this season.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

We've had only 2 forwards on the bench for several weeks now and actually played really well against Swinton and Sheffield.  But, yesterday, losing Mitch early on left us down to just 1 forward on the bench.  Then the sin bins left us with 10 men and only 3 players in the pack (Hatton, Crowley and Case) for a good 8 minutes.  So it's no wonder we crumbled. In that scenario, against a full time side, we wouldn't have a chance in the energy battle.

Mr Sweet or rather sour ruined the game.We did beat them twice home and away.The lads joined us for a drink in the Flyer after the game,Its been a great season imo. we stayed up,grreat win at the bash and started off like an house on fire.If some carpers don't like it,well there u go.You can tell the players how bad they are at the end of season do at the Flyer on Friday.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just read the " These Lads Can Run For 80 Minutes " report. We had a player sin binned for dissent when we were already down to 11 ?  That's absolutely crazy. As I said earlier discipline or the lack of it has been our Achilles heel all season.

We can't have a repeat of this next season.

We wont be playing them next season, they will be at Hemel,Skolars South Wales etc.

1 hour ago, Hornetto said:

Yes, we had a pretty ###### shield run-in - but we stayed up! That was always the target for this season. And we achieved it.

Yes, the Bradford game was a shocker, but it was a dead rubber and we were down to our last fit players. And Bradford can celebrate all they want that they 'went out on a high' - i'd rather stay in on a low.

Everyone had us nailed on for relegation this year and we've proved all of them wrong. We finished above two established championship sides - and beat Bradford twice WHEN IT MATTERED.

Yes, losing at Bradford and getting a soaking wasn't the best way to end the year, but I'd rather be where we are then where Bradford and Oldham are.

One awful result in a season where we've confounded the odds and stayed up.

Embarrassed? You should all be delighted. Yes, it's been a scramble and an ugly scrap, but we got there through hard work, unity and belief.

We went up as champions and stayed up. Your team - your club! - has done you proud this season.

Good post,spot on.You stayed up,always the aim in this division, we did it last year,this year we didn't. That's life.Chuffed for whoever plays for you as they get two trips abroad. Good luck next season.

Certainly delighted that we have stayed up and we may well have (probably should have) finished higher.  Results are results but, unfortunately, the headline aspect this season has been discipline, or lack of it, and it has not improved.   Ok, we could have been judged on reputation at times as the season progressed. Some decisions were proven (later) to have been wrong with key matches lost as a result.   However, given our injury situation it was surely paramount yesterday to attempt to keep the ref sweet and certainly dissent in the situation was a no brainer.

Now we can look forward to another (tougher) season in the Championship, so well done for that achievement.   Our rebuilding for what will come our way will be interesting.  Needs:-  big - quick - creative - defense - team - and,  discipline come to mind!

I .dont understand what u mean by keeping Sweet sweet The guy was a disgrace.Unless you have a good few grand you'd like to contribute to the cause where are these players going to come from? Have you joined the membership club? every little helps.

20 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Certainly delighted that we have stayed up and we may well have (probably should have) finished higher.  Results are results but, unfortunately, the headline aspect this season has been discipline, or lack of it, and it has not improved.   Ok, we could have been judged on reputation at times as the season progressed. Some decisions were proven (later) to have been wrong with key matches lost as a result.   However, given our injury situation it was surely paramount yesterday to attempt to keep the ref sweet and certainly dissent in the situation was a no brainer.

Now we can look forward to another (tougher) season in the Championship, so well done for that achievement.   Our rebuilding for what will come our way will be interesting.  Needs:-  big - quick - creative - defense - team - and,  discipline come to mind!

5 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

What bloody disgrace,Hornets should reimburse those loyal supporters who traveled across the Pennines to watch that performance. There`s obviously a problem with attitude and discipline among the players,but I thought a decent coach would`ve sorted that out long ago. One win in the Shield,even getting beat by the two relegated sides sums up a very poor season overall. I guess some will say at least we didn`t get relegated,well,we will next season if those blokes take to the park in 2018. 

What a smug condescending self satisfied piece, are you a Man U supporter by any chance?

The headline has to be mission accomplished this season, in that we stayed up, but yesterdays result and a few other issues do elude to some fundamental underlying problems that need to be addressed (IMO) and also a bit of wish list for 2018.

• Over the last couple of years when we want to play we can do and show grit, determination and no little desire, particularly defensively which is something we've lacked for many a year - Huge plus point However there appears to be a bit of a 'cant be arsed attitude' that's crept in these last few months; yesterday is embarrassing, but I got the impression we'd put the cue in the rack after the Swinton win anyway. We need to address this next year and strive for better consistency the great news is the league will be even more competitive next season. Do we have a fundamental motivation issue? I'm not so sure about that, but it needs looking at. Batley, Halifax, Feath etc. week in week out will turn out and put a fair shift and and come at you with there A game showing dogged determination week on week win lose or draw and its that consistency we must strive for now.
  • Discipline has been a huge issue all season. like it or not we are getting something wrong, petulance, lack of experience call it whatever but its simply not good enough and needs to be addressed our discipline stat must be about the worst in the league, yet I genuinely don't see us as an overly physical team (or a dirty team for that matter) but refs do seem to get fed up with us much quicker that the opposition and we have now got a reputation within the league.
  • Referee bashing, lets give up and move on, yes we've been on the end of some poor decisions this year but the standard of refereeing in general has been poor for all, so as above lets look internally at what we are doing. I got fed up with 'the fans were great, but the ref cost us the game' feedback at the end of games this season.
  • Goal kicker, can we please invest / look to sign a proper goal / field kicker, I guess we've been spoilt with the GG in recent seasons but Palfrey has been poor kicking wise, this year when he played and Yates did his best but we need consistency in that area.
  • Stand-off. Yates has been great at 7 but we've not had a proper number six to support him al year, whether its been through injury or ability I don't think Palf has worked out like we'd expect it too. you look at some of the more experienced half backs from across the Pennines that  we come up against (Scott Murrell et.al at Fax and your Batley's and Sheffield's) that have a wand of a boot but don't do much else but drag there teams around the park. A player in this mould would do wonders for Yates and the team, but I get that these guys come at a price that we might not be able to match

It might seem harsh complaining, we stayed up which is awesome and something that we all focused on but I reckon with some deep reflection and a couple of decent signings mid-table in well within our reach. Let's use the Biffos as a case in point they stayed up last year but failed to build on it and now find themselves in the dreaded championship 1 (BTW I'd have that pantomime villain George Tyson off them if he's available)

Just my observations on the season past and to come, with some careful planning next year can be another year of progress

Just now, ormskirknet said:

The headline has to be mission accomplished this season, in that we stayed up, but yesterdays result and a few other issues do elude to some fundamental underlying problems that need to be addressed (IMO) and also a bit of wish list for 2018.

• Over the last couple of years when we want to play we can do and show grit, determination and no little desire, particularly defensively which is something we've lacked for many a year - Huge plus point However there appears to be a bit of a 'cant be arsed attitude' that's crept in these last few months; yesterday is embarrassing, but I got the impression we'd put the cue in the rack after the Swinton win anyway. We need to address this next year and strive for better consistency the great news is the league will be even more competitive next season. Do we have a fundamental motivation issue? I'm not so sure about that, but it needs looking at. Batley, Halifax, Feath etc. week in week out will turn out and put a fair shift and and come at you with there A game showing dogged determination week on week win lose or draw and its that consistency we must strive for now.
  • Discipline has been a huge issue all season. like it or not we are getting something wrong, petulance, lack of experience call it whatever but its simply not good enough and needs to be addressed our discipline stat must be about the worst in the league, yet I genuinely don't see us as an overly physical team (or a dirty team for that matter) but refs do seem to get fed up with us much quicker that the opposition and we have now got a reputation within the league.
  • Referee bashing, lets give up and move on, yes we've been on the end of some poor decisions this year but the standard of refereeing in general has been poor for all, so as above lets look internally at what we are doing. I got fed up with 'the fans were great, but the ref cost us the game' feedback at the end of games this season.
  • Goal kicker, can we please invest / look to sign a proper goal / field kicker, I guess we've been spoilt with the GG in recent seasons but Palfrey has been poor kicking wise, this year when he played and Yates did his best but we need consistency in that area.
  • Stand-off. Yates has been great at 7 but we've not had a proper number six to support him al year, whether its been through injury or ability I don't think Palf has worked out like we'd expect it too. you look at some of the more experienced half backs from across the Pennines that  we come up against (Scott Murrell et.al at Fax and your Batley's and Sheffield's) that have a wand of a boot but don't do much else but drag there teams around the park. A player in this mould would do wonders for Yates and the team, but I get that these guys come at a price that we might not be able to match

It might seem harsh complaining, we stayed up which is awesome and something that we all focused on but I reckon with some deep reflection and a couple of decent signings mid-table in well within our reach. Let's use the Biffos as a case in point they stayed up last year but failed to build on it and now find themselves in the dreaded championship 1 (BTW I'd have that pantomime villain George Tyson off them if he's available)

Just my observations on the season past and to come, with some careful planning next year can be another year of progress

Good post, I can't argue with any of that.  

I agree we aren't a physical team, in some ways I wish we were, but for some reason the officials in most games have been on our case. This has been obvious almost right from the beginning of the season. The farcical sin binning at the end of the Batley away game that almost certainly cost us the game and two points is a classic example.

Having said that this is the situation we find ourselves in. The coach has said on many occasions that he intends to speak to the powers that be regarding referees but one way or another nothing seems to change and at nearly every game at some point we're playing with 12 players.

As I said earlier this has got to be sorted out for next season, Toronto are strengthening and there won't be another Bradford to take up one of the relegation places.

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Good post,spot on.You stayed up,always the aim in this division, we did it last year,this year we didn't. That's life.Chuffed for whoever plays for you as they get two trips abroad. Good luck next season.

Cheers M.R. You too.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

3 hours ago, glemiln said:

I'm not so convinced discipline was such a key factor through the season. Ever since we played Saint Dennis Betts and his team of alter boys we have been slated for discipline. Betts called us a team of thugs, not once, not twice but every time he opened his bluddy mouth. The RL press repeated it and the world were convinced we were thugs. Referees were coming to Hornets with that thought implanted in their heads that Hornets were a team of thugs and we suffered for it. How many times have the decisions against us been proved incorrect. The lads play hard, and I for one think they have  had a great season battling against the odds to finish still in the championship. Well done, as a supporter, I cannot fault any one of you.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

https://youtu.be/r__Brcf_quo

Honest appraisal of today and the season by Alan Kilshaw.  Some players moving on and incoming players seem to be near to announcement.  Hopefully, some added 'nous'', beef' and extra pace for this level - ( Mick Hornet - within budget of course - no spare £ here mate! ) - and passionate for the shirt.

PS> News that Kevin Penny and Matty Blythe will be leaving Warrington at the end of the season!  That's about 8 cleared out to make way for their new coach's recruitment drive.

9 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

We where set to go down in everyone's mind even with Bradford's 12 point deduction we where still bottom of the league in a lot of pundits minds and we finished 9th also beating Bradford home and away for the first time in 50 years, our record stands at 3-1-1 against Oldham this year so idk what you mean by a poor overall season.

We stayed up and that's the main thing, we had to do it the hard way at times but we did what we needed to do in saying that there are real problems I feel we need to address, these are just my opinions from going to all but one of the games horents have played all season I am not trying to become part of the coaching staff or anything, feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

The forwards: We need bigger forwards who can push through the line and get hard yards, we have done it at times this year but we need to do it at a more sustained rate both in a game and the amount of games in a season we do it. especially against teams like Batley and Dewsbury, who we will need to beat possibly home and away if we want to stay up next season and who have had our number for most of the season except for two times, the win against Dewsbury and the fist defeat against Batley was because our forwards put in the work and set them on the back foot.

Number 6: lets be honest while I respect what Danny Yates  has done this year we are under no illusions we need a kicker and one fast,  Lewis Palfrey has failed as a kicker and needs to be gotten rid of, his kicking cost us at Swinton and has cost us at other places aswell we cannot stay up unless we get a kicker, the trouble is where are we going to get one.

Overall leadership: I don't know if its a problem with the captaincy (look at the last point for my feelings on him), or something deeper but I don't think there has been a real leader this season, with less communication than last year and less people taking charge, both for the full game or just for a spur of the moment play, the most anyone seems to have seen our lot talk was when they where less than polite with each other in the Dewsbury loss in the championship shield 8s . it seems less people wearing a hornet shirt want to take charge of the hornet team. I feel Chris Riley has underperformed this year I know he has been injured and has other commitments  but when he has been there he has not been the voice of reason or an old head that I thought he would be.

For me I believe Miles Greenwood has not performed on the pitch the way we wanted him to, I think he has done wonders behind the scenes and I believe that it is our fitness that as helped us win teams like Oldham and Swinton but as a player I think he is not good enough.

Will Jono be here next session, while I dont fault his commitment I think he has found this session tough and has been targeted and his ball handling has let him down, at times you could say that has happened to all the players but it still is no excuse and is the pace of the game to much for him.

2 hours ago, The Baron Mk11 said:

I'm not so convinced discipline was such a key factor through the season. Ever since we played Saint Dennis Betts and his team of alter boys we have been slated for discipline. Betts called us a team of thugs, not once, not twice but every time he opened his bluddy mouth. The RL press repeated it and the world were convinced we were thugs. Referees were coming to Hornets with that thought implanted in their heads that Hornets were a team of thugs and we suffered for it. How many times have the decisions against us been proved incorrect. The lads play hard, and I for one think they have  had a great season battling against the odds to finish still in the championship. Well done, as a supporter, I cannot fault any one of you.

Quite true Baron.We have been slandered by other teams,And it did start with Betts who knows they might be joining us.

Archived