Whitehaven

dhuggybear

Hi Skip, seems our psychology differs somewhat and i love it that we are 'a local homeshow', lol. You coming over next year?

18 minutes ago, TMF said:

Hi Skip, seems our psychology differs somewhat and i love it that we are 'a local homeshow', lol. You coming over next year?

OMG LOL.  A homeshow over here is when a bunch of home improvement retailers & manufacturers get together to have an event which the public can attend, to view their products, obtain special pricing, etc.  The Toronto Homeshow is the largest in Canada, and probably costs $20 to enter.  But a smaller such show in a suburb might have free tickets in order to attract attendees.

Yes, I would like to get over next year.  I suspect at some point one of the TWP supporters or TWP themselves will think about organizing an away trip.  My passport is about to expire so I have to go through the agony of renewal for it - our border services have adopted the paranoia of our neighbours to the south so its not the easy undertaking it used to be. 

BTW. it took me a bit to realize that when you were using "skipper" you were referencing me.  The "Captain" has no nautical connotation although given the strong naval history of the UK I can understand why it might be interpreted as such.  I will make certain that when I do arrive at a game I wear a shirt with "Captain Survival" showing in big bold letters.....

Lol, and I can assure you, you will be welcomed at every game you go to. That's the 'family' for you.

True millomite, it's just that we haven't done much. Said it before and i'll say it again, we should benchmark what other clubs are doing. And then, with the intelligence in this area we add a bit more and bingo!

On 9/24/2017 at 3:28 PM, TMF said:

Ah, wonderofwood, thanks for clarifying my question.  So it's true? So if Toronto declare a crowd of 8500. it might only be 2000, or less? Do the RL know this? Do the people collecting stats know this? do the Canadian supporters know this? Can anybody on that side of the pond tell us what's going on?

Free tickets handed out before a game? What the hell is going on here and i would like an answer from the RL.

That is complete and utter tosh. I have been to almost every game and free tickets are not being handed out. The sponsors might have a small quota of free tickets to give out, but that it true of every club. Despite what some "friend" has told you. Sounds like another Barrow smear campaign against Toronto. Anyhow, you have a great team and deserve to be promoted on the weekend. good luck!

19 hours ago, Captain Survival said:

@TMF None Taken!  I only ever saw mention of this in the post by WonderofWoods above plus your prior comment in this thread.  But having been a banker in a past life for a number of years (started off in retail and worked my way up and through commercial, real estate, corporate, etc) I was simply observing that the psychology here is that this would not IMHO be a very successful tactic for a professional sports team.  For say a local homeshow it might work. 

In any case I do understand that it might work in the UK, and perhaps even in a smaller center here.  But in a major city like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, I would be very skeptical of success.

As  I noted, I never even heard a whiff of mention of free tickets, from any other fans on this forum or elsewhere.  By our standards, the price of attending a TWP game was very inexpensive.  I don't recall it even on the TWP facebook or twitter feeds.

I was in the Brazen Head pub with the rest of the Raiders fans for the first game, about 20 of us.

We were having a few beers and photos with the girlfriend of one of the players and she gave us ALL free match tickets.

Nice touch I thought!

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

20 hours ago, TMF said:

True millomite, it's just that we haven't done much. Said it before and i'll say it again, we should benchmark what other clubs are doing. And then, with the intelligence in this area we add a bit more and bingo!

I agree in part. it comes down to resources. Mainly monetary but also having someone to implement them. See my other post on the HOW TO GET A BIG CROWD IN....topic

Theres so few of us, all who work FT and volunteers who do it for nothing.

The easy answer is 'pay someone to do it' but would you rather have a great team or a great team or a great marketing team. its tough. We all try our best. We need more people to help the club out. lots of people pulling together doing little bits.

Pete Murphy

Commercial Manager

Barrow Raiders RLFC

themurphstar@gmail.com

16 hours ago, Sempur said:

I was in the Brazen Head pub with the rest of the Raiders fans for the first game, about 20 of us.

We were having a few beers and photos with the girlfriend of one of the players and she gave us ALL free match tickets.

Nice touch I thought!

This wouldn't surprise me. The Wolfpack organisation have been going out of their way to cater to travelling fans. The supporters of many have been invited to David Argyle's restaurant the night before the games to dine for free. Thanks for coming over, hope you will be with us next year too.

I see Karl Foster is ratcheting up the nonsense as he is quoted in the Whitehaven News as follows

"It'll be typical Barrow, they will be thinking it's an easy game for them. We'll let them do all the talking. We're not too fussed about them as long as we've got our game plan sorted.

Don't think it was Barrow that said the above!

Cresta is on record as saying anyone can win it. 

Lets just enjoy the fact that 2 Cumbrian teams are in the play off final. 

Leave the wind ups/psychology to  Premier League Football Karl.

foggieraider13.gif

On 26/09/2017 at 5:50 AM, ojx said:

That is complete and utter tosh. I have been to almost every game and free tickets are not being handed out. The sponsors might have a small quota of free tickets to give out, but that it true of every club. Despite what some "friend" has told you. Sounds like another Barrow smear campaign against Toronto. Anyhow, you have a great team and deserve to be promoted on the weekend. good luck!

There's absouloutley nothing wrong with giving out free tickets?  Are you implying I said there was?  Not sure who your rant was aimed at but I can assure you that free tickets are available as they are for some in the England. As for a smear campaign!  That's a bit strong ojx

14 hours ago, foggieraider13 said:

I see Karl Foster is ratcheting up the nonsense as he is quoted in the Whitehaven News as follows

"It'll be typical Barrow, they will be thinking it's an easy game for them. We'll let them do all the talking. We're not too fussed about them as long as we've got our game plan sorted.

Don't think it was Barrow that said the above!

Cresta is on record as saying anyone can win it. 

Lets just enjoy the fact that 2 Cumbrian teams are in the play off final. 

Leave the wind ups/psychology to  Premier League Football Karl.

Karl Foster has nothing to do with Whitehaven marra!!

16 hours ago, wonderofwood said:

There's absouloutley nothing wrong with giving out free tickets?  Are you implying I said there was?  Not sure who your rant was aimed at but I can assure you that free tickets are available as they are for some in the England. As for a smear campaign!  That's a bit strong ojx

It aimed was more at TMF who was suggesting the paid crowd was less than 2000, which is clearly absolute nonsense. Sorry might have got the two posts confused together. Best of luck this Sunday, hopefully you'll be back for some more free tickets next year.

23 minutes ago, ojx said:

It aimed was more at TMF who was suggesting the paid crowd was less than 2000, which is clearly absolute nonsense. Sorry might have got the two posts confused together. Best of luck this Sunday, hopefully you'll be back for some more free tickets next year.

Sorry ojx, probably not explaining better what i meant, my bad. I didn't suggest the paid crowd was less than 2000. As some people who were there said, they were giving out free tickets, (some even for buying a pint?) I'm just wondering how clubs do arrive at gate figures? That goes for this country as well mate.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:45 AM, TMF said:

Sorry ojx, probably not explaining better what i meant, my bad. I didn't suggest the paid crowd was less than 2000. As some people who were there said, they were giving out free tickets, (some even for buying a pint?) I'm just wondering how clubs do arrive at gate figures? That goes for this country as well mate.

Congrats to Barrow. Definitely well deserved over the season. Let me know if you are over here next season, should be able to wrangle you some more free tickets. Cheers.

Lol, Honest? I'm saving up.

Archived