30th Sept : The Million Pound Game : Leigh Centurions v Catalans Dragons K.O. 3pm Sky TV

Discuss the Million Pound Game between Leigh Centurions and Catalans Dragons here.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Leigh by lots and lots of points.

Eighteen separate threads on TRL about the future of rugby league by the end of the day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

French Catalans ignore coaching instructions in the last twenty minutes and play with flair. Greg Bird realises the Million Pound game is all about him as that's his wages for the next three years of his contract and scores the winning try. 

Threads about the Championship losing the opportunity to rebrand itself the Atlantic Inter-City League.

Brexit vote reversed.

I hope that the Leigh players do not collectivly leave one once of energy on the field, that they come together as one and play the game of their lives, having the game sewn up by half time would be preferable, but winning in the last second will do, any scenario really, not bothered just as long as we win. 

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I really have no idea what the outcome of this game will be but can confidently predict that many others will confirm that they were right all along, after the match that is.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Would feel much better going into this with Hock Higham Acton Patterson Langi Mortimer and Browne available. Cats are better on paper, Leigh will have home 'advantage' and momentum. Again there seems more interest in this game than the SL semis, so lets hope for no controversy and that the better team wins

Outside of the Leigh fans who are understandably nervous about a huge game, is there anyone genuinely tipping Cats to win this because it's what they think will happen rather than what they want to happen? Not saying it will be a walkover, but confidence in the Dragons seem to be in short supply. 

I'll also add the best wishes to both sets of fans - from experience an absolute stinker to lose.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I quite agree JHF. I watched at home, and the last 8 minutes were awfully tense!

It's quite ironic that we were relegated in 2005, to let Catalans into Super League, even though we never finished bottom of the league, and this season we finished bottom, managed to survive the Qualifiers, and Cats may go down after not finishing bottom.

I also believe Cats had he second highest wage bill in SL this season!

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

11 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Having witnessed our escape last Saturday and the emotions that went with it I offer my best wishes to the supporters of both clubs.

One horrible experience.

You want to try two games of that magnitude lost by a dodgy drop goal and an unbelievable set of events of the last echelons of the match to lose another. Believe me, your experience was 1/10th of what we went through last year. 

58 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Heartlanders 22-8 Expansionists

Any news on ticket sales?  Hopefully the attendance will reflect some of the passion shown on here.

Should be hanging from the rafters even though they won't bring any, because of the jeopardy element.

Catalan should already be hanging their heads in shame for being in this position in the first place. Maybe they can summon up some pride.

Having to see your team playing in this game is bad enough but losing is horrible and I feel for both sets of supporters.

I just cannot see Catalans winning. They have been dreadful all year and home advantage for Leigh will be massive. Even if Catalans did go for goal to get the draw against Widnes I still don't think that they would win.

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Having to see your team playing in this game is bad enough but losing is horrible and I feel for both sets of supporters.

I just cannot see Catalans winning. They have been dreadful all year and home advantage for Leigh will be massive. Even if Catalans did go for goal to get the draw against Widnes I still don't think that they would win.

I was at the Million Penny game between Swinton-Oldham a few weeks ago and it's not great to see people upset, but it is part of sport.

To be fair a lot of the Roughyeds fans said the Swinton fans were pretty empathetic after the game and didn't rub it in.

Lets hope the same thing happens at the weekend.

It's really hard to see the Catalans showing up in this game out of the blue, when was the last time they gave it an honest effort? Leigh will win by a big margin, 20+ points, as I see the Catalans crumbling once they get behind a few tries and realize it's over.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Heartlanders 22-8 Expansionists

Any news on ticket sales?  Hopefully the attendance will reflect some of the passion shown on here.

North sold out, west 95% with only  really 1 block having tickets left. All ground open and selling - if any fancy it East stand is offering 1 adult and 1 U18 for £20, and multiples thereafter. A guess would be about 6500 sold so far

Archived