Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

30th Sept : The Million Pound Game : Leigh Centurions v Catalans Dragons K.O. 3pm Sky TV

37 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Have you not got something better to do, crack a few tinnies or cook some sausages or something;), everyone is tipping a clear Leigh win, and we all now what happens to clear favourites, and nobody say they useually win, please.

Weather absolutely attrocious with downpours today in Leigh, not expected to improve much, and forecast to pour down tomorrow morning and all through the match. 

McNamara ball from both sides then 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

That + nerves = Excitement galore!

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

15 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

OK then, just so long as you promise not to throw the ball about, make every pass stick and run like the wind!

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

21 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Fair play about Thornley. Wigan don't make bad assessments. I still feel he dosent have game breaker about him though.

I would go Myler at FB, Tierney, Inu, duport, yaha, Albert, Walsh in the backs with williame on the bench.

Got to take some risks here 

Inu I feel is class just needs to be focused. If losing his job isn't enough what is? Face it alot of the Cats who haven't found a Club for next year already wont easily find one  given their showing this year....food for thought. 

Cats by 4pts.  Watch.

Might be that, who knows.  I think Myler will be hooker deputy.  That right side is very weak in defence.  

I read, somewhere, that immediately after the Leigh win over Catalans, the Cats agents were immediately offering players to Leigh for next season!

As a critic of S8s and by association the MPG I reluctantly admit this game is great theatre. Bring it on. 

14 hours ago, Frog said:

As a critic of S8s and by association the MPG I reluctantly admit this game is great theatre. Bring it on. 

As somebody who likes P&R I think this game is too much. It feels very uncomfortable to watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As somebody who likes P&R I think this game is too much. It feels very uncomfortable to watch.

Matches like this appeal to a much wider audience I feel. Much prefer this to playing in a championship final with no promotion. 

If Leigh lose at least we had a fairly good year (much better than the 2005 disaster), with good crowds and notable scalps against our rivals. Assuming tge same format remains, next year in the second tier will still be exciting. Maybe we'll see two or three teams go up next year because Wakey, Salford and Widnes are on borrowed time.

9 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Matches like this appeal to a much wider audience I feel. Much prefer this to playing in a championship final with no promotion. 

If Leigh lose at least we had a fairly good year (much better than the 2005 disaster), with good crowds and notable scalps against our rivals. Assuming tge same format remains, next year in the second tier will still be exciting. Maybe we'll see two or three teams go up next year because Wakey, Salford and Widnes are on borrowed time.

Agree with your first statement, today is full of exitement and trepidation in equal amounts and throughout the RL viewing public they will all have the team they favour to win and maybe get involved with, I know that I did in the first two MPG's I thought they were superb theatre to watch.

Please do not go there in what you say in your last sentence, one great rule in buisness is to never ever rubbish your opposition, you do not get thought of well for it and you do not know if the statements you make will come back to bite you in the ariss.

• Like 1

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

22 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Sort of agree but it's a very negative system we're trying the find the worst team. In the end we celebrate the second to bottom team in the comp. Surely a championship final with promotion is a much more positive way to decide promotion. I final is a very cruel place to lose when you add in the possibility of losing your livelihood as well are we pushing the players too far. 

Prediction: Leigh 34 Catalan 6

I think Leigh will target the Catalan defensive weaknesses of Walsh and the back 3 and pile on pressure with their big pack and effective kicking game. Home advantage will be important as Catalans don't travel well

I wonder how many Catalans fans will make the trip for the biggest game in their history - will it be the normal empty stand or might they scratch together a coach full

Come on Leigh, give em what they deserve

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Wakey have been on borrowed time since 1998. They always find a way! It is quite remarkable they've survived 19 years without a relegation. Things look pretty bleak for Salford with Koukash gone but you never know. As for Widnes, much depends on whether they'll accept the wake up call of this season. Unbelievably, they've had this perception, based on the first 7 games of last year, that we are really a top 5/6 team who were unlucky in games last year. The exact opposite was true. 

I'll be rooting for Catalans today but I certainly won't be pleased to see my old arch nemesis Leigh go down. In many ways they are the fly in the ointment of those wanting a closed shop, often for patronising reasons. The idea that the game is strong enough to essentially write off clubs like Leigh, with a passionate fan base, is ludicrous.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I think Leigh will target the Catalan defensive weaknesses of Walsh and the back 3 and pile on pressure with their big pack and effective kicking game. Home advantage will be important as Catalans don't travel well

I wonder how many Catalans fans will make the trip for the biggest game in their history - will it be the normal empty stand or might they scratch together a coach full

Probably a similar number to what we took to Catalans last week only they've had a week's notice.

14 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Ha I don't expect a scoreline anything like that. 

No predictions from me, what will be will be, I just know I'll do my bit from the terraces. 

Come on Leigh 

3 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Ha I don't expect a scoreline anything like that. 

No predictions from me, what will be will be, I just know I'll do my bit from the terraces. 

Come on Leigh 

I think it'll be much closer than anticipated. Catalans showed more determination in the Widnes game and I suspect they'll give it their all. Whether it'll be enough, I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think it'll be much closer than anticipated. Catalans showed more determination in the Widnes game and I suspect they'll give it their all. Whether it'll be enough, I don't know.

My thoughts exactly, I expect them to play the same way & I don't think we can match them over 80minutes in that department. 

We need to throw the ball about,  keep turning them round and tire them out. 

Just hoping last week's game VS widnes took a hell of a lot out of them

Just been reading some comments about how bad this format is, how it affects peoples livelihoods  how cruel it is for one game to decide were you are playing next season.Na bring it on.

A lot better than going out with a whimper knowing your relegated at the end (or before the end) of the regular season as Widnes would have been.

Its a cup final where you can sink or swim and you really only have yourself to blame for being in this position.

Under the old format Catalans would have survived yet people are saying how bad they have been this season.Maybe this system does really find the worst of the worst .

Before anyone starts I have been there done that in 1981 with a 21-20 win at HKR to give us a chance of staying up.Celebrations were cut short when the news came through that Barrow had also won at Warrington (two coupon busting results on the same day !!!!)  meaning we were relegated with one game to go (which by coincidence was away to  Barrow ,which would have been the equivalent to today's Miliion pound game..OK 50 quid game in those days :-) )  Not a great feeling but part and parcel of the game back then as is the Million pound game now.

Look at the excitement and anticipation this game is once again is generating even among neutral fans.

Catalans by 4 ;-)

Edited by yanto
  • Like 1