Coaches position advertised

Ginock1

21 minutes ago, wonky said:

We need a fresh face, with contacts outside of the county. Yes we need locals but we also need quality travellers to pad the squad out, there isn't enough quality locals wanting to turn pro, and some of last seasons locals just aren't up to scratch to push for promotion, which surely either this year or next has to be the goal. 

???

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/09/2017 at 1:48 PM, DavidM said:

The downside to that is it's the riskiest option to

When the coaches contacts decide to move on as offers without the travelling come about the teams back to square 1. Build from the bottom up. Get a good local structure of players and let them play. If town got promoted next season does anyone believe we would be anything other than trying to survive. They need to go for promotion when the foundations there to stay in the next division. Travellers get promotion and leave and inexperienced players are left with the flack of getting relegated the following season. Give the local lads that sign as much gametime as they can at this level and dont leave them out for the sake of a quick fix who aint gonna spend more than a season there

13 minutes ago, bs77 said:

When the coaches contacts decide to move on as offers without the travelling come about the teams back to square 1. Build from the bottom up. Get a good local structure of players and let them play. If town got promoted next season does anyone believe we would be anything other than trying to survive. They need to go for promotion when the foundations there to stay in the next division. Travellers get promotion and leave and inexperienced players are left with the flack of getting relegated the following season. Give the local lads that sign as much gametime as they can at this level and dont leave them out for the sake of a quick fix who aint gonna spend more than a season there

Some good points Brett but how many of the top amateurs are willing to turn semi pro? Also we need some outsiders to keep the product on the pitch appealing to fans.

1 minute ago, town4me said:

Some good points Brett. However how many of the top amateurs are willing to turn semi pro.

Good question. But how many have and not had gametime as well. I could name a good few. Now theres no second team they are threw in and its sink or swim. Theres lads signed and not got a look in. Thats why they dont stay. How many do you reckon would have stuck at it if they were given chance. Its the only way to improve. Play. They could sign a top amateur and not play him and the lad dosnt play rugby. Hows that gonna develop them. Yet 10 games into a season they will be expected to play when needed. Do you think they are gonna be in any shape to make an impression. I just believe because of location town need to build from the bottom and produce players that will eventually get promoted and be able to compete. 

14 minutes ago, bs77 said:

Good question. But how many have and not had gametime as well. I could name a good few. Now theres no second team they are threw in and its sink or swim. Theres lads signed and not got a look in. Thats why they dont stay. How many do you reckon would have stuck at it if they were given chance. Its the only way to improve. Play. They could sign a top amateur and not play him and the lad dosnt play rugby. Hows that gonna develop them. Yet 10 games into a season they will be expected to play when needed. Do you think they are gonna be in any shape to make an impression. I just believe because of location town need to build from the bottom and produce players that will eventually get promoted and be able to compete. 

A joint reserve side with whitehaven would help. All down to money though 

The game is on its ###### up here... not enough amateurs to make the step up and the one's that are good enough probably dont want to cos they don't get "big money" for signing anymore or they aren't really committed enough... look at kells this week.... nearly a full team gone to Hamburg.... maryport folded.... glasson struggling....Clifton gone.....flimby struggled late on... how many other sides failed to raise a team every week? Not a good standard either, its getting like rugby union, lads in late 30s early 40s playing to get sides, that wouldn't have happened once over.... like I said games on its ###### and all 3 pro clubs in bottom division.... it's that cos no grass roots to fill their teams up? I think so. Look at the successful town and haven sides of recent years.... good quality amateurs and plenty of them in each side.

3 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

The game is on its ###### up here... not enough amateurs to make the step up and the one's that are good enough probably dont want to cos they don't get "big money" for signing anymore or they aren't really committed enough... look at kells this week.... nearly a full team gone to Hamburg.... maryport folded.... glasson struggling....Clifton gone.....flimby struggled late on... how many other sides failed to raise a team every week? Not a good standard either, its getting like rugby union, lads in late 30s early 40s playing to get sides, that wouldn't have happened once over.... like I said games on its ###### and all 3 pro clubs in bottom division.... it's that cos no grass roots to fill their teams up? I think so. Look at the successful town and haven sides of recent years.... good quality amateurs and plenty of them in each side.

I agree that the amateur games on its ###### but that dosnt mean there arent good players. There are some really good players but as you say maybe not the money available. But i know that the risk of not playing week in week out has a bearing on signing. Or signing tjen giving it up. 

3 minutes ago, bs77 said:

I agree that the amateur games on its ###### but that dosnt mean there arent good players. There are some really good players but as you say maybe not the money available. But i know that the risk of not playing week in week out has a bearing on signing. Or signing tjen giving it up. 

I don't think clubs are brave enough to try what you are suggesting.... in theory I agree but its a results based business and fans wasn't success "yesterday" if not crowds dwindle income gets less etc etc..... if town get beat at home thay has an impact on the next home game and a few on the trot and the popular side is like a ghost town... always gonna get the die hard 300 or so but just doesn't generate enough money.... and like you said earlier that's what the game is run on. If all fans were like you and look at the big picture, I totally agree with you but unfortunately the majority wouldn't see it like us. 

16 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

Even the barrow teams in the Cumbria mens league are not as strong as they were a few year ago..... then there's millom, a traditionally strong club struggling.... this list goes on

7 minutes ago, havenhater said:

You need to get the crop of the brow kells and egremeont lads for starters but if there not interested why would the cumberland league lads be?

Why was Liam Campbell playing for hensingham last season being one example. He could have ripped that league apart.

Is he better than Jamie Doran or Carl forber.... possibly - possibly not.... he hasn't exactly been "ripping it up" in a quite poor standard local league never mind championship 1.

Barring Matthew and Richard huby can't really say theres many more front rowers (at suggested clubs... or any other club for that matter)  that would do a job for Town...culnean had been playing prop for kells and how old is he?... cos that's where they have needed strengthened this year. 

12 minutes ago, havenhater said:

Sorry quoted wrong post

Im sure most fans would be happy knowing the team is giving 100% and gaining experience and hopefully developing a sustainable and progressive squad

I hear what you say about having other players come in and give something to watch on the field but lets be fair thats happened over how many years now and wheres the team. Has that helped or been detrimental to the younger players who could have a long career at the club in order to play lads that will jump to the next team willing to pay them every season. 

1 minute ago, bs77 said:

Im sure most fans would be happy knowing the team is giving 100% and gaining experience and hopefully developing a sustainable and progressive squad

I hear what you say about having other players come in and give something to watch on the field but lets be fair thats happened over how many years now and wheres the team. Has that helped or been detrimental to the younger players who could have a long career at the club in order to play lads that will jump to the next team willing to pay them every season. 

No-one is willing to say that they are putting results on hold for 4 or 5 years for the good of the future of the club.... no one will make that stance..... fans haven't got the patience and the club wants to succeed..... they might as well cos it can't get any lower.... too much short sighted-ness

1 minute ago, Anonymouse said:

I cant see any real solution other than DR with conference all 3 teams Kells , Egremont and Brow , thus offering their players a chance to have a game at semi pro and in return when they are short of players then let towns signed on fringe players give them cover .

NCL voted against DR

5 minutes ago, oldrake9 said:

NCL voted against DR

I know , but in my opinion it is the only way , It would also boost the number of kids wishing to play for those 3 clubs at all age groups knowing theres a real local feeder club pathway to Town and Haven if it is pushed at schools . But what do I know .

6 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

I know , but in my opinion it is the only way , It would also boost the number of kids wishing to play for those 3 clubs at all age groups knowing theres a real local feeder club pathway to Town and Haven if it is pushed at schools . But what do I know .

Thing is, right now, truthfully, players at these clubs don't see town as a step up

9 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

A lot to do with not wanting to sacrifice their Saturday's too.

So the NCL lads who every other week set off down the motorway at 9am and sometimes don't get back till after 9pm don't sacrifice their Saturday's ?

Archived