Coaches position advertised

Ginock1

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Derwent said:

Ideally you'd want a player coach who is an experienced half back who's played at a higher level and is looking to cut his teeth as a coach. But they're as rare as hens teeth.

More to do with sacrificing time to themselves. Can have a beer Friday night because of training Sat mornings, cant have a beer sunday because of games Sunday, and unless they work for themselves, cant really have a night out on a Sunday after the game

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

NCL voted against DR

And long may it continue,we've all seen the problems it's caused in the semi pro leagues,what benefit would it bring to the NCL clubs,the premier division is probably the most competative league in the game,it doesn't need or wants DR.

25 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And long may it continue,we've all seen the problems it's caused in the semi pro leagues,what benefit would it bring to the NCL clubs,the premier division is probably the most competative league in the game,it doesn't need or wants DR.

And as you know there's many week's the brow kells and mont are fielding nowhere near their strongest teams due to unavailability just have to look at the game up at kells against the brow 

Apparently a couple of teams do pay some individual players expenses, but not the local clubs, think it is West Hull who have done this for many years, and Thatto this season, 

56 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So the NCL lads who every other week set off down the motorway at 9am and sometimes don't get back till after 9pm don't sacrifice their Saturday's ?

I think Geordie townie meant staying in  on Saturday nights not the commitment of NCL players to their club.... although sometimes that can be questioned too 

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Don't disagree

11 hours ago, oldrake9 said:

I don't think clubs are brave enough to try what you are suggesting.... in theory I agree but its a results based business and fans wasn't success "yesterday" if not crowds dwindle income gets less etc etc..... if town get beat at home thay has an impact on the next home game and a few on the trot and the popular side is like a ghost town... always gonna get the die hard 300 or so but just doesn't generate enough money.... and like you said earlier that's what the game is run on. If all fans were like you and look at the big picture, I totally agree with you but unfortunately the majority wouldn't see it like us. 

Yes , it's great in theory to say we want 25 locals who are all gonna come and be good enough but it's fantasy land nowadays . Every team is a mix , everything is a trade off between locality and success to progress and keep fans engaged . We must be looking to get out of this league ASAP in my opinion , and I just want us to do the best we can to get a progressing , competitive side who can have a dig at that as I'm sick of to often watching dross . Where the players are from is secondary to me , as long as they bust a gut and are good enough to give us a chance 

21 minutes ago, donald said:

And as you know there's many week's the brow kells and mont are fielding nowhere near their strongest teams due to unavailability just have to look at the game up at kells against the brow 

And ?? How would DR have been of benefit,both teams brought in fringe players for the missing regulars,isnt that's what is supposed to happen,it was an entertaining game and the Brow won.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And ?? How would DR have been of benefit,both teams brought in fringe players for the missing regulars,isnt that's what is supposed to happen,it was an entertaining game and the Brow won.

I'm trying to say if haven or town wanted DR with the better conference players it would never work as the local conference teams are struggling week in week out to put their best 17 out and as kells found out this year with Tyrone and troy with DR they could only play for the 2nd team under the rules. Agree with you all 3 do excellent putting teams out week in week out when theres always players missing.

The one thing stopping this is that the top NCL players are not interested in the local semi pro clubs, they have good jobs and enjoy the amateur life style, and after the amateur players who signed this season for both Town and Haven and then returned to there amateur clubs wont help the situation.

43 minutes ago, townie88 said:

Mewse and rooke to seaton. All be it just to get a game. Ben Milburn was with us early doors was he? Don't even think he's playing anymore.

Worthington back to dis. Brocklebank only lasted part of a season before returning to Egremont.  

Mewse and Rooke didnt go back to seaton , they were allowed to play for their ex amateur club for game time under new rfl rules which is a good thing in a squad without a reserve team ., they both go minutes in the last game against haven 

9 minutes ago, townie88 said:

I know that. Just pointing out that they had to go back to the amateur game to get minutes. Which is a great idea by the way.

Something that won't be available to them next year however.

true but fell will have moved on so with a new coach in place they can both try nail a wing birth in pre season training and pre season games , it is now up to those players to raise the bar and impress .

Just seen that at the man of steel awards among those retiring were; Chris Bridge, Rob Burrow, Eorl Crabtree, Gaz Ellis, Andy Lynch and Leon Pryce. Maybe a coach or playing coach ( when we do the annual run short of players trick) would interest some of those?  All have plenty of experience and some speak well on telly.

I'm sure our BOD will have taken the opportunity to speak to Leon already.....

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

16 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

the more well known personality and and star status in the sport then the heftier the price tag and the less money for seasoned semi pro signings 

So are you saying the players are more important than the coach?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Fair enough pal, to a point I wouldn't disagree with you, but I do think it's probably one of the most important appointments the BOD will make this off season and for a while if they get it right. I would have thought a coach on the first rung of the coaching ladder might be interested in coming up here and making their name and would be willing to take a bit of a hit in the pocket if their ambition is strong enough. Then if he gets us promotion he may feel there is still unfinished business until the club is back competing at the top end of the champoinship.

The alternative is a local lad, but unless there's somebody I haven't thought about, I can't name anyone off the top of my head who I think would be the perfect fit. I stand to be corrected on that one though as a local lad might be just be the ticket if he's given a chance.

21 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Fair enough pal, to a point I wouldn't disagree with you, but I do think it's probably one of the most important appointments the BOD will make this off season and for a while if they get it right. I would have thought a coach on the first rung of the coaching ladder might be interested in coming up here and making their name and would be willing to take a bit of a hit in the pocket if their ambition is strong enough. Then if he gets us promotion he may feel there is still unfinished business until the club is back competing at the top end of the champoinship.

The alternative is a local lad, but unless there's somebody I haven't thought about, I can't name anyone off the top of my head who I think would be the perfect fit. I stand to be corrected on that one though as a local lad might be just be the ticket if he's given a chance.

Personally i would be happy if the  charlo rumour is true. Given where the club is ATM.

Archived