Coaches position advertised

Ginock1

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get why you guys, Worky/Haven can't attract local guys? You have teams playing in the top amateur league. The majority of Barrow's squad are locals with none playing at that level. All we did was pick players from local clubs with potential, enthusiasm and the hunger to play for Barrow. All this was done with the collaboration and agreement of the local clubs once the management convinced those clubs it was for the benefit of RL in this area and not an attempt to cherry pick and destroy teams.

We have a situation now where the local amateur clubs come and partake in training with the Barrow squad at CP and help in training routines, get to train in better conditions, talk to fitness coaches, use the gym, get experience of playing against quality players, etc, etc. The clubs love it. it's all about trust between both parties.

Of course, we have been so lucky to have Cresta, a local guy, ex Barrow player, coached at local and national amateur level but most of all, with a passion to bring on young kids and teenagers with a vision to make this the future groundwork for BRLFC. So in my humble opinion guys, you should look for a LOCAL coach, with his finger on the local amateur scene, one who is respected locally but more importantly, backed by a board wiling to allow time for development. It's taken us four seasons to get where we are and we may end up back here again, but hey, we had a great day Sunday. I understand why you might want 'a name' from outside, who may bring in players, at a cost. But how committed will they be? We've all been down that path. We're just used now to seeing local kids, mixed with some experience, thanks to a good board, and it's brilliant. Good luck with your choice. 

You’re last sentence is what we are trying to do anyway ,  and that’ll be with a local or outside coach . Im happy to see what this application process throws up and where it leads . We don’t know who’s thrown their hat in. 

I know, but slightly missing the point Dave. I use one word, a lot. It was the main thrust of the post. If you can afford an outside coach, with outside players with all the associated costs, good luck. Instant success is, well, kind of expensive.

Fans on this forum have short memories, why welcome back a coach who left us in the mire at the start of a new season. Who ever is appointed needs to be a miracle worker with the current state of the club. in my humble opinion I would go for joint coaches Jonty Gorley and Stuart Howarth  (player coach) if he is still at the club.

10 minutes ago, town blue said:

Fans on this forum have short memories, why welcome back a coach who left us in the mire at the start of a new season. Who ever is appointed needs to be a miracle worker with the current state of the club. in my humble opinion I would go for joint coaches Jonty Gorley and Stuart Howarth  (player coach) if he is still at the club.

Good shout that one, whoever gets the job I hope we can retain Jonty on the coaching team.

I would question whether 'state of club' is actually accurate.

Swift decision ref coach.

10-14 days away from naming new coach.

Players who are not on board being moved on. 

Actively resigned players,many more than currently announced I'm led to believe.

& Other positive steps behind the scenes ref recruitment and business development.

GMck was consistent all last season that the BOD were working through many issues and maybe this off season they are in a much better place than last year so I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the next 2 weeks pan out.

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, town4me said:

About what?

Im guessing Davo is referring to Charlos spell at Egremont which didnt go to plan. In tandem with Oggy he done an excellent job as they complimented each other well Charlo as the motivator Oggy as an excellent technical coach. 

Rumour is theres been a high volume of applicants and some good quality CVs at that

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

12 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

Im guessing Davo is referring to Charlos spell at Egremont which didnt go to plan. In tandem with Oggy he done an excellent job as they complimented each other well Charlo as the motivator Oggy as an excellent technical coach. 

Rumour is theres been a high volume of applicants and some good quality CVs at that

Hopefully the rumour is right.  If the club  do go local I personally would be happy with charlo. I know some say don't go back but charlo and a local assistant  could do well. However if there's a high volume it  could be somone from out of the county. 

Rumours from our jam munching friends down the road are that Leon Pryce and King Kenny Kerr have applied to be the coach. Take as big a pinch of salt as you like, I'm just passing the gossip on.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

12 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

Rumours from our jam munching friends down the road are that Leon Pryce and King Kenny Kerr have applied to be the coach. Take as big a pinch of salt as you like, I'm just passing the gossip on.

King Kenny wouldn't be an option. Leon Pryce. Nah. I think the club will go local due to circumstance 

7 hours ago, town4me said:

King Kenny wouldn't be an option. Leon Pryce. Nah. I think the club will go local due to circumstance 

Why wouldn't ken Kerr be an option? He was linked last season too with rumours he wanted to come coach in England.

Archived