Away Attendances

meast

As it's topic that comes up a lot recently for discussion in other threads, here are the away support numbers at Huddersfield this year and some of the numbers for Giants' non existent away support ;)

In numerical order:

Leeds  (RD6)  2,013 out of (8,866)    Fri
Castleford (S8) 1,612,  (6,284)          Fri
Castleford (RD 13) 1,220, (5,566)      Thurs
Wakefield (RD 2) 1,155 (6,337)           Fri
Leeds (S8) 1,165 (6,247)                     Fri
Wakefield (S8) 1,043 (5,429)              Fri
Wigan (RD 19) 1,069 ( 5,718)             Fri
Hull FC (RD 3) 978 ( 5,176)                 Thurs
St Helens (RD 16) 843 (5,660)            Fri
Warrington (RD 17) 682 ( 5,362)        Sun
Leigh (RD 22) 455 ( 5,535)                   Fri
Salford (RD 11) 408 ( 6,017)               Thurs
Widnes (RD 21) 333 (5,253)                Fri
Swinton ( CUP) 100 Approx. ( 1,292) Sun
Catalans (RD 9) Approx. 10 (4,973)    Weds

Huddersfield Away numbers (official numbers only)

Widnes (RD1) 677
Leigh (RD4)  537
St Helens (RD8) 267
Salford (RD20) 540

Interesting figures, thanks for posting them

The numbers are considerably smaller than one might have hoped - especially where you're looking at very nearby clubs. Huddersfield is one of the most accessible grounds as well, straight off the M62

Were the 540 Huddersfield supporters at Salford in the game where the total crowd was only 1405? If so.. 'wow!'

Thanks Meast for posting.  Interesting indeed.  I'm afraid the Catalans figures are understated by a factor of at least ten.  I remember the game well as I was so cold I stood behind big Eorl Crabtree to try and use him as a windbreak.  A delightful chap.

I led a group of 30 who were attending the match as part of the France U16s tour.  There was another group of over 30 from Tonneins, and a third group of a similar number from another French club.  I was also sat with a group of another c20 from the FFR, the Limoux club and sundry UK based supporters.

To my knowledge they all paid full whack for the tickets and my group gave the club shop a mild spanking as well.

The following weekend there were the same French groups plus another junior club in attendance at Leeds Rhinos.

5 hours ago, meast said:

As it's topic that comes up a lot recently for discussion in other threads, here are the away support numbers at Huddersfield this year and some of the numbers for Giants' non existent away support ;)

In numerical order:

Leeds  (RD6)  2,013 out of (8,866)   
Castleford (S8) 1,612,  (6,284)  
Castleford (RD 13) 1,220, (5,566)
Wakefield (RD 2) 1,155 (6,337)
Leeds (S8) 1,165 (6,247)
Wakefield (S8) 1,043 (5,429)
Wigan (RD 19) 1,069 ( 5,718)
Hull FC (RD 3) 978 ( 5,176)
St Helens (RD 16) 843 (5,660)
Warrington (RD 17) 682 ( 5,362)
Leigh (RD 22) 455 ( 5,535)
Salford (RD 11) 408 ( 6,017)
Widnes (RD 21) 333 (5,253)
Swinton ( CUP) 100 Approx. ( 1,292)
Catalans (RD 9) Approx. 10 (4,973)

Huddersfield Away numbers (official numbers only)

Widnes (RD1) 677
Leigh (RD4)  537
St Helens (RD8) 267
Salford (RD20) 540

Hi Meast, it may have told a different picture had you had the day and kick off time and televised or not on the list, as I would expect Thursday and Friday nights especially for supporters traversing the Pennines could have an effect, for example Round 2 Leigh v Leeds Friday 17th Feb 8:00pm K.O. and televised, you state that for the visit of Huddersfield there were 537 at the LSV the Leeds following did not look as big as yours, it was pretty poor to say the least. As was Warrington and Wigan both our nearest neighbours, St Helens were by far the best away following at Leigh

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

21 hours ago, meast said:

Widnes (RD 21) 333 (5,253)

Wish we'd only took 332.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

as a Leeds supporter in that crowd at Huddersfield it certainly seemed a bigger figure than that for our support  but I guess we always look around us and come up with different figures although I would ask how the figures are calculated just as a matter of interest as I have no intention to try and disprove them . 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Hull FC's was a Thursday night fixture, live on Sky, and with the obvious exception of Catalans (who brought over 100 btw ;)), we had the furthest to travel.

(But I was there! :good:)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

8 hours ago, southstand loiner said:

as a Leeds supporter in that crowd at Huddersfield it certainly seemed a bigger figure than that for our support  but I guess we always look around us and come up with different figures although I would ask how the figures are calculated just as a matter of interest as I have no intention to try and disprove them . 

Do any clubs actually have pay through the turnstiles these days, if not I should think it is relatively simple to get a quite accurate figure, firstly there are the ticket sales from the away club, and secondly for the tickets that are sold on the day clubs useually have a portion of their ground that is alloted to the away fans.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

39 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

yes most if not all clubs have pay on the day turnstile's . 

In the Championship yes, but SL?

Why would anyone want to pay on the turnstile, if you buy the away ticket through your own club then they get revenue from each ticket sale, paying at the venue your club doesn't recieve anything for that ticket sale.

there's a lot of people who don't have season tickets or decide to go watch a game if its not raining ect. for myself I went to a game at Wakefield this year who are not a team I support but just fancied going so I paid on the gate . also at times its a hassle going to the club just to save a couple of quid  and if you have them posted out it can be more expensive than paying on the game . only time I bother getting  ticket is when its likely to be a close on sold out game or a final/international so in effect not often. much easier to just pay on the gate .

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

In the Championship yes, but SL?

Why would anyone want to pay on the turnstile, if you buy the away ticket through your own club then they get revenue from each ticket sale, paying at the venue your club doesn't recieve anything for that ticket sale.

I almost always pay through the turnstyle.  Perhaps I am the traditionalist of us two after all?

:D

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 27/09/2017 at 6:10 PM, timtum said:

Thanks Meast for posting.  Interesting indeed.  I'm afraid the Catalans figures are understated by a factor of at least ten.  I remember the game well as I was so cold I stood behind big Eorl Crabtree to try and use him as a windbreak.  A delightful chap.

I led a group of 30 who were attending the match as part of the France U16s tour.  There was another group of over 30 from Tonneins, and a third group of a similar number from another French club.  I was also sat with a group of another c20 from the FFR, the Limoux club and sundry UK based supporters.

To my knowledge they all paid full whack for the tickets and my group gave the club shop a mild spanking as well.

The following weekend there were the same French groups plus another junior club in attendance at Leeds Rhinos.

I just based it on what i saw, if I'm wrong then I'm happy to be corrected!

19 hours ago, southstand loiner said:

They are the official numbers taken from the ticket sales/ turnstile numbers, by no means a dig, but for the size of the home support/club/catchment area/distance etc, Leeds' away crowds at ours in terms of percentages are pretty poor really.

You'd think a club that size, that successful ,that popular and only a few miles down the road would be able to muster at least 2500 every time, but away followings are severely down in the last 3/4/5 years.

5 minutes ago, meast said:

I just based it on what i saw, if I'm wrong then I'm happy to be corrected!

Not a pop at all - we had a wonderful time (apart from the cold).  

A good few junior teams now tour in the UK, along with some of the senior lot for end of season do's.

Our very own Barnyia goes over each year in a mad Monday style with his mob.

2 hours ago, meast said:

They are the official numbers taken from the ticket sales/ turnstile numbers, by no means a dig, but for the size of the home support/club/catchment area/distance etc, Leeds' away crowds at ours in terms of percentages are pretty poor really.

You'd think a club that size, that successful ,that popular and only a few miles down the road would be able to muster at least 2500 every time, but away followings are severely down in the last 3/4/5 years.

fair enough as I said I was not trying to stir up anything just an observation and I fully accept you explanation  of how its arrived at .

my contention has always been its not the away support clubs should be concerned about its the home support and how to grow it something all clubs have trouble with even the so called big clubs really as well when you look at some of the gates 

15 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Hull FC's was a Thursday night fixture, live on Sky, and with the obvious exception of Catalans (who brought over 100 btw ;)), we had the furthest to travel.

(But I was there! :good:)

We all know that Hull fans don't travel much, although with a following wind, some would probably turn up for a semi-final, in somewhere such as Doncaster. :ph34r:

On 29/09/2017 at 7:53 AM, GaryO said:

Do any clubs actually have pay through the turnstiles these days, if not I should think it is relatively simple to get a quite accurate figure, firstly there are the ticket sales from the away club, and secondly for the tickets that are sold on the day clubs useually have a portion of their ground that is alloted to the away fans.

Wigan have cash turnstiles at their home games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

23 minutes ago, Padge said:

Wigan have cash turnstiles at their home games.

Well I seem to have had my question "do clubs still have pay turnstiles" answerd and it is an emphatic yes from those who have replied.

FWIW Padge, through the method of counting i mentioned and Leigh being an all ticket venue the away attendance for Wigan at the LSV was 1410.

Archived