Andrew Fifita dumps Australia for Tonga

Copa

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Manu Ma’u , Fusitua and  Taukeiaho also committed , as well as the other top NRL and former tier one players . Great for Tonga and a shot in the arm for the WC . The players themselves are making the choice and the rules are being used as a two way street . Hopefully more of these teams see strong contingents included , the talent pool is more spread ,and it’ll do the WC the world of good .

Great point. I was saddened when talking to RL fan a few days ago who didn't know the World Cup was on, let alone care much.

Hopefully this coverage invigorates casual fans, and it should certainly up the competitiveness. 

In a roundabout way, RL has opened debate on heritage in an increasingly fluid world, and the much-maligned eligibility rules could accidentally be somewhat of a leading model for the future. 

3 hours ago, B rad said:

Yeah he played for them in 2014. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_Campbell-Gillard

"Campbell-Gillard is of Fijian descent through his mother, Georgina Campbell, who moved to Australia as a child."

"Campbell-Gillard is the cousin of Sims brothers and fellow Fijian internationals Ashton Sims, Tariq Sims and Korbin Sims.[3]"

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

rldfsignature.jpg

The other side of the coin is Mansour being picked for a crocked Boyd , so Lebanon have lost him . If they’d picked Addo Carr it would have been sweet both ways . Big match payments as well is an incentive . All very interesting and publicity ahead of the WC .

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

I think the real question is why are these players turning their nose up at Australia and NZ and choosing to represent Tonga - is it the coach? Can he really be that much of an influence?

Not sure. 
I think maybe they'd prefere to play as leaders of a minnow nation. 
Or they're sincere in their choice. 
But at the end of the day it's good for the World Cup. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

The other side of the coin is Mansour being picked for a crocked Boyd , so Lebanon have lost him . If they’d picked Addo Carr it would have been sweet both ways . Big match payments as well is an incentive . All very interesting and publicity ahead of the WC .

True, but Lebanon still look strong imho. 

The nature of Pacific Island demographics means players by circumstance will play for Aus, kiwi, Tonga or whoever. Just don't continue the Heritage farce with Australian players dumping themselves on other Countries just for the RLWC. It's damaging to the future of the game .Also it's just plain embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Frog said:

The nature of Pacific Island demographics means players by circumstance will play for Aus, kiwi, Tonga or whoever. Just don't continue the Heritage farce with Australian players dumping themselves on other Countries just for the RLWC. It's damaging to the future of the game .Also it's just plain embarrassing.

And how is this happening? 

Does anyone know how much income these players get for playing for Tonga?

I can't imagine it's alot. Same with Fiji and PNG.

It will be interesting to see how the WC plays out. If any team gets within 10 points of 0z I will be suprised.

Sadly England although decent don't look like they will contain Oz. NRL this year has changed and the game they are playing is going to be hard to stop.  

7 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

It will be interesting to see how the WC plays out. If any team gets within 10 points of 0z I will be suprised.

Sadly England although decent don't look like they will contain Oz. NRL this year has changed and the game they are playing is going to be hard to stop.  

English based players will be tired, too, after such a long season. 
But God, I love their halves' combination this time...

21 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

$30 a day for Tonga apparently during the WC

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think I read that Mansour didn’t have want to play for Lebanon 

Just now, Paddsy said:

He must have plenty of cash to throw away 50K match fee for 3K

Maybe it's about more than money and it's actually about pride in the country in question. That's what International Rugby is all about isn't it?

Back to the original thread and Fifita going to Tonga, to play alongside Taumalolo is exactly the sort of story we want at the this stage in the build up to the World Cup. I woke up to messages from mates overnight saying how good tonga was looking... the World Cup can be a springboard for an opening of hearts and minds to the breadth of our great game. While so much hinges on our ability to give the Aussies a run for their money, seeing that the game matters in PNG, France, Tonya, Fiji and Samoa is a major step forward for our game. Of course some other nations will be more of a stretch, but just getting every leaguie more aware of the reach of our game in 2017 will be a major step forward. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Back to the original thread and Fifita going to Tonga, to play alongside Taumalolo is exactly the sort of story we want at the this stage in the build up to the World Cup. I woke up to messages from mates overnight saying how good tonga was looking... the World Cup can be a springboard for an opening of hearts and minds to the breadth of our great game. While so much hinges on our ability to give the Aussies a run for their money, seeing that the game matters in PNG, France, Tonya, Fiji and Samoa is a major step forward for our game. Of course some other nations will be more of a stretch, but just getting every leaguie more aware of the reach of our game in 2017 will be a major step forward. 

You're stretching things a bit there EW. You actually have mates? In the plural?

rldfsignature.jpg

tedesco makes himself available to play for Italy,

best thing here for me is top top nrl talent want to be a big  part of this world cup and the international stage is alight with passion and desire to pull on a shirt of pride, brilliant stuff

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Do you want an International World Cup or a Western Sydney Invitation Event? Having competitive teams may look good but it's not a competition between nations. 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

tedesco makes himself available to play for Italy,

best thing here for me is top top nrl talent want to be a big  part of this world cup and the international stage is alight with passion and desire to pull on a shirt of pride, brilliant stuff

A shirt of pride or a shirt of convenience?

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived