Tongan World Cup Squad

OMEGA

With Jason Taumalolo’s defection to Tonga earlier in the week now being followed by Andrew Fifita the Tonga World Cup Team will be a genuine threat. There’s some genuine World Class players and true International standard players in their squad and if they get their half backs combining well they’ll be a problem for the big 3.

Tonga squad: Andrew Fifita, Mahe Fonua, David Fusitu’a, Siliva Havili, Ata Hingano, Will Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Solomone Kata, Sione Katoa, Samisoni Langi, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sika Manu, Manu Ma’u, Sam Moa, Ben Murdoch Masila, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai junior, Ukuma Ta’ai, Sio Siua Taukieaho, Jason Taumalolo, Peni Terepo, Daniel Tupou, Manu Vatuvei.

They had good backs and some strong forwards in 2013 but nothing linking the two . They have Hingano and Lolohea now , and are even stronger around them . I’m really looking forward to seeing them play and if they can play to the sum of their parts and put it together for a controlled 80 ,  which is the big challenge ... Tonga for the WC is actually on Oddscheckers list of most popular bets . 25/1 on betfred now is the biggest price and there was 80s around before !

I went to watch the Tonga V Cook Islands game at the LSV in 2013, and what a fantastic game that was.

The 2017 squad is miles better than the 2013 one, and could cause a lot of problems for even the best teams in this WC.

I would fancy them to beat England, and with the state of the NZ team this year, I think they could do them as well.

Looking forward to it.

Just my opinion on their likely starting team

Tonga squad: Andrew Fifita, Mahe Fonua, David Fusitu’a, Siliva Havili, Ata Hingano, Will Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Solomone Kata, Sione Katoa, Samisoni Langi, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sika Manu, Manu Ma’u, Sam Moa, Ben Murdoch Masila, Joe Ofahengaue, Tevita Pangai junior, Ukuma Ta’ai, Sio Siua Taukieaho, Jason Taumalolo, Peni Terepo, Daniel Tupou, Manu Vatuvei.

1 Hopoate

2 Fonua

3 Jennings

4 Kata

5 Tupou

6 Lolohea

7 Hingano

8 Pangai jnr

9 Havili 

10 Moa

11 Ma’u

12 Taukeiaho

13 Taumalolo

14 Ta’ai

15 Ofahengaue

16 A Fifita

17 Terepo

Missing out but could easily be in the starting 17

Murdoch-Masila, Konrad Hurrell, Sika Manu, Manu Vatuvei,

I think they will all be about penetration (get your mind out of the gutter) up the middle. I hope they don't get caught in the one out stuff Samoa did vs England. All Big men but still just men. They will need more then throw it to this guy then that guy to win games. Attack in numbers look for off loads and who knows where these guys could end up at the end of the tournament. 

1 hour ago, B rad said:

I think they will all be about penetration (get your mind out of the gutter) up the middle. I hope they don't get caught in the one out stuff Samoa did vs England. All Big men but still just men. They will need more then throw it to this guy then that guy to win games. Attack in numbers look for off loads and who knows where these guys could end up at the end of the tournament. 

There’s no doubting their threequarters and the pack, it all comes down to how their half backs and Hooker combine. If they can flourish behind a pack that’s on the front foot they’ll cause all sorts of problems with their back line.

12 hours ago, OMEGA said:

There’s no doubting their threequarters and the pack, it all comes down to how their half backs and Hooker combine. If they can flourish behind a pack that’s on the front foot they’ll cause all sorts of problems with their back line.

I think this is a fair point . Even for the upgrade on last time around , that half pairing still has several question marks on it , and is inexperienced and unproven at this level . Hingano is still establishing himself from junior level and Tui is wildly unpredictable and inconsistent in much of what he does , as well as never settling in one position . Havili is a solid if unspectacular hooker , so these are key areas which will be tested in the heat of the comp , and if injury hits in these areas ..?  They have plenty of names around but liniking them together and performing to their max will be another interesting part of watching them 

Archived