Did anyone play themselves out of the England reckoning

OMEGA

You can say it was one game and he's man of steel but ultimately he went missing in a big game. It's all well and good bossing it in games that effectively don't matter but we've got a problem from an England perspective. You  can't pick Smith/Williams/Brown in the halves on this season's form but you've got a 7 who melted under the pressure so what is the better option? Pick a half back who has had a worse season but a proven track record of winning big games or pick a player who's had a better season but folded in a big game?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Gale would look lost behind a beaten pack comes as absolutely no surprise to any of us who watched him play in a Bradford Bulls shirt.

i guess the question is: 'Will he be playing behind a beaten pack in the World Cup?'

20 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Castleford dropped the ball in almost every attacking set they had. Basic knocks on were a constant for their whole team, for the whole game. It was shocking. Gale didn't impress me much, but I don't think you can judge a halfback on that. His team didn't give him a chance.

Absolutely spot on.

10 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Absolutely spot on.

Forget about the other players. Watch HIS performance. It was atrocious, and had nothing to do with being behind a beaten pack, or the amount of dropped ball.

His attitude smelled bad from the start, and it didn't get any better. If we play him against Australia, they will murder him.

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

Forget about the other players. Watch HIS performance. It was atrocious, and had nothing to do with being behind a beaten pack, or the amount of dropped ball.

His attitude smelled bad from the start, and it didn't get any better. If we play him against Australia, they will murder him.

He had a poor game, I agree. It was his worst of the season, I agree. It was the biggest game of the season, I agree.

He was voted the best, most influential player in the Super League this season. I agree with that too. That hasn't just happened by luck. I will be glad to see him in an England shirt.

If we permanently excluded every player from selection that has ever had a bad game, who would be left?

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

No offence, but who else have you got? I've only watched Superleague on the telly this season, but  Danny Brough doesn't look electric and Richie Mathers doesn't inspire confidence.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

He had a poor game, I agree. It was his worst of the season, I agree. It was the biggest game of the season, I agree.

He was voted the best, most influential player in the Super League this season. I agree with that too. That hasn't just happened by luck. I will be glad to see him in an England shirt.

Your opinion mate, and you are obviously entitled to it.

However, in international games we don't need a half back who simply struts around, pointing at space, and shouting at his teammates. My opinion is that he looked like he thought he was better than he actually is, and that he bottled it. We don't need players like that in the WC.

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

No offence, but who else have you got? I've only watched Superleague on the telly this season, but  Danny Brough doesn't look electric and Richie Mathers doesn't inspire confidence.

No, but we'd love a chance to slag off any player ever to pull on the England Jersey before the tournament has begun. Leave us to it...

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If we permanently excluded every player from selection that has ever had a bad game, who would be left?

But he didn't have a BAD game mate, he didn't have any game at all. If he had dropped the ball twenty times running at the opposition, or trying to put his teammates into space, then he could be forgiven for having an off day in a good season, but that just wasn't the case.

3 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

danny Maguire?

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Your opinion mate, and you are obviously entitled to it.

However, in international games we don't need a half back who simply struts around, pointing at space, and shouting at his teammates. My opinion is that he looked like he thought he was better than he actually is, and that he bottled it. We don't need players like that in the WC.

The Man of Steel, who clearly is the best space-pointing strutter available for selection, has probably earned his shirt over the season, unlike others.

Just now, Northern Eel said:

The Man of Steel, who clearly is the best space-pointing strutter available for selection, has probably earned his shirt over the season, unlike others.

If you think that's what England needs, then I'm not really going to get anywhere with this discussion am I?

As long as you are happy if he puts in performances like that.

Enjoy.

Archived