Super League attendances 2017

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds wont be that high next season which will drop the leagues average down a bit although with hull kr back they could make up the difference

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

36 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Have you got last year’s figures for comparison?

If TotalRL's numbers are right for 2016 :

Leeds 15 974
Wigan 13 013
Hull 10 549
Saints 11 538
Warrington 12 258
Castleford 8 992
Catalans 9 252
Huddersfield 5 270
Wakefield 4 584
Widnes 6 100
Salford 4 451

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If those figures are correct, Castlefords attendances actually went down...

the rugby league yearbook gives the cas 2016 average excluding cup games as 7,458

2 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Leeds 15 974      
Wigan 13 013
Hull 10 549
Saints 11 538
Warrington 12 258
Castleford 8 992
Catalans 9 252
Huddersfield 5 270
Wakefield 4 584
Widnes 6 100
Salford 4 451

err

Pretty sure Warrington didn’t average 12,258 last year.

I’d guess we lost 800-1000 per game based on this year’s performances so maybe circa 11,000 would be a realistic 2016 figure. And I’d guess the knock-on effect (pardon the pun) will see another 500-1000 less next year.

So maybe those figures exclude the 8s or something?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Leeds figure will be skewed possibly by the south dump being closed for the last few games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

52 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

the rugby league yearbook gives the cas 2016 average excluding cup games as 7,458

Pretty sure that's more accurate than the other figure posted.

Attendences have increased I think despite us playing less Sunday afternoon games.

1 hour ago, Hvy wg said:

Leeds 15 974
Wigan 13 013
Hull 10 549
Saints 11 538
Warrington 12 258
Castleford 8 992
Catalans 9 252
Huddersfield 5 270
Wakefield 4 584
Widnes 6 100
Salford 4 451

Widnes wasn't 6k last year. Don't think we've broke 6k since getting back into SL

I've got the correct numbers somewhere which I'll dig out when I get a chance

can I ask if those figures include the 8s because it would seem to ne its only the 11 home league games from the first phase that are included for the average

5 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Pretty sure Warrington didn’t average 12,258 last year.

I’d guess we lost 800-1000 per game based on this year’s performances so maybe circa 11,000 would be a realistic 2016 figure. And I’d guess the knock-on effect (pardon the pun) will see another 500-1000 less next year.

So maybe those figures exclude the 8s or something?

Bear in mind you did get a sellout against Widnes although that isn't enough to add that much on to the average to get it up to 12,258. In fact if you say that usually they'd get 10,000 against Widnes, the sellout only adds about 350 to the average.

6 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Salfords went down after a top four finish !?

It's one of the oddities of modern RL. Don't forget Leeds had a shocker last year too and there's looks to be less this year.

Much is made about how jeopardy does nothing to increase crowds but much less is made about how success doesn't seem to have the same affect that it once did. 

I think the season ticket culture is having a long term effect on how people attend games. It's almost like if people decide not to buy one before the season then they are much less likely to go for the rest of the year even if the side is doing well.

3 hours ago, meast said:

Warrington 10,930

Only 70 off with my guess of the real numbers then!   What do I win?   A new half-back?   Please tell me it’s a new half-back...

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

52 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's one of the oddities of modern RL. Don't forget Leeds had a shocker last year too and there's looks to be less this year.

Much is made about how jeopardy does nothing to increase crowds but much less is made about how success doesn't seem to have the same affect that it once did. 

I think the season ticket culture is having a long term effect on how people attend games. It's almost like if people decide not to buy one before the season then they are much less likely to go for the rest of the year even if the side is doing well.

Its not exactly a recent phenomenon.

In 2003, what seems a enternity ago now to (remaining) Bulls supporters, Bradford won everything going.  The club planned on a modest increase in attendances for 2004, and budgeted accordingly. In the event, 2004 attendances instead fell significantly. The financial rot set in to Bradford that season, and it was continual downhill ever since.

Then-chairman Caisley was very worried.  I saw that very first hand. And, in his usual style, he blamed the people of Bradford.  In his infamous statement in the 2003 Annual Report, he was quite unequivocal in his views on folk for not turning ouit in "ever-increasing numbers", and what he said about the consequences if they continued not to do so turned out to be quite prophetic. And correct.  Sadly, Caisley stated that the club "had done its bit" and it was now up to the fans.  WRONG! Like any business, a club has to keep "doing its bit" - and continue to innovate and excite.  Or risk a slow but gradual loss of  market. 

Why the fall in attendances? I guess a host of star names retiring or moving on did not help. And a slightly less-successful season on the field. But I also suspect that some...many? then-supporters felt the only way from there was down - as indeed it proved, in a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Also, the club was slowly ceasing to be as attractive to kids as it initially was, so as kids grew up and found other interests, less new ones came.  This became very clear each year sat in the "Family Stand", with fewer and fewer kids each year.  And I felt things were becoming increasingly stale in the overall offering, especially to kids.  Each year a little less.  Each year nothing major new. Maybe the increasing cash constraints contributed - vicious circle?  And the staleness accelerated after the major financial cutbacks of 2005.

What happened with Bradford should serve as a warning to other clubs.  A year - or years - of major success all too often does not seem to assure increasing attendances. In fact, all-too-often the opposite.  Clubs face a major challenge in ensuriung the unavoidable fan churn is positive not negative. And, as they say in financial services, the past (attendances) is no guide to the future. 

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Obviously only speak for me but i didnt buy a ST this season. & ive not missed a game.

I suppose from a club point of view, fans buying STs means, if the season goes to pot, at least theyve already got the money in

10 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Obviously only speak for me but i didnt buy a ST this season. & ive not missed a game.

I suppose from a club point of view, fans buying STs means, if the season goes to pot, at least theyve already got the money in

I'm not knocking the ST culture as it clearly increases overall attendance. It has created a shift in the habits of fans IMO. 

This is most clearly demonstrated by cup games and playoff games before the Super 8s. 

7 hours ago, southstand loiner said:

can I ask if those figures include the 8s because it would seem to ne its only the 11 home league games from the first phase that are included for the average

There are two sets of figures on that site, both with a different way of presentation.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I do actually thinl ST sales are great for rl clubs.

For example if leigh averaged 6500 this season & 6k of them were ST holders then i tjink the club would be in a great place.

I suppose if youve got very good ST sales then when cup games come round you can offer good deals which other clubs cant

Archived